Super Bowl in Tampa Bay

mrerk

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Super Bowl is in Tampa Bay on February 1, 2009. Does this normally have any effect on WDW?

MissM

Doubt it. It was here before and the only real PITA was traffic on I-275 which is already bad (and which is currently under MAJOR construction) gets even worse. Going into or out of downtown Tampa becomes basically impossible. And since you need to take I-275 to get to I-4 to get to Orlando (or vice-versa), well, it bothers that traffic as well.

My only comment would be that anyone flying into or out of Tampa International at that time but going to WDW is in for really horrible traffic.

SpongeScott

The Super Bowl is in Tampa Bay on February 1, 2009. Does this normally have any effect on WDW?
Not to split hairs with you, but this is a bone of contention in the Bay area: The Super Bowl is in Tampa, not in Tampa Bay. If that was the case, it would be water polo. :wave:

MissM

Not to split hairs with you, but this is a bone of contention in the Bay area: The Super Bowl is in Tampa, not in Tampa Bay. If that was the case, it would be water polo. :wave:
Most people know the collective region as "Tampa Bay" or "Tampa Bay Area" so it's no big surprise that someone would use "Tampa Bay" instead of just "Tampa." Heck, even our football team is the Tampa Bay Bucs so... *shrugs* And the official Tampa Chamber of Commerce website calls it "Tampa Bay" as well.

(And it's not a bone nor peeve to me and I've been in the Tampa Bay Area for over 20 years.)

brent2124

I dont care if its Tampa or Tampa Bay it will affect Disney World somewhat..... The stadium holds almost 70,000 for the game in addition to event staff, players, broadcasters etcc..... People come for the week or weekend and the game is only Sunday night, so the rest of the time these people need something to do. WDW is only about an hours drive away and is sure to see a spike in attendence that weekend.

Susan Savia

We've been to Disney World around the Super Bowl time and have found no difference in traffic nor attendance in the parks. It's a very good time of the year to travel there. :)

brent2124

We've been to Disney World around the Super Bowl time and have found no difference in traffic nor attendance in the parks. It's a very good time of the year to travel there. :)

THe point is the Super Bowl is in Tampa this year and is only about an hour from WDW, not just that its super bowl weekend.

Susan Savia

THe point is the Super Bowl is in Tampa this year and is only about an hour from WDW, not just that its super bowl weekend.

Very true, but having been during that period of time a number of times, we have found that the crowds weren't any different then any other weekend, during the winter months. Holiday weekends (Presidents) seem to bring in more of a crowd.

PixieTinkerbell

I think there might be a small increase in attendance on Friday and Saturday but they parks are generally very slow that time of year so it shouldn't be to noticeable.

On a tangent, I really hope I'm right because the 1st is my birthday. It sucks enough that my birthday is the same day as the Super Bowl, so it would just be awful if the Magic Kingdom was packed.

MissM

February 1st is a Sunday. So if there is any increase in WDW attendance it would be on Friday, January 30th or Saturday, January 31st. I don't think people would stay another full week if they flew in for the Super Bowl. NO ONE who came down for the Super Bowl would be there Sunday. They'll be nose-deep in football.

I just really don't see WDW being overrun with Super Bowl visitors because the people coming to see the event are going to be really into football and not theme parks most likely. (Not saying you can't like both, but I imagine the vast majority aren't going to be interested in splitting their attention that weekend.)

goofntink

Just to let you guys know,most of the hotels in Tampa are ripping off those coming to the Super Bowl.They are requiring minimum stay of 5-7 days to book for that particular weekend depending on the chain.Have some family members who were going to drive here Friday before the game,stay in a hotel Saturday night,then head home after the game.They are coming to stay at Disney with us instead because of this.Since we were already planning to take advantage of the pay for 4 deal,we booked and are staying at POP starting that weekend.We booked the rooms under our names,they offered to pay half,and are only staying with us the one night.LOL..Worked out for all of us.:D

palmage

Only with Tampons.
The Rays had no problem playing in Tampa Bay.....well one problem, they lost.

Carebee21

I think it'll be more crowded because of the superbowl. I know that's why we're coming. The superbowl festivites (all the superbowl booths, card shows, autograph signers, special superbowl coverage, etc all begins on Friday Jan 23. My husband has to be in Tampa from Jan 23-Jan 25 and Jan 30- Feb 1 so we decided to make it a family trip and do Disneyworld. Since my husband will be busy some days, I'm also bringing my parents to help me in the parks. And I know a few other families in my husbands line of work are doing the same thing. Multiply that by all of the employees and extra people for the superbowl and it's going to add up quickly.

raceroom

I feel most people coming to the super bowl will be there for the game not wdw. With the money it cost to the game I wonder if there would be any spill over. Also if there is any increase in crowds, I think it would be the week before the super bowl. :shrug: Just my thoughts.

smk

Sadly, I now know I won't even care about the super bowl this year.....colts lost :cry:. Maybe I should mend my broken heart and take a trip to my hapy place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom