'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

BuddyThomas

This happens on other threads with other posters too. Maybe they think it’s a very important point that’s not getting across; maybe they’re a little too involved with the issue. The COVID threads were notorious for having the same people say the same thing over and over. It stops when people get tired of it and refuse to engage.
True. Also true is that WDWmagic sends email notifications every time a thread I have replied to has a new post, and when those posts are totally ignorant (haven’t seen the movie but have a strong opinion) or totally phobic (they know who they are), I have a hard time not responding.

BuddyThomas

I agree. Strange World wasn’t a great movie from a storytelling point, but it had a lot of good moments. I especially enjoyed the color choices and look of the film. It was beautiful.
And a great pulsating score. And great Indiana Jones type intricate action sequences. I don’t care what anyone says. I loved it.

Chi84

Premium Member
And a great pulsating score. And great Indiana Jones type intricate action sequences. I don’t care what anyone says. I loved it.
People are different and like different things in movies.

Disney has been very successful with its princess movies, but I’m glad they’re branching out instead of doing the same thing again and again.

It takes a bit of courage and a willingness to fail when you explore new concepts and ideas. But what a boring world it would be if nothing ever changed.

BuddyThomas

People are different and like different things in movies.

Disney has been very successful with its princess movies, but I’m glad they’re branching out instead of doing the same thing again and again.

It takes a bit of courage and a willingness to fail when you explore new concepts and ideas. But what a boring world it would be if nothing ever changed.
I love your posts. They are always reasonable, balanced, and intelligent. On the other hand, I just post from gut emotion. I need to take a lesson from you. ❤️

Chi84

Premium Member
I love your posts. They are always reasonable, balanced, and intelligent. On the other hand, I just post from gut emotion. I need to take a lesson from you. ❤️
What a sweet thing to say!

The one thing I try to do (and sometimes I fail miserably) is to examine the intent of a comment before posting it. If the only intent is to insult, anger or upset someone, it’s probably not worth posting. (I self-delete a lot lol).

But everyone is human. It’s hard to sit back and read hateful or ignorant comments without responding, especially if you’re passionate about a subject.

BuddyThomas

What a sweet thing to say!

The one thing I try to do (and sometimes I fail miserably) is to examine the intent of a comment before posting it. If the only intent is to insult, anger or upset someone, it’s probably not worth posting. (I self-delete a lot lol).

But everyone is human. It’s hard to sit back and read hateful or ignorant comments without responding, especially if you’re passionate about a subject.
Like I said, I need to take a lesson from you, and a few other people on here could also do the same.

Rich T

Yes… sometimes I wonder what are some of these people doing on a Disney fan forum… with all the complaining… are they even fans
That’s part of what forums are for. I complain a lot over on the Disneyland forum, because I’m an older Disney fan who knows how fantastic Disney has been in the past, and it often frustrates me to see the park and company run by people who just don’t get it and don’t seem to care. A person wants to discuss those things and these forums are the most intelligent, balanced, and reasonable of all the Disney forums on the internet.

LittleBuford

That’s part of what forums are for. I complain a lot over on the Disneyland forum, because I’m an older Disney fan who knows how fantastic Disney has been in the past, and it often frustrates me to see the park and company run by people who just don’t get it and don’t seem to care. A person wants to discuss those things and these forums are the most intelligent, balanced, and reasonable of all the Disney forums on the internet.
I’m OK with people complaining. Fans hold the brands and entities they love to a high standard and are bound to grumble when they feel let down. But I’m not sure that’s what’s going on in this particular thread. There’s too much spite and glee at play for it to be the sincere frustration of disappointed fans. It’s as if some here actually want Disney to fail.

DKampy

I get that and I don’t think the company is perfect…there are things I wish were still the way they were in the past, but there is still some good in there too… some people here though don’t seem balance…I am not referring to your posts… as from what I have seen you are balanced… some complain about everything even seem to want Disney to fail This thread is a good example… there are people that seem to relish at SW failure

BrianLo

Also very substantial as not since "Waking Sleeping Beauty" Great Mouse Detective era has Disney not done well as their most famous game for the entire year this badly.

I know there has been a lot of glee around Lightyear and Strange World, but did everyone collectively black out on Encanto and Turning Red?

Pixar and Disney each had one bad movie this year (which are certainly not unheard of, but unlucky to have lined up), but one movie each is hardly the doom and gloom of the studios everyone keeps portending it is. Get back to me when Elementals AND Wish flop.

FnadgDhacAAsQ5x.jpeg

BrianLo

Why did Puss In Boots do gangbuster business in foreign countries, but Strange World did the exact opposite? And what is Burbank going to do to make sure that never happens again for a $140 Million investment several years in the making?

I hear very good thing about Puss in Boots! 300-ish million worldwide is NOT the definition of "gangbusters". Many modern animated films are often pushing towards a billion dollars.

It has broken profitability thanks to better budget spending out of Dreamworks in General, but it only looks good because Strange World is so particularly bad.

TP2000

I know there has been a lot of glee around Lightyear and Strange World, but did everyone collectively black out on Encanto and Turning Red?

Pixar and Disney each had one bad movie this year (which are certainly not unheard of, but unlucky to have lined up), but one movie each is hardly the doom and gloom of the studios everyone keeps portending it is. Get back to me when Elementals AND Wish flop.

View attachment 695315

This gets us into that nebulous topic of "You Can't Count The Movies Released During 2020-2021 Because Of Covid!", where we aren't supposed to mention them at all.

That said, the "minutes viewed" metric seems iffy to me when everyone is spending the same 8 bucks a month to watch everything on Disney+ or the same 15 bucks a month for everything on Netflix.

We can't pretend that Encanto and Turning Red were greenlit with $150 Million budgets in 2018 with the Burbank conference room sales pitch "We'd like to spend $150 Million of the Company's money to make these movies, then barely show them in theaters or sell tickets in any real way and instead just send them to TV streaming for free!"

I hear very good thing about Puss in Boots! 300-ish million worldwide is NOT the definition of "gangbusters". Many modern animated films are often pushing towards a billion dollars.

It has broken profitability thanks to better budget spending out of Dreamworks in General, but it only looks good because Strange World is so particularly bad.

Good point. Puss In Boots is not a Top Gun Maverick style blockbuster by any stretch of the imagination. But Puss In Boots only cost $90 Million to make and is already pumping back tens of millions in profit back to Universal a month after it opened. It only seems like a blockbuster when compared to the complete and historical disaster of Strange World in all global marketplaces.

BrianLo

This gets us into that nebulous topic of "You Can't Count The Movies Released During 2020-2021 Because Of Covid!", where we aren't supposed to mention them at all.

That said, the "minutes viewed" metric seems iffy to me when everyone is spending the same 8 bucks a month to watch everything on Disney+ or the same 15 bucks a month for everything on Netflix.

We can't pretend that Encanto and Turning Red were greenlit with $150 Million budgets in 2018 with the Burbank conference room sales pitch "We'd like to spend $150 Million of the Company's money to make these movies, then barely show them in theaters or sell tickets in any real way and instead just send them to TV streaming for free!"

I’m not saying Chapek is a dolt for what he did to animation, but this needs to be contextualized. Encanto was watched through 3-4x more than the newest season of Stranger Things. Turning Red was not only the second most popular movie on the service, it also was watched through completion way more often than anything other than Encanto/Sing 2. Despite being a movie, it still had more minutes watched than Amazon’s lavish lord of the rings series, which had many more ‘minutes’ to watch. And some obscene budget.

Unless you are claiming Mandalorian, Stranger Things, Ozark, whatever other lavish series were all complete and total financial failures you guys need to let go of the box office on streamed content. Yes the 150mil spend is more than justified when the movie outperforms anything else on the service, in a fiscal year when the service generated 30 billion dollars in revenue you have to attribute some of that to the success stories on the service.

When Frozen has moved 10 billion dollars of merch, yes Encanto (which is still topping the list likely through 2023) will make the company plenty of money.

celluloid

View attachment 695315
Encanto was a good musical hit, but people rewatching the songs kany times does not equal box office money. It's theatrical run was lackluster.
Turning red ONLY is viewable on Disney Plus. It did not make a dime anywhere else.

Not flops but one moderate and one broke even.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom