Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

lazyboy97o

As someone who has been out doing my Christmas shopping the past few days, I thought about all the interactions I've had doing that.

All the stuff you touch at Target, just to put it in your cart. How many others touched it before you did? How many hundreds of people are inside a Nordstrom or Target at any one time, even with the "20% capacity" rule that doesn't seem to do anything. How many thousands and thousands of Christmas shoppers tromp through that same space every single day?

But sitting at a Socially Distanced patio table that is disinfected after each use is somehow more dangerous than that? There's no Science & Data to explain that conundrum, because if there was LA County's legal team representing Dr. Ferrer would have presented it to the judge on Tuesday.

View attachment 518082
”News junkie” who is months behind. Surface contamination is not the major concern.

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

Going to Target, Waltmart or any grocery store is dangerous in a pandemic. The danger has to be accepted because people need food and groceries to live. Yes, they could go so far as to clarify which items Target and Walmart could sell, but that smells of the same kind of government overreach you lile to mock, so I doubt you are sincerely advocating for that.

What you don't need to live, is to eat outside on a patio, when takeout satisfies the same exact need of getting you fed, and keeping small businesses afloat.
100% agree. However, people are not used to living based on "what do I need to do to JUST live, or not?" It's a very straw man approach to the whole outdoor dining conversation. Do people need outdoor dining to live? Absolutely not. But are people up to their wits about staying in, nine months into a pandemic? Totally, and when you mix this conversation with the larger elephant in the room about the measured detrimental health factors of extended shutdown orders, along with the ruining of the economy, then it's completely justifiable to permit outdoor dining at a safe, socially-distant and constantly sanitized location.

Bob Harlem

Looking at a map of ICU shortages, many tend to be along the US/Mexico border (Not just in California either, El Paso is a notable example even though lately it has slowed down with no Thanksgiving bump), which implies a lot of people crossing over, which seems like a really bad reason for closing up businesses if the source of the shortage isn't even coming from the businesses.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

CA lawmakers dine out in Sacramento despite COVID-19 surge | The Sacramento Bee (sacbee.com)

>>For their swearing-in session on Monday, Assembly leaders moved their house from the state Capitol to the Golden 1 Center to make sure lawmakers were appropriately spaced. COVID-19 safety concerns meant that families and guests were excluded from the event.

Just hours later, however, five California state Assembly members dined together outside at a Sacramento restaurant.

Assembly members Adrin Nazarian, D-West Toluca Lake, Chad Mayes, I-Rancho Mirage, Tasha Boerner Horvath, D-Encinitas, Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Chris Ward, D-San Diego, along with Mayes’ fiancée, attended a dinner Monday evening at Maydoon, a newer restaurant in Sacramento’s Midtown neighborhood.

When asked by a Sacramento Bee reporter about their decision to enjoy a multi-household outing, Nazarian responded by asking “Can we not have dinner?”<<

drizgirl

100% agree. However, people are not used to living based on "what do I need to do to JUST live, or not?" It's a very straw man approach to the whole outdoor dining conversation. Do people need outdoor dining to live? Absolutely not. But are people up to their wits about staying in, nine months into a pandemic? Totally, and when you mix this conversation with the larger elephant in the room about the measured detrimental health factors of extended shutdown orders, along with the ruining of the economy, then it's completely justifiable to permit outdoor dining at a safe, socially-distant and constantly sanitized location.
Or the other massive elephant. The one about people losing their life savings and income having more businesses closed than absolutely positively (according to science) need to be closed. It's not about people needing to eat out. It's about people needing to support themselves because certain powerful politicians wouldn't pass a bill and help until after the election.

Apparently just enough government working to close things down. But not enough to pass something to help those they were closing down.

tirian

CA lawmakers dine out in Sacramento despite COVID-19 surge | The Sacramento Bee (sacbee.com)

>>For their swearing-in session on Monday, Assembly leaders moved their house from the state Capitol to the Golden 1 Center to make sure lawmakers were appropriately spaced. COVID-19 safety concerns meant that families and guests were excluded from the event.

Just hours later, however, five California state Assembly members dined together outside at a Sacramento restaurant.

Assembly members Adrin Nazarian, D-West Toluca Lake, Chad Mayes, I-Rancho Mirage, Tasha Boerner Horvath, D-Encinitas, Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Chris Ward, D-San Diego, along with Mayes’ fiancée, attended a dinner Monday evening at Maydoon, a newer restaurant in Sacramento’s Midtown neighborhood.

When asked by a Sacramento Bee reporter about their decision to enjoy a multi-household outing, Nazarian responded by asking “Can we not have dinner?”<<
...And a growing chunk of Americans still think it’s a good idea to concentrate power with politicians or one specific political party of their choice. SMH.

el_super

Or the other massive elephant. The one about people losing their life savings and income having more businesses closed than absolutely positively (according to science) need to be closed. It's not about people needing to eat out. It's about people needing to support themselves because certain powerful politicians wouldn't pass a bill and help until after the election.

Apparently just enough government working to close things down. But not enough to pass something to help those they were closing down.

You're both right: this has gone on for far too long and the people elected to protect this nation from all threats, failed to do so. Other nations were able to better control the spread and outbreak, by enforcing lockdowns and providing for the population. A three month lockdown from March to June probably would have prevented the death we are seeing now, but because no one was willing to pay for it, we are in the mess we are in.

Even back in March this was posed as a question of whether we wanted to limit deaths or not. It was always understood that the economy would be ruined by this. But by choosing to end lockdowns too early, implementing them so haphazardly and not enforcing them, we have allowed the virus to continue killing, while also having to accept the damage to the economy.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Provide the Science & Data that shows Outdoor Dining is responsible for spreading Covid.
The data and studies show the opposite, actually. Same with schools. And now, same many indoor businesses. This isn't where the spread is coming from. It is no longer enough to say these places and activities are causing spread by pointing to anecdotal evidence or by making overreaching assumptions, when real data shows it not to be the case. But small businesses will continue to be closed, or be shamed if they try to fight back. It doesn't matter if they lose everything. "If it saves just one life..." right? I imagine you will not convince anyone to change their minds one way or another, no matter where the current data and evidence leads...it is easier to ignore one side of the equation when we are so baked into our opinions...

denyuntilcaught

Anyone catch Dr. Ferrer's emotional outburst yesterday? Crying while reporting numbers? Between this and her department's complete incompetence in providing ANY evidence for recent shutdowns, I think she should resign due to her obvious inability to lead and think rationally in a time of crisis.

The irony in calling out a person's dramatic response in such a dramatic manner. Her breaking down has nothing to do with her inability to lead (not being able to provide evidence is something else altogether.)

TP2000

Original Poster
The irony in calling out a person's dramatic response in such a dramatic manner. Her breaking down has nothing to do with her inability to lead (not being able to provide evidence is something else altogether.)

Valid point, but her crying at a press conference is just not a good look for leadership. Can you imagine if President Roosevelt had cried during his fireside chats to a scared nation? Or if President Bush wandered into the chaos of the destroyed World Trade Center on September 14th and cried into his bullhorn?

She's probably under a great deal of stress this week because of her failed legal case. But still...

I can be sympathetic a bit because these county and state health directors never ran for these positions, they were simply appointed by politicians. They were used to being in anonymous yet very highly paid bureaucratic jobs for life. They had big salaries, cushy government pensions and paid benefits, lots of time off and never had to work weekends or holidays, and were gone from the office by Noon on Fridays. Then Covid happened and BOOM! they are some of the most scrutinized and busy bureaucrats in history.

The poor lady doctor who had this same job for Orange County resigned in a panic because people were showing up to public county meetings and protesting her decisions to her face. She wasn't used to that and apparently failed to realize her career was a senior leadership position that may subject her to public scrutiny. So she quit suddenly and returned to her upper-middle class anonymity.

Meanwhile, Outdoor Dining is still shut down and restaurants are failing left and right with no evidence to show why they made those shutdown decisions.

TP2000

Original Poster
Good point from this Twitterer on Irvine Spectrum. It's packed, just like South Coast Plaza and every other mall in OC that has plenty of free parking. Downtown Disney has to get rid of the $10 parking! (with complimentary half mile HealthWalk included with every $10 ticket)

I don't know why TDA is being so stubborn on that.

Travel Junkie

if President Bush wandered into the chaos of the destroyed World Trade Center on September 14th and cried into his bullhorn?
Yeah that would never happen while he was President.

1607645487240.png

TP2000

Original Poster
Yeah that would never happen while he was President.

View attachment 518158

You know what's funny about that? As I was typing the analogy of President Bush not crying into his bullhorn at a destroyed World Trade Center I thought to myself "TP2000, you are only going to convince someone to Google up a photo of a President crying at some point in history." 🤣

And you got it.

I didn't know who the President would be, and if it would be a more recent situation of President Bush or Obama crying that was due to some national tragedy, or if it was going to be a historical situation like President Kennedy crying because the Secret Service had to quickly get the naked stewardesses out of the White House pool since Jackie was coming home early. But I figured we'd get a photo of a crying President at some point in history. 😭

TP2000

Original Poster
I must say, this newly abandoned Downtown Disney has led to some really bizarre scenes.

As I'm sure we all know and have experienced ourselves, that horrible gridlocked walkway leading into Downtown Disney in front of La Brea Bakery was always such a hassle. Even on "slow" days, that walkway between the bakery and the fountain was crowded. And in the evenings, it just became a gridlocked mess.

But now? Here's a nice lady who captured this exact infamous spot yesterday afternoon. And it's EMPTY!

lazyboy97o

The poor lady doctor who had this same job for Orange County resigned in a panic because people were showing up to public county meetings and protesting her decisions to her face. She wasn't used to that and apparently failed to realize her career was a senior leadership position that may subject her to public scrutiny. So she quit suddenly and returned to her upper-middle class anonymity.
You’re right, the threats were not a problem, it was the civil disagreement...

TP2000

Original Poster
You’re right, the threats were not a problem, it was the civil disagreement...

FYI for those not in OC, a group of protesters showed up outside her tract home in Laguna Niguel, and county meetings were heated and included lots of rowdy shouting and threatening anger directed at her. While none of the behavior crossed into the illegal, it was people voicing their frustration at her. I don't envy her one bit.

But she was clearly not cut out for a job in public leadership. She may not have understood what her job choice actually was when she took it pre-Covid, but the Covid situation made it suddenly clear that she had chosen a career as a public leader. And her leadership skills were sorely lacking in the face of sharp criticism.

She may be a fine doctor. But she was not a leader.

It's probably for the best that she resigned suddenly in June, it was clearly not a job she was cut out for. Her replacement has done a much better job and is able to withstand the pressures and responsibilities of being a county health director in a pandemic, with a lot of angry taxpayers questioning his decisions. But he hasn't resigned.

This news report shows the protesters that appeared at county meetings and the man at the one county meeting who made the statement that was construed as a "death threat" against Dr. Quick before she resigned suddenly. Style points from the death threat guy for his pocket square in his sport coat! And yes, this group of people outside county headquarters is what is considered "protesting" here in calm and courteous Orange County.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom