Stupid Magic Band Question

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Ok- I thought I saw it posted previously, but I've searched through a bunch of threads and can't find my answer. So...I apologize if this is a repost.

We are headed down in early October at POP Music. If we choose to wait till we get to the hotel, do you think we can buy Magic Bands instead? Do you think its better if we buy Tixs ahead and then try to link them when there?

Basically, we are interested in the bands but only recently has the hotel become Band Friendly.

What would you guys do?

Jboccuzzi

I spoke to a cast member because at the time I hadn't received any notice about magicbands. She said that if you don't get the option to customize your own and have them sent to you, you would receive standard gray bands upon arrival at the resort.

Hope that helps!

dreamfinder

You don't have to buy MB. It comes with the resort stay. In the future more than likely, they will become the default, replacing KTTW, and one would need to specifically request a KTTW if desired.
If you log into MDE, and see the ability to customize MBs, you can do so without having tickets attached to them. However, if you are eligible for FP+, you won't be able to book any slots without having tickets attached to your accounts. So you can order tickets through a reseller Undercover Tourist, or even Disney direct, and then add the tickets to your account. Then you can book FP+. As more people start using FP+, waiting will decrease the available slots for the more popular rides.

ExtinctJenn

To echo the above...

1) You don't "buy" the bands - you chose to use them or a KTTW card (while there is still an option lol)
2) You can show up without having customized them but you'll end up with everyone in your travel party having the same band and only in the default gray color
3) I'd venture a guess that booking FP+ reservations in advance would be a lot easier than attempting to do so whilest on property so you may want to consider it

ddrongowski

So here is a thought. Grey bands are for the unknowing masses, and colored ones for testers, etc.. So will colored ones get special treatment?

Just kidding.

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
To echo the above...

1) You don't "buy" the bands - you chose to use them or a KTTW card (while there is still an option lol)
2) You can show up without having customized them but you'll end up with everyone in your travel party having the same band and only in the default gray color
3) I'd venture a guess that booking FP+ reservations in advance would be a lot easier than attempting to do so whilest on property so you may want to consider it

Sorry, I'm slow. I realize we don't "buy" the bands per se, but do you think should we go to Concierge upon our arrival, order the 7 day hopper passes, that they will come/ or we will be able to choose a Magic Band? Sorry, I'm slow like I said..lol

dreamfinder

Sorry, I'm slow. I realize we don't "buy" the bands per se, but do you think should we go to Concierge upon our arrival, order the 7 day hopper passes, that they will come/ or we will be able to choose a Magic Band? Sorry, I'm slow like I said..lol

If you don't do the "design" prior to your arrival on the time table they provide, you will only be given a plain gray band. I believe its more than 30 days out to design & have it shipped to you, more than 10 days out to design and pick up at the resort, less than 10 days or no design will be a plain gray band.

There is absolutely no reason not to purchase the tickets in advance. Doing so lets you book FP+ as soon as you add them to the account. If you buy them when you arrive they will be able to add them to your MB (or you can using the MDE app). And at that point you could try to book FP+. But since you won't be able to book them til you arrive, the only benefit you get is having the RFID chip on your wrist, instead of in your wallet. If that is the only benefit you are looking for, then your plan of buying the ticket when you arrive makes sense.

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
If you don't do the "design" prior to your arrival on the time table they provide, you will only be given a plain gray band. I believe its more than 30 days out to design & have it shipped to you, more than 10 days out to design and pick up at the resort, less than 10 days or no design will be a plain gray band.

There is absolutely no reason not to purchase the tickets in advance. Doing so lets you book FP+ as soon as you add them to the account. If you buy them when you arrive they will be able to add them to your MB (or you can using the MDE app). And at that point you could try to book FP+. But since you won't be able to book them til you arrive, the only benefit you get is having the RFID chip on your wrist, instead of in your wallet. If that is the only benefit you are looking for, then your plan of buying the ticket when you arrive makes sense.

Thank you!! We are very excited to try the bands so hopefully we get a chance. I'll probably grab the tixs this weekend and line them up on My Disney.

Thanks for the help. I just don't want to miss anything..

You can still buy your park tickets from concierge after checking in. They will link them to the Magic Bands you are given as room keys when you do check in. If you have MDE availability via smartphone, tablet or laptop after arrival, you can make your own FP+ reservations that way. Or they will assist you in getting FP+ reservations at the concierge desk when you purchase your passes. The park kiosks will allow you to change FP+ reservations as well.

I'm not entirely sure how things are handled onsite if you haven't linked everyone in MDE before arrival. I presume concierge can hook that stuff up but I'm not sure.

Of course, many people are concerned about getting "stuck" without access to FP+ for headliner attractions if they wait until arrival to begin making FP+ reservations. It gets back to that whole pre-planning issue, which has been much discussed. If getting a particular attraction is a big priority, that would be the reason to pre-purchase park passes, get them linked prior to arrival, and do all FP+ the reservations before arrival.

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
You can still buy your park tickets from concierge after checking in. They will link them to the Magic Bands you are given as room keys when you do check in. If you have MDE availability via smartphone, tablet or laptop after arrival, you can make your own FP+ reservations that way. Or they will assist you in getting FP+ reservations at the concierge desk when you purchase your passes. The park kiosks will allow you to change FP+ reservations as well.

I'm not entirely sure how things are handled onsite if you haven't linked everyone in MDE before arrival. I presume concierge can hook that stuff up but I'm not sure.

Of course, many people are concerned about getting "stuck" without access to FP+ for headliner attractions if they wait until arrival to begin making FP+ reservations. It gets back to that whole pre-planning issue, which has been much discussed. If getting a particular attraction is a big priority, that would be the reason to pre-purchase park passes, get them linked prior to arrival, and do all FP+ the reservations before arrival.

Thank you for this. We aren't as worried about the FPs as we are just to try the Bands. I picked up the tickets at AAA yesterday, so I'm hoping upon our arrival, they can link them to the bands. I will set it up with My Disney as well tomorrow, but we were just eager to try the Bands. Hopefully we can try them out..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom