Stupid Dining Plan question of the day

Ford Prefect

Hello,

This is a question about the mechanics of tipping and I am happy to pay the recommended amount. I am just really unsure how the billing works when using Dining Plan Credits.

Am I correct with this:

The 2 of us go to a non signature dining table service restaurant and order a steak and a glass of wine each plus a dessert.
The total bill is (to pick an easy amount at random) $100.
At the end of the meal our server presents us with a bill.
The server deducts 1 credit each from our plan
The tip is between $15 and $20 dollars depending on service.

I like to tip in cash as I want to keep the pots of money separate. How do I ensure I’m not charged twice for the tip? Do you enter zero on the bill?

Second question,
We order an appetiser at a cost of, say, $10 each I would like to charge this to my room account but still tip the $22 in cash. Can I do that?

Said they were stupid questions but, being from the UK, tipping is not done here very often!

Bartledvd

You can see pretty much instantly any charges to your room using the my disney experience app so no need to worry about Being double charged.

When tipping in cash we just put $0 on the bill and left the cash never had any issues but was also not sure if that was right.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

It’s completely fine to tip in cash (often servers prefer it). Just put a 0 or a horizontal line in the tip space. And if you’d like to pay for the appetizers or drinks or whatever with a charge to your room just tell your server. They will bring the bill. You say “I’d like to charge these to the room” and they will scan your band. Then leave the tip in cash. You can tell the server you’re doing that if you want to, but it’s not really necessary.
I will say that I would lean towards leaving 20% unless there was a problem. I know people say 15-20. And it’s entirely up to you. Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
It’s completely fine to tip in cash (often servers prefer it). Just put a 0 or a horizontal line in the tip space. And if you’d like to pay for the appetizers or drinks or whatever with a charge to your room just tell your server. They will bring the bill. You say “I’d like to charge these to the room” and they will scan your band. Then leave the tip in cash. You can tell the server you’re doing that if you want to, but it’s not really necessary.
I will say that I would lean towards leaving 20% unless there was a problem. I know people say 15-20. And it’s entirely up to you. Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy your trip!

And to add, the bill will show the 18% and 20% amount for you. It won’t be added automatically unless you have 8 in your party (or it may be 6?).

You can also charge the tip too if you want, either to your magic band or CC.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Not really stupid but rather you're just over complicating things in your head.

It will show the suggested tip (tips are only added automatically if its a party of 6 or more).

We never write anything on the tip line. We just set the cash in the folder and hand it back to them.

Paying OOP for an app is also no big deal.
Just let them know you want to charge it back to your room.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We always tip in cash. Its always 20% or more depending on the service and attention we receive. I myself appreciate when a customer hands me some of their hard earned money in appreciation for the service I provide them in my business. So I pass it on to others as well.

Upvote 0

jrogue

The tip is between $15 and $20 dollars depending on service.
An important note I'm not sure if others have clarified, your tip should be between 15 and 20 percent, not dollars. So therefore your tip amount would always depend on your bill. For a $100 bill your 20% tip would be $20, but if your bill were $56, your 20% tip would be ~$11. If your bill were $212, then your 20% tip would be $42

Upvote 0

jrogue

Also yes, you can 100% keep the tip in cash and charge anything else back to the room. Since I'm super paranoid, I like to write CASH on the tip line so they don't think I'm not tipping them :)

Upvote 0

Ford Prefect

Original Poster
An important note I'm not sure if others have clarified, your tip should be between 15 and 20 percent, not dollars. So therefore your tip amount would always depend on your bill. For a $100 bill your 20% tip would be $20, but if your bill were $56, your 20% tip would be ~$11. If your bill were $212, then your 20% tip would be $42
Thank you, my example was for a $100 so the percentages in my post were correct and not as an idea for a tip regardless of Bill.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom