Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Cesar R M

You do realize you just hypothetically spent 200million dollars to move a parking lot, 3 buildings and countless other support facilities. I'd rather see that spent on attractions. Also there is literally tons of room to expand without cutting into cast parking. There are spots all over the park. A few examples are SOA, echo lake, the entire American idol to sounds dangerous building, over 3 Acres worth of back lot tour, the area between rockin roller coaster and Tower of terror not the mention a huge strip of space behind that going all the way to fantasmic. If you want to add it up there is probably 50acres of space to expand/remodel. Keep in mind I didn't even mention LMA which has been rumored to be on the chopping block for a while.
how much would cost to pave on top of echo lake?
dont they need to add more waterwork to pave it ?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
how much would cost to pave on top of echo lake?
dont they need to add more waterwork to pave it ?

There was some discussion on this recently in one of the threads. I have looked at the plans submitted to the South Florida Water Management District for the park and I haven't found anything to indicate the Echo Lake is part of the storm water control system for the park. If storm trains aren't actually draining into the lake, then it's possible that removing it wouldn't be a big deal.

Tom

Beta Return
There was some discussion on this recently in one of the threads. I have looked at the plans submitted to the South Florida Water Management District for the park and I haven't found anything to indicate the Echo Lake is part of the storm water control system for the park. If storm trains aren't actually draining into the lake, then it's possible that removing it wouldn't be a big deal.

Interesting that Disney has a body of water that isn't used for water management.

Tom

Beta Return
This. IMO Echo Lake is a hugely important part of the park for just that reason, it's the only "natural" feeling part of the park.

Pretty sure the Hub redevelopment, removing all the trees and paving over the water there, shows that Disney thinks guests care way more for concrete than nature.

In their defense, which I don't do often, the park was designed to look like a movie studio (obviously). Studios are not very picturesque. The Echo Lake area is pretty nice, given the theme of the park.

But I did always assume it was there for water management. The fact that it was purely aesthetic is impressive.

AEfx

Having looked into this a bit more, I think my recollection of a break between sections of the tour was actually that they split the tour up into two attractions, and in between you could wander the streets, play in the HISTK playground, or get some lunch. You then took the entrance where you took the Backlot Tour from until last week to continue the rest of the tour which took you back to the main park.

Yes, this is correct. You were left off at one spot in that area, and continued on to the second portion of the tour. For some reason, I feel like originally it was the tram portion first, then the walking portion - but I can't be sure on that.

The "in between" area is where they would bring in the TMNT to briefly entertain while you waited for the 2nd half.

Cesar R M

Yes, this is correct. You were left off at one spot in that area, and continued on to the second portion of the tour. For some reason, I feel like originally it was the tram portion first, then the walking portion - but I can't be sure on that.

The "in between" area is where they would bring in the TMNT to briefly entertain while you waited for the 2nd half.
I would love to see TMNT at the park.

But I wonder if Nickelodeon would accept the deal?
the new animation show is the darling of them along with Avatar legend of korra.

AEfx

I would love to see TMNT at the park.

But I wonder if Nickelodeon would accept the deal?
the new animation show is the darling of them along with Avatar legend of korra.

At this point - probably not LOL. I always wondered why they didn't do more when they had the rights to them - as far as I recall, the Shell-mobile thing (what was that called?) and them showing up in that break during the backlot tour was pretty much it.

Also - funny you mentioned that Avatar - the biggest mistake Cameron made with his Avatar was naming it Avatar...far more folks associate that name with that animated franchise than do his version, just culturally. He would have been far better-off long term if he had called it Pandora.

Cesar R M

At this point - probably not LOL. I always wondered why they didn't do more when they had the rights to them - as far as I recall, the Shell-mobile thing (what was that called?) and them showing up in that break during the backlot tour was pretty much it.

Also - funny you mentioned that Avatar - the biggest mistake Cameron made with his Avatar was naming it Avatar...far more folks associate that name with that animated franchise than do his version, just culturally. He would have been far better-off long term if he had called it Pandora.

I dont think he could back down, as he had paid for the movie name a decade ago if I remember correctly.
now.. M. Night Shimalan's awful movie will give shivers to any animation fan that wanted a live action version of a loved cartoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom