'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Maybe my family are in the minority, but we are totally OVER movie theaters. The screen size, picture quality, sound quality at home today is fantastic! We are in the comfort of our home; the snacks are better and EXACTLY what we want at a fraction of the cost, and I have rewind for when I fall asleep :)

You are the majority now, not the minority.

I recently moved to a new home and refreshed my five year old home theater setups in two rooms after I moved in. The incredible quality and blazingly impressive technology available just boggles my mind. The ease with which it was all set up and began working flawlessly so quickly is equally impressive. If you had set up a display at the 1986 World's Fair or the GE Pavilion at Epcot in the 1980's, showing what the actual average upper-middle range home entertainment system would look like in the 2020's, no one back then would have believed you! They could not have even understood some of the tech concepts now sitting in every middle-class home.

Even working-class Americans with modest incomes now have HD streaming screens of 60 inches within their price range. It's mind boggling!

Hollywood must adapt to that. They can no longer keep belching out big-budget movies that not many people bother to go see in the theaters. There will still be massive hits like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar, or Spider-Man, but those can only happen a few times per year.

Adapt or die, Hollywood. They need to first look at their budgets and their staffing levels in their legacy studio complexes in SoCal.

J4546

In my opinion, both was a factor in the poor box office.

A lot of non-Disney fans, and some Disney fans had no idea the movie existed, and many Disney fans who knew the film existed, knew, or suspected Disney would follow the same pattern as they did with their other movies and put it on D+ after a number of days in theaters.

I knew this movie was going to go to Disney+ eventually, no one had to tell me.

I also happily watched Top Gun Maverick on streaming too.

In my opinion, if Disney or any company wants to make the most possible money on any movie at the box office, don't establish the pattern of putting a movie on the stream for free 30 to 45 days after it's in the theatres, make it 6 months to a year, and when it goes on steam, make folks pay, or forcibly run commercials when it streams.

Maybe my family are in the minority, but we are totally OVER movie theaters. The screen size, picture quality, sound quality at home today is fantastic! We are in the comfort of our home; the snacks are better and EXACTLY what we want at a fraction of the cost, and I have rewind for when I fall asleep :)
Yeah I like watching most movies at home now instead of a theater by far.

TP2000

Is it just easier for you to dismiss the message “we should take care of our environment” if plastics or fossil fuels were used?

Why is “virtue” a zero sum game for you?

Because it's almost always wrapped up in blatant hypocrisy and smug groupthink. And the people doing it are not very smart.

The North Face example was perfect; a company (North Face) that sells products exclusively made out of petroleum products refuses to allow a petroleum product company (from Texas so you know they aren't good people!) to buy their products because petroleum is unfashionable and "does not align with our values". Their values of selling clothing made exclusively out of petroleum products?!? Companies like North Face are complete fools. 🤣

That subheading from Newsweek is editorial perfection; The company depends upon the very fossil fuels it purports to abhor.

Disney is wading deeper into those same virtue signaling waters, and that is very risky for them.

The Walt Disney Company is a behemoth that sells products that are inherently decadent and wasteful and unnecessary. Movies, plastic toys and cheap merchandise made in China and shipped via diesel ships around the world, TV shows and streaming services using massive energy-hog server farms, sprawling theme park complexes around the world that encourage tens of millions of people per year to drive/fly long distances from home to be entertained by singing robots in giant air conditioned warehouses.

All of it is wasteful decadence that requires massive amounts of energy and petroleum byproducts to sell.

So if Disney starts claiming in their family films that reading books by candlelight is the virtuous and proper thing to do, their entire business model for the entire company collapses very quickly. They need to be very, very careful what they wish for, and what messages they are putting into their films. Or else their own consumers might just start staying home to read a book instead. :banghead:

Last edited:

Phroobar

You are the majority now, not the minority.

I recently moved to a new home and refreshed my five year old home theater setups in two rooms after I moved in. The incredible quality and blazingly impressive technology available just boggles my mind. The ease with which it was all set up and began working flawlessly so quickly is equally impressive. If you had set up a display at the 1986 World's Fair or the GE Pavilion at Epcot in the 1980's, showing what the actual average upper-middle range home entertainment system would look like in the 2020's, no one back then would have believed you! They could not have even understood some of the tech concepts now sitting in every middle-class home.

Even working-class Americans with modest incomes now have HD streaming screens of 60 inches within their price range. It's mind boggling!

Hollywood must adapt to that. They can no longer keep belching out big-budget movies that not many people bother to go see in the theaters. There will still be massive hits like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar, or Spider-Man, but those can only happen a few times per year.

Adapt or die, Hollywood. They need to first look at their budgets and their staffing levels in their legacy studio complexes in SoCal.
What's your rig look like? What do you have setup for your home theaters?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Guess what, that is exactly what they've been doing for the last 5 years. Long before your post here Studios were already in the process of moving to a direct to consumer digital release strategy. We've been discussing it for years here, welcome to the party late. The pandemic just accelerated that plan which would have taken about 3-5 years longer had it not been accelerated. And because of the acceleration they didn't have low budget content in the pipeline, so had to rely on what they had which were the standard big budget releases.

Now they will transition to the more low budget content to push to streaming. Until then we'll continue to have posters like yourself that keep spouting they don't know how streaming can make any studios money. Trust me, if there is a way to make profit from it Disney and the other Studios will do so.

Phroobar

Because it's almost always wrapped up in blatant hypocrisy and smug groupthink. And the people doing it are not very smart.

The North Face example was perfect; a company (North Face) that sells products exclusively made out of petroleum products refuses to allow a petroleum product company (from Texas so you know they aren't good people!) to buy their products because petroleum is unfashionable and "does not align with our values". Their values of selling clothing made exclusively out of petroleum products?!? Companies like North Face are complete fools. 🤣

That subheading from Newsweek is editorial perfection; The company depends upon the very fossil fuels it purports to abhor.

Disney is wading deeper into those same virtue signaling waters, and that is very risky for them.

The Walt Disney Company is a behemoth that sells products that are inherently decadent and wasteful and unnecessary. Movies, plastic toys and cheap merchandise made in China and shipped via diesel ships around the world, TV shows and streaming services using massive energy-hog server farms, sprawling theme park complexes around the world that encourage tens of millions of people per year to drive/fly long distances from home to be entertained by singing robots in giant air conditioned warehouses.

All of it is wasteful decadence that requires massive amounts of energy and petroleum byproducts to sell.

So if Disney starts claiming in their family films that reading books by candlelight is the virtuous and proper thing to do, their entire business model for the entire company collapses very quickly. They need to be very, very careful what they wish for, and what messages they are putting into their films. Or else their own consumers might just start staying home to read a book instead. :banghead:
I'm going to read a book by candle light instead of watching Strange World.

LittleBuford

To be clear—and I say this as someone who’s actually watched it—Strange World doesn’t end with everyone happily getting by with candlelight. As I mentioned earlier, one of the final scenes is of a string of lightbulbs powered by wind. If people are going to rail against so-called virtue signalling, they should at least ensure that their complaints are based on accurate information.

TP2000

What's your rig look like? What do you have setup for your home theaters?

I did a Sony VPL 4K laser projector with 100" screen in the family room for watching movies and the news on. Sony Blu-Ray and stereo receiver, but I chose Klipsch in-wall speakers and subwoofer because, well, I've had them before and I'm sentimental. The home builder had a wall pre-designed in that big room just for that purpose, which made it easy to install and look seamless when it's not in use. I used Crutchfield for the hardware purchases for that room, because their customer service is top notch and very friendly. The home builder had a preferred installer handle the setup for me, which took less than one afternoon for them thanks to the pre-wiring in the new home.

In my bedroom I just did a basic Sony Bravia 4K OLED at 65 inches with a Sony Blu-Ray and sound bar. It all sits looking sleek on a wide credenza so I can sit there in bed eating Nanaimo Bars and drinking Scotch and watching Amazon Prime late at night. I also ordered that room via Crutchfield, but I set it up myself. It took half an hour including cardboard disposal, and I think I spent more time staging and re-staging a couple artsy vases around it on its credenza than I spent hooking it up and plugging the three cords in. Amazing times we live in!

Crutchfield is wonderful. They're an older name, and some of the young'uns here might not even know them. But they were huge in the 1970's and 80's for home and car audio, back when even Cadillacs only came with a chintzy AM/FM radio and two tinny dashboard speakers. They are just wonderful people, truly professional experts, to work with!

TP2000

To be clear—and I say this as someone who’s actually watched it—Strange World doesn’t end with everyone happily getting by with candlelight. As I mentioned earlier, one of the final scenes is of a string of lightbulbs powered by wind.

What do they do with the lightbulbs on non-windy days? Light another candle? :)

TP2000

It’s symbolic. Like pretty much all other Disney animated films, it isn’t meant to hold up to scientific scrutiny, but convey an uplifting message.

That should be their Uplifting Message marketing campaign for the 100th Anniversary at the Parks.

Stay Home And Light A Candle! Do NOT Go To Disneyland For The 100th! It's Wasteful & Unvirtuous! 🤔

Don'tVisitUsPlease,We'reVirtuous!.jpg

LittleBuford

I’m curious to see what’s next in our Strange World hate-a-thon. It seems we’ve largely moved on from the gay stuff and are now stuck on just how hypocritical its environmental message was. The list of complaints will no doubt grow as those who’ve never watched the film and have no interest in ever watching it continue to think up things to get angry about. I call it grievance signalling.

Last edited:

The Lochness Monsta

Have you seen the film? If so, what are your own thoughts on it?

I'll never see the movie. I hate the new unrealistic movements that are plaguing some of the new movies (Strange World, Turning Red) coming out. Every part of a person's face and body doesn't move when they are talking. It's something that bugs me. So I just won't watch them.

Good Day Lads and Lasses!

DCLcruiser

We watched Strange World last night.

Overall...way better than I expected. The animation was very good (except their mouths/voices don't match well.. not my stereo's issue), the characters were fairly well developed and the story was decent. I liked the obvious but creative overlap of biological functions with fauna/flora.

I liked how they all had adventure/geography names, Jaeger (hunter in German), Searcher, Meridian, Caspian, etc.

This could have been a great update to Body Wars, but oh well. They did a great job of showing Gen Z vs Millennials/GenX/Boomers and our immediate reaction to our environment (tame/kill vs coexist).

I really don't care about the Ethan/Diazo arc. It's fine, and I thought fairly authentic to how a High School(?) age kid feels. I did think that Jaeger's reaction to it was less realistic, but maybe the world is really changing (yea right).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom