Superbowl 2009

CLandrum

I just bought my plane tickets and it looks like were going for sure Jan 30-Feb 9, 2009. Does anyone know how the Superbowl being held in Tampa will affect things such as attendance. I know it has been held there before so if anyone has any past expirience please let me know. Any info would be appriciated.:sohappy:

Carolyn1717

It's really hard to tell. Sometimes it can be really crowded. What happens is Dad goes off to the football game and the family stays at Disney. If they are coming anyway, the game is only 1 day, and then they spend time at the theme parks. Tampa is not that far away, so you can just drive over.

Upvote 0

LeeLee D

Your question got me thinking....:shrug:

Where in the World can you watch the game? Is there such a thing as a WDW Superbowl party? At All Star Sports maybe??

It would be cool to watch the big game with Mickey!

Upvote 0

krankenstein

Where in the World can you watch the game? Is there such a thing as a WDW Superbowl party? At All Star Sports maybe??

I've never been during the game, but I would think the best place would be the ESPN Club at The Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

IRBIWDW

I just bought my plane tickets and it looks like were going for sure Jan 30-Feb 9, 2009. Does anyone know how the Superbowl being held in Tampa will affect things such as attendance. I know it has been held there before so if anyone has any past expirience please let me know. Any info would be appriciated.:sohappy:

That is a good question and I can't wait to hear what people have to say. We will be there too and I never thought of Superbowl possibly being an issue. :wave:

Upvote 0

Buccaneer

Super Bowl

The Super Bowl in Florida and the Daytona 500 will bring larger crowds but it is nothing that will be unbearable. I was there when the Super Bowl was played in Jacksonville and Miami. Both cities are farther than Tampa but they still impacted WDW crowds.

There was no formal place to watch the Super Bowl the two times I was in WDW at the same time. However, at any resort bar that has televisions you will find a gathering of football fans. We stayed at Pop Century both times and the pool-side bar was crowded. You also may get an opportunity to see the player from the winning team that says..."I'm going to Disney World!" They will usually arrive in a day or two after the game for a parade in the Magic Kingdom. Although, that is not guaranteed.

One other thing to consider in February would be Mardi Gras week. This I found to be a bigger factor rather than the Super Bowl in Florida. Folks who live in or near New Orleans escape to WDW for Mardi Gras. It is impressive to see such a large "group" of people from one area. I remember everyone wearing LSU shirts and hats. I never made the connection until Fat Tuesday when I overheard some of the New Orleans folks talking.:brick:

Enjoy your trip in February! I am making my trip in 2008 during Christmasweek...Dec. 22-30th. I am bracing myself for the crowds.

Upvote 0

santa's surpriz

Who ever thought of this, kudos! I am planning my next trip end of Jan/beginning of February and never thought once about the superbowl! I am not a football fanatic and do not keep track of that sort of thing. I was only trying to avoid President's Day and MLK weekend. Glitches in the plans....what is the date of the superbowl 2009? Does Daytona fall around that time?

Upvote 0

Figment25

We were there for SUPER BOWL XL in Feb 2006 and we watched it at the ESPN club at the boardwalk. what a great time we had the steelers won and it was just a blast. we did arive at 1:30 for a 6:30 game but it flew by real quick. being that the game was in detroit it had no inpact on the crowds in WDW (LOL).

Upvote 0

manatee74

We went several years ago when the bowl was in jacksonville. Crowds were light before the game, but the next couple of days were really crowded. Not like presidents week but still pretty bad

Upvote 0

Teenchy

ESPN Zone can get crowded quick since its the obvious choice. Other possible choices would be the Wide World of Sports "Sportsbar" or one of the resort loug=nges as they would probably not be as crowded. Or go outside the gates to Celebrate, there is a restaurant/sportsbar there (Forgot the name) or perhaps one of the offsite restaurants with a bar like Cheveys at the Crossroads shopping center.

Mickey will be working that day as always in the parks so not much chance taking in the game with him!;)

Upvote 0

MaeMaesMagic

WOW THIS NEVER CROSSED MY MIND, NOT SURE IF IT WILL EFFECT US, GOING 1/25 TO 1/31 KINDA WORRIED AS WE TRAVEL THIS TIME OF YEAR BECAUSE IT IS THE LOWEST CROWD TIME:shrug::( IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS OR WORDS OF ADVICE ID LOVE IT
THANKS
:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu:brick::brick::brick::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Upvote 0

CLandrum

Original Poster
I just checked and it looks like the Daytona 500 is Feb 15th which is also Presidents day weekend. I am in the clear for this one.

Upvote 0

KC82271

On all TVs at All-Star Sports

We were there in 2005, staying at ASSp. The TV in the food court, as well as the TVs at the Bar were all tuned to the game. Supposedly, there was a big party at the ESPN Zone.

Upvote 0

earldw28

The folks at Touring Plans seem to think (and I kinda have to concur) that WDW will feel the effects of the Super Bowl crowds. The crowd calendar goes from 4's and 5's a few days before the Super Bowl to 8's and 9's during the Super Bowl and the day or two surrounding. you have to figure there will be a significant number of people who make an early trip down that way and hang out at Disney for a while. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom