Sun Protection in Parks

wdwstateofmind

I've found that bucket hats are very well suited to Disney.
They keep the sun off your ears, dry quickly if they get rained on, and can easily be wadded up and stuffed into your shorts pocket during a ride.

image hosting 10mb limit
Except wearing a hat in Florida makes you sweat 10X more and keeps a lot of heat in your body making it hotter...I personally get the spray sunscreen and use it on my face and head so I can lose some degrees with the evaporation going on up top....

Disvillain63

Thank you all (except one - but I'll get onto that!),I'm not expecting Disney to do anything per say, but as I was last there, pre-diagnosis and unaware of the dangers of UV, I really didn't give it a thought. I was just wondering how visual the sun safety merchandise was to park-goers. It was a musing (not amusing :) ) that's all. Thanks all, however:
[quote="englanddg, post: 5677542, member: 83383

It's really not that big a deal. You are moving around too much, and your environments vary too much.

I got more red on the Cruise than I ever have at WDW...

What you have just said to me there are no words for but I'll try. Firstly I can only assume you have never been touched by Melanoma within your family, because I can assure you it IS a big deal, If you know about Melanoma then I am beyond offended. It take people far too young, and is entirely preventable through protecting yourself and children from UV. Vitamin D deficiency cannot kill, Melanoma can and does. 7 people a day in the UK.
Secondly, moving around too much? Do you think the sun only gets you if you are static?
Lastly, if you got that red (presumably because you were static), then I would get yourself to a dermatologist to get any moles or skin changes looked at.[/quote]
I don't believe @englanddg meant anything by his comment. I didn't take it as he was really referring that it was "no big deal" in the manner you have implied. In the states, it is an expression used to mean in the case of this discussion, that he's never felt there was a great need for sunscreen in the parks...it was his way of saying that the rides/attractions had enough coverage.

I tend to agree that most of the rides have plenty of coverage and that a few...and they've been mentioned...may be iffy. I have had numerous skin cancer spots/moles, etc... removed. My students ask about every scar that they see and I talk to them often. At Disney, I tend to put on my sunscreen before I leave my resort room and I wear my hat and sunglasses. I do wear capris instead of shorts but I wear tops with short-sleeves, as I cannot stand to be warm. If I get too warm I am miserable and tend to overheat. I have never gotten more than a kiss of sun while at Disney ... and that's going from rope drop to the close of the park.

Bring your sunscreen...buy it at the resort...it is available here in the states...all 50.
Disneyland has far less coverage on their rides/attractions, so Disney has made some changes...maybe not as fast as some would like...but it is a choice to vacation, not a right.

Last edited:

ratherbeinwdw

So, before I start this isn't a discussion on Vitamin D, benefits of sun etc etc.
I haven't been to WDW since my diagnosis with Melanoma ("skin" cancer that kills 7 people a day in UK, caused by exposure to UV before age of 21), and am going back next year. I need about 20 bottles of sunscreen for me and my family for our two week trip. I have 3 questions:
1. Can I get UVB/UVA 5* shipped in from Garden Grocer or similar?
2. What rides have shaded areas (I can't remember as it "didn't matter" last time I went.
3. what sun safety message does Disney give out? Last time I went to LEGOLAND in UK, they actively encouraged people to put on suncream, staff were seen doing so and they sold big floppy unisex hats.

So, before I start this isn't a discussion on Vitamin D, benefits of sun etc etc.
I haven't been to WDW since my diagnosis with Melanoma ("skin" cancer that kills 7 people a day in UK, caused by exposure to UV before age of 21), and am going back next year. I need about 20 bottles of sunscreen for me and my family for our two week trip. I have 3 questions:
1. Can I get UVB/UVA 5* shipped in from Garden Grocer or similar?
2. What rides have shaded areas (I can't remember as it "didn't matter" last time I went.
3. what sun safety message does Disney give out? Last time I went to LEGOLAND in UK, they actively encouraged people to put on suncream, staff were seen doing so and they sold big floppy unisex hats.
You can buy floppy hats and sunscreen all through the parks. They even sell 100spf in several of the shops. Even though it doesn't last any longer than 50 spf, it stays on better and the tube lasts much longer. It is very sticky however. I prefer Neutrogena 70 or 100 the best. It doesn't feel sticky and works just as well if you reapply often.
I burn if you even look at me, and have also had several cancers on my face, close to my eye, so I never go without a hat and sunblock. I also wear a long-sleeve blouse over all my no sleeve blouses and keep them on while walking from one area or ride to the next. I can't tell you the hundreds of people I've seen walking around burned. I've seen little children in strollers sleeping and cooking in the sun. Many don't think to put block on the back of their legs, and they get cooked. My daughter, who almost never burns, got burned year before last because she didn't think she needed to put on any sunscreen. The place you might have a problem with standing in the sun, will be at the bus stops-- if you stay value. We had to stand in the sun several times at AOA. We usually stay mods, and those usually have covered bus stops. AOA has covers, but the front parts of the queues are still in the sun.

jaklgreen

Other then selling sunblock and hats, I have not seen or heard Disney say anything about sun precaution. They did talk a lot about it on the cruises. Maybe it is a UK thing that it is not as widely known as it is in the US. But I think most people here are very aware of the dangers of the sun that I don't think Disney feels that it needs to remind people. Maybe they should since people coming from other countries might not know about sun danger. Do they not talk about the sun danger and UV level on the news where you are from? I know a lot of cities here say the daily UV level on the news and in the paper.

Sans Souci

I haven't picked up a guide map in years, but I remember they had little PSAs with Puumba and Timon warning about things like walking and not running in the parks and a reminder to liberally apply sunscreen regularly.

Maybe it's because people my age abused tanning beds in their teens, but I remember having things like skin cancer awareness month ("Fry Now, Pay Later.") in HS and having proper sunscreen using pounded into head (with accompanying graphic visuals) in Health class. This has stayed with me throughout my life. I always use sun screen and I apply it on my son when going outdoors.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
For the record, even though it's run by Mears, sunscreen / protection was mentioned multiple times on my ME bus this last trip.

Though, I've never heard it before. I suspect it was just something the driver (who was the best ME driver I've ever had) took upon himself to do.

luv

Disney sells sunscreen in various forms all over the parks, water parks and hotels. They don't sell a lot of big hats, but you do find them occasionally, especially at the AK. I'd bring my own, if I were you.

You might consider an umbrella, too.

You can get a GAC, but don't bother bringing a doctor's note. They don't need it. They don't want it. They won't take it. They give GAC passes to anyone who goes in and asks for one. :)

Even with a GAC, you will still need to be out in the sun a LOT. You have to walk from ride to ride, etc. We have a lot of sun in Florida...they call us e Sunshine State for a reason! The sun is almost impossible to avoid in water parks, so you might just want to skip those.

The best person to ask is really your doctor. They could tell you how much sun you should or shouldn't be getting, how to visit Florida and what to wear.

I don't think Englanddg meant any offense. He was trying to be helpful. :)
Good luck!

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

I have had melanoma touch many members of my family. I am sorry to hear it has also touched you. In answer to your original post, I do not recall WDW doing much to promote sun protection awareness. I recall it being mentioned on the resort room TV but I do not recall any other suggestions. On the cruises, it is mentioned frequently.
As far as individual attractions, nearly all have some sun component while waiting in line and/or while riding. I have to agree with englanddg that I got way more sunburned on my cruises than I did at WDW and I sunburn easily.
The only suggestions to possibly limit this seem to be Sunscreen, Umbrella, and Time of Day optimization. I frequently avoid the 10 AM to 2 PM worst sun timeframe by getting lunch and/or sitting indoors. Good luck, it can be done and keep yourself safe. If you can choose your time of year (i.e. winter), and time of day (i.e. after dusk), you can minimize to the greatest extent possible.

JoeCamel

How does this sensor know what type of skin you have? My DW will burn in 15 minutes while I spend the day at the beach and get nothing?

luv

I used to burn in 20-30 minutes. Now, I can be in the sun all day, even in and out of water, 9-5 and not burn at all. I don't know how the sticker would work, either.

If you need sunscreen (and most people do), just reapply it every couple of hours. It's so easy with the sprays, too. Takes almost no time!

Goofyernmost

How does this sensor know what type of skin you have? My DW will burn in 15 minutes while I spend the day at the beach and get nothing?
I'd be a little suspicious. Sounds like just another way to exploit peoples fear of the Big "C". If it were that simple it seems like that information would be pretty wide spread. This is the first I ever heard of it. LIke yourself Joe, I am fortunate. I can't remember the last time I got a sunburn. I think I was about 20 or so. I do tan at the mention of sunshine though. My sister hates me for that.

MissM

I used to burn in 20-30 minutes. Now, I can be in the sun all day, even in and out of water, 9-5 and not burn at all.

LIke yourself Joe, I am fortunate. I can't remember the last time I got a sunburn. I think I was about 20 or so. I do tan at the mention of sunshine though. My sister hates me for that.

Just so you guys know, you don't need to get a burn to be at risk.

Myth #1: A suntan's fine, as long as you don't burn.
Reality: While even one sunburn may double the chance of eventually developing melanoma (the most serious type of skin cancer), your kids are still at risk even if they never burn. "The more sun you get, the more likely you are to develop certain skin cancers," says Martin Weinstock, M.D., chairman of the American Cancer Society's (ACS) Skin Cancer Advisory Group, no matter what your skin tone. "Any tan indicates damage to your skin."
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/living/guide-to-sun-safety

...and...

MYTH: A “base tan” protects your skin from sunburn.

FACT: There is no such thing as a safe or protective tan; any tan at all is a sign of skin damage. Skin tans in response to UV damage to the skin’s DNA; a tan is the skin’s attempt to repair sun damage and prevent further injury. But these imperfect repairs can cause gene defects that can lead to skin cancer.

Source: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts/myths-vs-facts

luv

Just so you guys know, you don't need to get a burn to be at risk.

Myth #1: A suntan's fine, as long as you don't burn.
Reality: While even one sunburn may double the chance of eventually developing melanoma (the most serious type of skin cancer), your kids are still at risk even if they never burn. "The more sun you get, the more likely you are to develop certain skin cancers," says Martin Weinstock, M.D., chairman of the American Cancer Society's (ACS) Skin Cancer Advisory Group, no matter what your skin tone. "Any tan indicates damage to your skin."
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/living/guide-to-sun-safety

...and...

MYTH: A “base tan” protects your skin from sunburn.

FACT: There is no such thing as a safe or protective tan; any tan at all is a sign of skin damage. Skin tans in response to UV damage to the skin’s DNA; a tan is the skin’s attempt to repair sun damage and prevent further injury. But these imperfect repairs can cause gene defects that can lead to skin cancer.

Source: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts/myths-vs-facts
Much as the OP has her reasons for avoiding sun, I have my reasons for getting as much as possible. We all have our crosses. :)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Always use high spf suncream every trip .I have spent good money on my tattoo's and no way am i going to let them fade in the sun.:cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom