Summer 2009 Question

wagnerdanp

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

I am a student at Penn State. I would love to go be in the Disney College Program but I can not skip a semester because of my degree program.
I have been thinking about just working at Disney this summer as a part-time or seasonal cast member. I would also have to find and pay for housing.
My questions are:
Does anyone know of a safe/affordable location to rent for 3 months?
I just emailed OASIS (Orlando Area Student Intern Society), but has anyone had any success with them?
I assume I can not stay at a place like Vista Way or could I if I explained myself?
Finally, if I would work for Disney in the summer, I would want to accumulate 40 hours per week, has anyone been told by Disney that you can only work 25 or 30 hours per week? I ask this because I want to make sure I can pay for the apartment and the purpose of this summer experience is not a vacation for me; it is a working experience and hopefully a way to get my foot in the door for future employment with Disney.

Thank you all!!!
Dan Wagner

vwayfan123

I dont have much info for you. You won't be able to stay at Vista Way, that is reserved for people in the college program. There is an apartment complex directly across the street from Vista Way called Sabal Palms. Anybody is allowed to rent here, tho I'm not sure what rent is.

from what i hear from friends, disney is in a hiring freeze. I have a friend thats been on a waiting list for 5 months now, So maybe you should consider applying soon...?

hope that helps a little.

Hey there! Well, why can't you take summer classes before and after the WDWCP, then you'd be caught up?

Finding housing in Orlando is hard, but there are condos nearby which aren't too hooribly expensive and are fully furnished. I'll try to find the name of it. Also, check out these apartment.... northbridgeapts.com. Pretty expensive, but not if you could find someone to share it with. Your best bet is looking on Craigs List for a summer sublease.

No way they'll let you stay at Vista or any of the other Disney intern areas. I mean, I guess if you aren't planning on working for Disney after this you could do the Fall advantage program (summer-jan) then just quit right before school starts? I wouldn't recommend this or encourage it lol, but I suppose it's an option.

They would probably only scedule you for 25-30 hours a week, but there are usually tons of shifts online to be picked up. You can always pick up shifts in custodial or parade control, which don't require any training.

To be perfectly honest, it's pretty hard to get hired into part-time or seasonal unless you were full-time first or were in there CP. :( Just keep trying and I hope I helped!

wagnerdanp

Original Poster
Thank you!
I can not take summer classes because the classes that I need are only taught during certain semesters and I must take some of my courses in a certain order because of prerequisites.

But all I can do is keep my fingers crossed, thanks!

Hey there! Well, why can't you take summer classes before and after the WDWCP, then you'd be caught up?

Finding housing in Orlando is hard, but there are condos nearby which aren't too hooribly expensive and are fully furnished. I'll try to find the name of it. Also, check out these apartment.... northbridgeapts.com. Pretty expensive, but not if you could find someone to share it with. Your best bet is looking on Craigs List for a summer sublease.

No way they'll let you stay at Vista or any of the other Disney intern areas. I mean, I guess if you aren't planning on working for Disney after this you could do the Fall advantage program (summer-jan) then just quit right before school starts? I wouldn't recommend this or encourage it lol, but I suppose it's an option.

They would probably only scedule you for 25-30 hours a week, but there are usually tons of shifts online to be picked up. You can always pick up shifts in custodial or parade control, which don't require any training.

To be perfectly honest, it's pretty hard to get hired into part-time or seasonal unless you were full-time first or were in there CP. :( Just keep trying and I hope I helped!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom