Suitable lens for zooming?

Georgette

Original Poster
Just wondered which lens would be good for zooming in on the characters during the parades and capturing general scenery around the park? Thanks.

afb28

Really depends on your budget and whether you are crop or full frame and what model camera. (I'm pretty sure nikon & canon have all of the below lenses available to each mount, sony & fuji and others i have no idea)

Generally the 24-105 f4 lenses are good for walking around because you have solid wide angle to telephoto (on a crop end its about 40mm-160mm so that's a lot of zoom) but they just aren't all that sharp compared to other lenses.

24-70 lenses are generally pricey but are perfect for crop sensors if you need a really good zoom where as full frame it's not as much reach as you may be looking for.

I think a lot of crop sensor cameras do well to get the 17-55 f2.8 because it's like a 25-85 without spending the money of the 24-70s. That's more of a medium telephoto on the long end but per dollar it'll be tough to beat.

I would just advise to stay away from those super zoom lenses that are like 28-300 because they are generally not all that sharp and have variable apertures.

One thing I would suggest is if you have a local camera store to go and try different focal lengths to see how much zoom you want and also how wide you would like it to help narrow it down.

Last edited:

Vipraa

I currently use a 55-210mm with a Sony A6000 which crops to 82-315mm 35mm equivalent for most of my parade and show shooting. It has a nice wide range allows great close ups and some decent wide shots.

Here are some examples
DSC01876.jpg
DSC05205.jpg
DSC05870.jpg
DSC07109.jpg
DSC08406.jpg

And these 2 were taken from the exact same spot to give an idea of the range

DSC06324.jpg
DSC06345.jpg

I currently use a 55-210mm with a Sony A6000 which crops to 82-315mm 35mm equivalent for most of my parade and show shooting. It has a nice wide range allows great close ups and some decent wide shots.
Very nice and after reading fractal's thread on the A6000, I went out and purchased one but opted out of getting the package deal which included the 55-210mm until I had time to research it. After seeing your pics, I regret this decision so now I have to buy one separately. The best price I have found online is around $250 so if anyone knows where I can get a better deal, please advise because the lens that came with it is lacking in the zoom department (however, it does take beautiful pics).

Clamman73

Very nice and after reading fractal's thread on the A6000, I went out and purchased one but opted out of getting the package deal which included the 55-210mm until I had time to research it. After seeing your pics, I regret this decision so now I have to buy one separately. The best price I have found online is around $250 so if anyone knows where I can get a better deal, please advise because the lens that came with it is lacking in the zoom department (however, it does take beautiful pics).

I've bought a lens or two from eBay. I just look at the sellers feedback and what they write in the description to get a feel for the person and that they actually took care of the lens while they used it, or they might not have used it much at all and just want to sell it.

fractal

The 55-210 is a solid zoom (especially in the day time). I agree with @Clamman73 regarding ebay especially with this lens. Many who buy it as part of a kit may be looking to sell just the lens for various reasons. Congrats on the A6000! After the zoom, you next step would be a quality prime lens. :D

I've bought a lens or two from eBay. I just look at the sellers feedback and what they write in the description to get a feel for the person and that they actually took care of the lens while they used it, or they might not have used it much at all and just want to sell it.
Wow! Looks like you can buy some used ones for around $120 to $150 (or less). However, I will probably go with the "factory refurbished" ones for around $175 just to play it safe. Thanks for the tip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom