Surfacing work continuing at TTC

elisatonks

Original Poster
They started to repave the goofy parking lot yesterday, there is a couple of lots left to do (Daisy and Pluto, i think they also still have minnie to do, plus the tram lane on that side.)

SirGoofy

The TTC needs some serious work. Considering how it's the first thing most people see that's park related, it's pretty embarrassing in it's current state.

EPCOT Explorer

The TTC needs some serious work. Considering how it's the first thing most people see that's park related, it's pretty embarrassing in it's current state.

They need to do away with that look completely. (It shares the look with the Purple Gates). It can be sleek, shining, and really a great gateway to all the parks.

And this is the E.P.C.O.T. City Fan in me...but...why not make it look like the Transportation "Lobby"!?

Exprcoofto

It's extremely embarrassing. I can't believe how old and rustic it looks. That only works on specific attractions, not one of the first things guests may see at WDW.

While it needs a "refurb" I'd rather see them put some more money in and redo the entire TTC. Though I doubt it'll happen :brick:

jt04

I'd like to see them turn the TTC area into a new monorail resort and relocate guest parking to the west of the MK. Two or three Universal-esque parking garages would work well. Then Disney would have all that land where the current parking and race track is to build on. 5th gate?:lol:

I know it won't happen but it would be nice.

WDW Vacationer

I'd like to see them turn the TTC area into a new monorail resort and relocate guest parking to the west of the MK. Two or three Universal-esque parking garages would work well. Then Disney would have all that land where the current parking and race track is to build on. 5th gate?:lol:

I know it won't happen but it would be nice.

Why on earth would you want parking garages in WDW. They are the most unsightly,un-Disney things on earth.

jt04

Why on earth would you want parking garages in WDW. They are the most unsightly,un-Disney things on earth.

They wouldn't be seen anymore than the one's at Uni are seen once you reach CW. And massive parking lots ain't exactly pretty.

Parking garages can also be hidden behind plantings. Sprawling parking lots.....no. It would work well. Covered parking, better security, no need to run the monorails as cattle cars, no need to run the ferrys, no need to run trams, ease and convienance for guests, much lower carbon footprint, greener and leaner, serious energy savings. Shall I keep going?

SirGoofy

They wouldn't be seen anymore than the one's at Uni are seen once you reach CW. And massive parking lots ain't exactly pretty.

Parking garages can also be hidden behind plantings. Sprawling parking lots.....no. It would work well. Covered parking, better security, no need to run the monorails as cattle cars, no need to run the ferrys, no need to run trams, ease and convienance for guests, much lower carbon footprint, greener and leaner, serious energy savings. Shall I keep going?

These words aren't used often when talking to you, but I agree. Although, I do enjoy the story/theming behind the trek over the 7 Seas Lagoon for entering the MK.

Even though that's been killed by the bus system.:rolleyes:

jt04

These words aren't used often when talking to you, but I agree. Although, I do enjoy the story/theming behind the trek over the 7 Seas Lagoon for entering the MK.

Even though that's been killed by the bus system.:rolleyes:

You know how much I think the details and backstory matter. But I really think the difficulty in getting to the MK is counter-productive. I understand why they did it originally but with 4 theme parks it just does not work anymore. There is land just north of the GF and it could be connected to the MK's main gate by enclosed moving sidewalks or a TTA type people mover. I bet it would pay for itself in 5 years. Not to mention the revenue Disney would get from a new monorail resort. By the way, the monorails could then be for the use of resort guests and day guests traveling to the resorts to eat. The monorails would be infinitely more pleasent to use :lol:.

BigThunderMatt

You know how much I think the details and backstory matter. But I really think the difficulty in getting to the MK is counter-productive. I understand why they did it originally but with 4 theme parks it just does not work anymore. There is land just north of the GF and it could be connected to the MK's main gate by enclosed moving sidewalks or a TTA type people mover. I bet it would pay for itself in 5 years. Not to mention the revenue Disney would get from a new monorail resort. By the way, the monorails could then be for the use of resort guests and day guests traveling to the resorts to eat. The monorails would be infinitely more pleasent to use :lol:.

You're overestimating how much land the TTC sits on, not to mention the fact that the parking lot and TTC are separated by Seven Seas Drive. If you're talking about just using the current TTC land and not the parking lot, there's not enough room for a hotel.

You'd also not be talking about just relocating parking, you'd also be relocating the central offices for multiple departments, that's a huge expense. Cast for the Polynesian, the TTC, and transportation all park in Chip & Dale. Not to mention anything NOT paved in the parking lot is part of a wetland preserve.

People tend to forget how central the TTC really is, and how many different areas it is important for.

jt04

You're overestimating how much land the TTC sits on, not to mention the fact that the parking lot and TTC are separated by Seven Seas Drive. If you're talking about just using the current TTC land and not the parking lot, there's not enough room for a hotel.

You'd also not be talking about just relocating parking, you'd also be relocating the central offices for multiple departments, that's a huge expense. Cast for the Polynesian, the TTC, and transportation all park in Chip & Dale. Not to mention anything NOT paved in the parking lot is part of a wetland preserve.

People tend to forget how central the TTC really is, and how many different areas it is important for.

No, I realize a new resort would need to use the parking lot. Or they could just expand the Poly. They could reserve a section of the existing lot for support parking and even add a small parking garage and offices as part of it. They would obviously have to reroute roads etc but there is space to do so. I've looked at the current layout and it's not so far fetched it couldn't be done. By the way, they could also add a hotel where the race track is that could allow for a new golf resort because it would be next to the palm course. Build an elevated walkway or reroute the road and they have another golf resort.

Captain Hank

There's also the huge issue of whether the land in that area is anywhere near stable enough to support a parking structure larger than the one at Universal. Not to mention the equally huge issue of sight lines from within the park. In addition, this would cause unnecessary havoc with the transportation system. Plus, the parking rates would likely increase even more to facilitate the construction. Seems like lots of hassle to undo a transportation scheme that's worked pretty well for the last 39 years for a relatively limited ROI.

Not going to happen.

jt04

There's also the huge issue of whether the land in that area is anywhere near stable enough to support a parking structure larger than the one at Universal. Not to mention the equally huge issue of sight lines from within the park. In addition, this would cause unnecessary havoc with the transportation system. Plus, the parking rates would likely increase even more to facilitate the construction. Seems like lots of hassle to undo a transportation scheme that's worked pretty well for the last 39 years for a relatively limited ROI.

Not going to happen.

Never say never.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
They need to do away with that look completely. (It shares the look with the Purple Gates). It can be sleek, shining, and really a great gateway to all the parks.

And this is the E.P.C.O.T. City Fan in me...but...why not make it look like the Transportation "Lobby"!?

I like this idea. It would be great if it could be enclosed some how although not necessary. At minimum they could get rid of the superfluous ticket windows. With the invention of the internet far less people are actually buying tickets in person so there is no need to have so many useless structures. I realize there aren't too many ways to make a transportation depot look pretty but there has to be something better than obnoxious purple, teal, and yellow paint everywhere. I'm glad to hear they are beginning to addresd the roofing issues too.

EPCOT Explorer

I like this idea. It would be great if it could be enclosed some how although not necessary. At minimum they could get rid of the superfluous ticket windows. With the invention of the internet far less people are actually buying tickets in person so there is no need to have so many useless structures. I realize there aren't too many ways to make a transportation depot look pretty but there has to be something better than obnoxious purple, teal, and yellow paint everywhere. I'm glad to hear they are beginning to addresd the roofing issues too.

They could EASILY enclose it with lots of pretty plate glass so that you can still get those first glimpses of CCastle. :D

Rob562

Not going to happen.

This hypothetical parking garage complex would require a 6-to-8 lane highway to get from where the current MK toll booths are, past the GF and up to that location. Do you *really* think Disney is going to lay a highway right past the front door of their flagship hotel?

Not to mention tick off the people at Shades of Green and ruin the serenity of a good chunk of those golf courses.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom