Sun Protection in Parks

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
So, before I start this isn't a discussion on Vitamin D, benefits of sun etc etc.
I haven't been to WDW since my diagnosis with Melanoma ("skin" cancer that kills 7 people a day in UK, caused by exposure to UV before age of 21), and am going back next year. I need about 20 bottles of sunscreen for me and my family for our two week trip. I have 3 questions:
1. Can I get UVB/UVA 5* shipped in from Garden Grocer or similar?
2. What rides have shaded areas (I can't remember as it "didn't matter" last time I went.
3. what sun safety message does Disney give out? Last time I went to LEGOLAND in UK, they actively encouraged people to put on suncream, staff were seen doing so and they sold big floppy unisex hats.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sorry to hear about your melanoma, take care of yourself!
A lot of the rides have shaded queue lines, or at least a good portion of it is shaded somewhat it is probably easier to list the ones I have experienced that I think DO NOT have a lot of shade:
MK: tomorrowland speedway, Splash Mountain
Epcot: can't think of any
HS: Tower of Terror (although has a lot of trees so depending on the time it might be shady)
AK: perhaps if you are waiting for the Nemo show.
Again those are the ones I can' think of right now that don't have much shade.

Have you thought about bringing an umbrella with you for extra shade?

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
A lot of the rides have shaded queue lines, or at least a good portion of it is shaded somewhat it is probably easier to list the ones I have experienced that I think DO NOT have a lot of shade:
HS: Tower of Terror (although has a lot of trees so depending on the time it might be shady)

The main problem I have with non-shaded areas is overheating as I wear long sleeves, hat, glasses (MM was discovered on my face) I get the GAC equivalent in UK parks so will bring DR note with me to WDW.
But my point with my post was - what are Disney doing as a company with relation to sun safety?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've only heard announcement about wearing sunscreen at Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom and that was during the opening spiel. I haven't really paid attention to any other promotions Disney might have done for sun safety.

Goofyernmost

I've only heard announcement about wearing sunscreen at Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom and that was during the opening spiel. I haven't really paid attention to any other promotions Disney might have done for sun safety.
I find myself in this position more often then I like to but I'm not sure I understand what "Disney" is supposed to do about sun protection. Isn't that a personal situation. I don't think it is up to Disney to protect you from nature. It's like saying, what is Disney doing to make sure that I am wearing the proper underwear.

I'm sure they will be happy to sell you all the sunscreen you can use, but, I don't think that they can force you to use it. Unless they decide to put all their parks in a huge building to get it out of the sun, I think you probably are aware that it is outdoors and if it's daytime, the sun will have some influence even on a cloudy day.

If the question is how much of Disney is out in the open? Most of it. To some degree all the queues at least start out in the sunshine but many are in covered areas, depending on the time of day. For fear of starting another lively discussion, at least for the moment Disney has a system in place to help people that cannot stand out in the sun, for reasons that the OP listed. Go to Guest Services to get that additional help where needed.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've never needed sunscreen at a Disney Park outside of if I decided to spend a full day at the Water Parks. Even then we didn't use sunscreen, I just sprayed myself the next day to prevent a burn on my neck.

It's really not that big a deal. You are moving around too much, and your environments vary too much.

I got more red on the Cruise than I ever have at WDW...

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I find myself in this position more often then I like to but I'm not sure I understand what "Disney" is supposed to do about sun protection. Isn't that a personal situation. I don't think it is up to Disney to protect you from nature. It's like saying, what is Disney doing to make sure that I am wearing the proper underwear.

I'm sure they will be happy to sell you all the sunscreen you can use, but, I don't think that they can force you to use it. Unless they decide to put all their parks in a huge building to get it out of the sun, I think you probably are aware that it is outdoors and if it's daytime, the sun will have some influence even on a cloudy day.

If the question is how much of Disney is out in the open? Most of it. To some degree all the queues at least start out in the sunshine but many are in covered areas, depending on the time of day. For fear of starting another lively discussion, at least for the moment Disney has a system in place to help people that cannot stand out in the sun, for reasons that the OP listed. Go to Guest Services to get that additional help where needed.

I agree it really isn't Disney's responsibility to make sure we wear sunscreen. Can you imagine if they forced people to put it on? It would be like enter the turnstile and get a spray of sunscreen! ;)

Tater tot

When I go to the park, I always keep a bottle of the mist 50spf sunscreen in my backpack because I burn easily. I spray my arms and face a couple times while there. As to the original poster's question. I have never seen any promotional material at Disney about sun safety. I do know they sell sunscreen in all the parks and also at the resorts.

MissM

First off, ugh. Sorry to hear of your skin cancer! I can definitely understand wanting to be proactive about it not coming back. Especially given that the Florida sun has MUCH more intense UV rays then other parts of the country. (In the summer, the UV index here is typically 10-11+ daily! So it's not something to mess around with.)

I think there's a lot of areas that are NOT covered that you're going to notice. I was shocked at how the Everest queue for example - a relatively new ride! - had so much unshaded, open and HOT parts to it. Seems absurd to me that they wouldn't have been more proactive in a newer ride's construction about leaving people standing out in the beating sun.

As a FL resident of extremely fair skin and a UV allergy (I have "PMLE" which means sometimes my body has an allergic reaction to UV light mistaking it for an immune system attack) I never go without sunscreen. I personally really like the Neutrogena Helioplex line. They have both a totally non-greasy, lotion and several spray versions. I find both are quite excellent. They are available at any local store in the area from supermarkets like Publix to drugstores like Walgreens or CVS. (All of these stores are extremely abundant in the area.)

If you haven't already, you might also look for hats and clothing that provide SPF/UV block as well. I've seen them on amazon and sports accessory/athletci stores so it might be something to look into. While most clothes will offer you a small amount of protection, ones with the UV block provide a more dependable amount of sun protection.

And don't forget, you can always use a sun umbrella too to make your own shade! I've actually seen those for sale in the Japan pavilion at Epcot but I'm sure you can probably find them online as well.

Have fun!

ob1thx1138

I am red headed and pretty fair skinned. I don't tan and I burn easily if I spend time in the pool so I tend to wear sun screen quite a bit. However I never use sun screen at Disney World because it has never been an issue. I do wear a hat to keep the sun off my face, but I have never had an issue spending the entire day in the park and getting sun burned. I guess it is because so many of the attractions are inside and the fact that there is plenty of shade, but it has just never been an issue with me.

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
Thank you all (except one - but I'll get onto that!),I'm not expecting Disney to do anything per say, but as I was last there, pre-diagnosis and unaware of the dangers of UV, I really didn't give it a thought. I was just wondering how visual the sun safety merchandise was to park-goers. It was a musing (not amusing :) ) that's all. Thanks all, however:
[quote="englanddg, post: 5677542, member: 83383

It's really not that big a deal. You are moving around too much, and your environments vary too much.

I got more red on the Cruise than I ever have at WDW...[/quote]

What you have just said to me there are no words for but I'll try. Firstly I can only assume you have never been touched by Melanoma within your family, because I can assure you it IS a big deal, If you know about Melanoma then I am beyond offended. It take people far too young, and is entirely preventable through protecting yourself and children from UV. Vitamin D deficiency cannot kill, Melanoma can and does. 7 people a day in the UK.
Secondly, moving around too much? Do you think the sun only gets you if you are static?
Lastly, if you got that red (presumably because you were static), then I would get yourself to a dermatologist to get any moles or skin changes looked at.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thank you all (except one - but I'll get onto that!),I'm not expecting Disney to do anything per say, but as I was last there, pre-diagnosis and unaware of the dangers of UV, I really didn't give it a thought. I was just wondering how visual the sun safety merchandise was to park-goers. It was a musing (not amusing :) ) that's all. Thanks all, however:
What you have just said to me there are no words for but I'll try.

Ok.

Firstly I can only assume you have never been touched by Melanoma within your family, because I can assure you it IS a big deal, If you know about Melanoma then I am beyond offended.

I'm sorry you are beyond offended.

It take people far too young, and is entirely preventable through protecting yourself and children from UV. Vitamin D deficiency cannot kill, Melanoma can and does. 7 people a day in the UK.

Any preventable death is generally seen as tragic, wouldn't you agree?

Secondly, moving around too much? Do you think the sun only gets you if you are static?

No. I think that when you are spending the vast portion of your day not in direct exposure to the sun, your exposure is therefore limited. As a result, if you stand (or lay) in direct exposure, like sun tanning, at the pool or on a boat, you have a much stronger need for UV protection than if you are, say, walking from the covered mostly indoor queue at Mission: Space to go have lunch at the Electric Umbrella.

Lastly, if you got that red (presumably because you were static), then I would get yourself to a dermatologist to get any moles or skin changes looked at.

Thank you for your medical advice.

Tinkerkell

My family uses a lot of sun screen. My dh has had various skin cancers, including melanoma twice. I have a sun allergy. Our dermatologist recommends Neutrogena or Aveeno SPF 55. She says that anything beyond SPF 55 doesn't work better. She is also a fan of lotions, which sink into the skin, rather than sprays which half end up in the air. The key is *reapplying sunscreen OFTEN* especially if you are swimming or sweaty.

We don't stand in sunny lines for long because we either use FP wisely or most queues have shade. We do get sun exposure at WDW, but we wear hats and use sunscreen. I have switched from shorts to capris for more coverage on my legs.

Britt

The main problem I have with non-shaded areas is overheating as I wear long sleeves, hat, glasses (MM was discovered on my face) I get the GAC equivalent in UK parks so will bring DR note with me to WDW.
But my point with my post was - what are Disney doing as a company with relation to sun safety?
Why do they need to do anything? It is OUR responsibility to take care of ourselves, our health. Why are we depending on Disney to make sure WE are protected from the sun. They sell hats, they sell sunscreen, there are plenty of shaded areas, as well as indoor places to eat.

Disney is in no way responsible for peoples "sun safety"...thats on us as individual adults responsible for our OWN health.

The Mighty Tim

The queue at Universe of Energy at EPCOT doesn't have much shade outside.

Tigger19

Sorry about the diagnosis,
I'm very fair skinned and burn really quick! My ritual is apply sun cream every 2 hours. I'm quite fearful of the sun so I apply far too much! But I don't get burned so I can't complain :)
Most attractions in Disney are shaded, especially MK and some staff at Disney have told me to make sure I apply plenty of sun cream as I'm very white:p

DJMoore2011

To my knowledge the only thing I have heard of Disney doing as a COURTESY was for those standing in line for Be Our Guest Restaurant, if I remember the thread correctly they were loaning out umbrellas for Guests to use while waiting in the lunch line and offering drinks of water. I do not remember how long ago the thread was or if they are still doing it.

Over all Disney doesn't do anything, they expect that you know what needs to be done and that you do it yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom