Studio ghibli

brb1006

Uh Disney lost the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli films a few years now.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

To add to the above. Yes, Disney sadly lost the distribution rights to the Ghibli movies a few years ago. However, you might be interested to know a Ghibli Park is supposed to be opening sometime in 2022 in Japan. Also, while I’ve never personally been, there’s also a Studio Ghibli Musuem in Japan that I’ve heard a lot of good things about. https://blooloop.com/features/studio-ghibli-theme-park/

Club Cooloholic

To add to the above. Yes, Disney sadly lost the distribution rights to the Ghibli movies a few years ago. However, you might be interested to know a Ghibli Park is supposed to be opening sometime in 2022 in Japan. Also, while I’ve never personally been, there’s also a Studio Ghibli Musuem in Japan that I’ve heard a lot of good things about. https://blooloop.com/features/studio-ghibli-theme-park/
A CatBus roller coaster?

Robbiem

Its a shame. Ghibli and Disney could have been a good partnership but like Ardman and Dreamworks things just didn’t work out. I suspect John Lasseters fall played a part as he was a huge champion of their movies and supervised the English dubs.

Here in the UK Ghibli movies are on Netflix and in the us I believe they are on HBO max so any chance of them on Disney plus has probably gone for a while

Goofyernmost

Speaking of Lasseter, I know he got himself in a nasty scandal, but does anyone know what happened to him. He seems to have just fallen off the face of the earth.

cookiee_munster

Speaking of Lasseter, I know he got himself in a nasty scandal, but does anyone know what happened to him. He seems to have just fallen off the face of the earth.
He now works for Skydance Animation.

EDIT - I really think a Disney/Ghibli partnership could have been amazing. i'm absolutely gutted things fizzled out. Ghibli has a wonderful catalogue of films that remain quite unknown to the western market. It has a bit of a niche following over here. Disney did a fair job at trying to bring it to the forefront to make it more marketable. I guess the only problem with such a small studio like Ghibli and their traditional hand drawn animation techniques (something I firmly admire) they can't bang films out each year like Disney now can. I'm glad Hayao Miyazaki has decided to come back out of retirement to direct another film. I hope it's just as magical as his previous ones.

Last edited:

britain

I don’t know much, but I’ve gotten the impression that Ghibli will go through a ‘wandering in the wilderness’ phase once the founding members (Miasakyi in particular) pass away. Hopefully that will be a very long time from now, but sooner or later it will happen. And just like most creative studios at that phase, it’s possible they will be bought up.

It’s very possible Disney would put in a bid at that point. Other than that scenario, I don’t see it happening.

And I don’t think I want it to happen. To be a Ghibli fan (at least here in America) is like the being inside the coolest of all obscure clubs. Disney would just milk it for all it’s worth until it’s not special anymore. I don’t need to see a Totoro sequel, nor do I need a Kiki’s live action reboot.

Last edited:

brb1006

They sure would have helped pad out Disney+. Oh well. In the end, it's probably a good thing. Disney never did really know what to do with those films. They're in better hands.
And Miyazaki would quickly shot down the idea of Disney making anything Ghibli related at the parks.

brb1006

Its a shame. Ghibli and Disney could have been a good partnership but like Ardman and Dreamworks things just didn’t work out. I suspect John Lasseters fall played a part as he was a huge champion of their movies and supervised the English dubs.

Here in the UK Ghibli movies are on Netflix and in the us I believe they are on HBO max so any chance of them on Disney plus has probably gone for a while
And Lasseter had a close relationship with Miyazaki.

thomas998

The only foothold you'll get is the merchandise they sell at Mitsukoshi in Epcot..
Yep... but it is much cheaper to buy that stuff in your local Barnes and Noble. My daughter bought a stuffed Totoro at Epcot and then when we were back home we saw the same one in Barnes and Noble for almost 50% less and it wasn't even on sale.

cookiee_munster

Attachments

• 038a98b340fd4d2181e1f820f8060931.gif
    038a98b340fd4d2181e1f820f8060931.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 156

Bairstow

Just like How to Train Your Dragon is Stitch.........As Dragon......:bored:
Dean Deblois and Sanders' goal with Lilo and Stitch was partly to create an American interpretation of a typical Miyazaki movie, in terms of the setting, tone, and art style (particularly the backgrounds). They have said as much in interviews. There are even a number of overt homages to Studio Ghibli in the film.

Last edited:

cookiee_munster

Dean Deblois and Sanders' goal with Lilo and Stitch was partly to create an American interpretation of a typical Miyazaki movie, in terms of the setting, tone, and art style (particularly the backgrounds). They have said as much in interviews. There are even a number of overt homages to Studio Ghibli in the film.
huh, I never knew that 🙂

I still don't get it though. Maybe i need to watch it again sometime.

Robbiem

interesting. I always thought a few pixar movies were very like ghibli movies in theme with a different art style. I could imagine Up or wall-e as ghibli movies and lets not forget that totoro cameo in toy story 3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom