Stroller tales--for six and seven year old??

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Hey all,

Last year, our family went together for the first time to DW. I and my wife had been there several times, but this was the first time with kids.

Our youngest was six at the time. On the day we arrived, he was sick with a cold. We got to the resort and the first thing he did was nap.

So, after that, on our way to Epcot, we talked about getting a stroller for him, even though he's normally a high energy kid. A couple on the bus overheard us, and said they were leaving that day, and they had a stroller that they purchased just for the trip, and offered to give it to us!
WOW! How Disney cool is that??

We used it all week, even after he was feeling better, and at the end, we found some people in the lobby that had just arrived, and gifted them the stroller in the same way. A fun Disney memory.

So, here's my observation/question.

We got so much done with our guy in the stroller, even tho he's a little older. No listening to "but my feet are tired", etc., and we didn't even really have to take the midday break. I just pushed "his highness" around and it worked out great.

Now we're hoping to go back in October, I'm wondering whether to buy a stroller (renting is just too darn expensive) and do the same thing--for our energetic seven-year-old!

Am I spoiling him, or me by doing this?:lol:

Anyone else use the stroller as an anti-kid fatigue weapon?

Do tell . . . .

NewfieFan

You may have opened up a can 'o worms here! I'm sure you'll hear things about how this generation is lazy, fat, obese, blah, blah, blah. I will be taking a stroller for my just turned 6 year old in August. No matter what people say... he needs it! Plain and simple! Yes, I go at his pace, yes, we take midday breaks, no, he is not obese nor fat (quite skinny actually)! The fact of the matter is children have to take more steps to keep up with adults! We come from a fairly cold place and we are not use to the heat in Florida and neither are my children. And you can see them slow down as the heat goes up. It gives my children a place to rest, a place to get out of the sun, a place for me to keep track of them during exiting, etc. He's not in it all day long but for the times he needs it - he needs it!

I'm hoping this will be our last year for our son in a stroller but we still have a 3 year old daughter which will be in a stroller for a couple more years!

MouseMadness

Hey all,

Last year, our family went together for the first time to DW. I and my wife had been there several times, but this was the first time with kids.

Our youngest was six at the time. On the day we arrived, he was sick with a cold. We got to the resort and the first thing he did was nap.

So, after that, on our way to Epcot, we talked about getting a stroller for him, even though he's normally a high energy kid. A couple on the bus overheard us, and said they were leaving that day, and they had a stroller that they purchased just for the trip, and offered to give it to us!
WOW! How Disney cool is that??

We used it all week, even after he was feeling better, and at the end, we found some people in the lobby that had just arrived, and gifted them the stroller in the same way. A fun Disney memory.

So, here's my observation/question.

We got so much done with our guy in the stroller, even tho he's a little older. No listening to "but my feet are tired", etc., and we didn't even really have to take the midday break. I just pushed "his highness" around and it worked out great.

Now we're hoping to go back in October, I'm wondering whether to buy a stroller (renting is just too darn expensive) and do the same thing--for our energetic seven-year-old!

Am I spoiling him, or me by doing this?:lol:

Anyone else use the stroller as an anti-kid fatigue weapon?

Do tell . . . .

Both :ROFLOL: :lookaroun

I don't know, we let my 7 year old spend one afternoon in a stroller after she'd spent the morning dealing with what I think was just some over indulgence at Raglan Road the night before (No, not the guinness!! :eek: ) but other than that she walked and was perfectly fine. I had made this year the cut off for her being in a stroller. If he's high energy you may be better off letting him walk to get some of that energy out! You don't want to get to your room that night and be exhausted and have him ready to do another few hours of running :lol:

DisneyMom4

The average adult walks 5-7 miles per day at Disney. If you extrapolate that data using kid sized legs it has to be several more miles than that. There are just too many fun things to do at Disney that can't be enjoyed if you're exhausted.

I'm taking a stroller for my 6-year-old this year. I'll use it again next year. She tells me this year she doesn't need one. However, it's going. I'm just going to leave it in the car/room. I'm thinking that 4-5 days into an 18 day trip she'll be ready for a break.

There are plenty of folks who are going to say, "They're big enough to walk." Most of the time they are big enough to walk, but that many miles a day many days in a row....give a kid a break! Who care if you are spoiling them or you? It's your vacation. It's your kid's vacation. Enjoy it!

Beccone

Last summer we brought my double stroller to use for our kids who were then 6, 4 1/2 and almost 2. My 6 yr old is handicapped and could not walk last year without his walker so him riding was a must. When he used his walker to get around my 4 1/2 yr old sometimes sat but for the most part he walked, we still comment on what a trooper he was. This year I am thinking of buying a double jogger because my older son looks so uncomfortable in the back to back double we have and although he is now walking there is no way he will be able to walk the parks. I say go for it and bring the stroller, it will make your family's days more enjoyable. I also like the idea of passing the stroller along to another family.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
I should have also added that the stroller was a good
"travelling home base" for the rest of us.

It was November, so a bit cool in the evenings (to put it mildly!)

This way, we could stuff our sweaters, energy bars, water bottles,
etc. in the stroller and push our stuff around. That was also helpful.

These are great comments, thanks, it is good to see others
coming up with similar strategies.

I am thinking yes, do the stroller again.

LOL, we really went commando-style last time, there were a couple of times that I wanted someone to push me around!

I think this next time, we'll take it easier. Yeah, right.:lol:

happymom52003

My son had just turned 7 on our last Disney trip, and we still took a stroller for him. We have two great travel umbrella strollers that have a really high weight limit.

Most of the time he walked, but for the times that he needed it....we were SO glad we had it.

He is a strong, healthy, athletic kid....but, he is still just a kid....and at the end of a long day at Disney World, I had no problem letting him ride in the stroller. I sure wish I could have enjoyed a nice ride through the parks while my feet were pounding with pain at the end of the day!!

Jessie&Buzz

My son is 6. I plan on bringing our stroller in Oct. I know he won't use it every day but we'll have it for when we do need it. Last summer we went to Washington DC. We pushed him in it. He was the only one not tired at the end of the day. He did walk some but rode most of the time. I liked not having to worry about where he was. It also kept the sun off of him most of the time. I say go for it and don't worry about what others think. It's your vacation so enjoy it how you want.

tigsmom

DO NOT listen to what others have to say. You know your own child best, do what is right for him and your family.

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
You're absolutely right, Tigsmom.:)

Wait. But, um, should I not listen to you, then?:lookaroun

Which means, DO listen. So, then I should listen to you.:sohappy:

But . . . ahh . . . you said . . . . :hammer:

ummm . . .

:lol:

toystorymaniacs

MY now seven year old use a stroller about every other day when we were there last May. It seemed to depend on what park we are at and what we were doing. If he needs one this year (which I assume he will) I will be more than happy to rent one because it will make a better time for all.

mousebymarriage

My son was almost 7 on our last trip and we rented a stroller "just in case". He walked a good part of the day but, he would sit in the stroller when he got tired. He even napped in the stroller a few times and my son NEVER EVER naps, he acts like he is on speed most of the time. He is a very skinny child (almost 8 years old and weighs about 45 pounds) and very athletic (he plays hockey, baseball and soccer), so he doesn't tire easily. I think a stroller is a great idea because as a previous poster said, Disney involves miles and miles of walking each day and just imagine having to walk that much while trying to keep up with adults and you have little kids legs, he has to take two steps for every one of ours. I say get a cheap umbrella stroller at wal-mart and you will all have a much easier vacation. We all know Disney is no fun with a cranky exhausted child!

toystorymaniacs

Be careful according to people on a thread on the general discussion board we are all going to have lazy, spoiled, obese children, and ruin everyone else's vacation by our stroller usage and bringing things we want for our families in the parks. :brick:

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
Be careful according to people on a thread on the general discussion board we are all going to have lazy, spoiled, obese children, and ruin everyone else's vacation by our stroller usage and bringing things we want for our families in the parks. :brick:

Yeah, whaddayagonnado?

In my younger, single and newly married years, I used to say
"Disney World is no place for children", lol. :lol:

Mostly due to the fact that if you go single, or as adults, you really
see the family dramas play out right in front of you.

What you don't see, are the delights.:animwink:

figgyfan

I could post pictures of my 6 and very petite 9 year old daughters in one of the big double strollers they rent out. They rested, napped and were a lot less crabby. We loved it!!

pjulie75

Hi,

I have twin girls who are 6 and haven't been in a stoller for about 18 months but I think all the walking and intense heat could be too much for them, how much do these double stollers cost per day?

Well, perhaps I'll be criticized for it as well, but we're going in September. My little one will be 6 (she turns 6 on Sept 4) and I'm planning to use a stroller for her. Like someone said above....it's your vacation and your child's vacation. Why not be as comfortable as possible? No, my daughter isn't obese and she gets plenty of exercise. Disney is exhausting and I want to make her as comfortable as possible so she will really enjoy the magic!

That being said.....anyone have any suggestions on a stroller that I can purchase for her without having to take out a mortgage on my house? :eek: LOL My plan B is to rent one from Disney but if I could buy one to accomodate her weight without spending a fortune, that would be great! Right now she's about 50 lbs and 46" tall.

Anyone have any suggestions?

NewfieFan

Well, perhaps I'll be criticized for it as well, but we're going in September. My little one will be 6 (she turns 6 on Sept 4) and I'm planning to use a stroller for her. Like someone said above....it's your vacation and your child's vacation. Why not be as comfortable as possible? No, my daughter isn't obese and she gets plenty of exercise. Disney is exhausting and I want to make her as comfortable as possible so she will really enjoy the magic!

That being said.....anyone have any suggestions on a stroller that I can purchase for her without having to take out a mortgage on my house? :eek: LOL My plan B is to rent one from Disney but if I could buy one to accomodate her weight without spending a fortune, that would be great! Right now she's about 50 lbs and 46" tall.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Combi Flare goes up to 55lbs (I'm pretty sure). Here in Canada it's around the $100 dollar mark but I'm sure you could get in cheaper in the US.

I have two Combis... I have the Combi ST (which is an older version of the Flare) and I have the Flare - I am very happy with both of them!

Folds up really small for the busses too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom