'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Rich T

…Universal clearly focused on broad-based family entertainment and the strategy is paying off with families all over the world.
Part 2 of my reply: Also, it should be pointed out that the highly-successful “How to Train Your Dragon” films—soon to be a major themed land at Universal’s Epic Universe—feature a MAJOR character who is openly gay, as well as being the Chief’s best friend and the Teacher to all the youth on the Island of Berk. He’s awesome and extraordinarily brave, having literally lost limbs protecting the village. In the third film, he develops a crush on a fellow warrior.

And I think you’ve forgotten that, in Shrek 2, everyone finds out Pinocchio enjoys wearing women’s underwear. And that gag was prominently featured in the TV AD CAMPAIGN.

Both the Shrek and the How to Train Your Dragon franchises have been great successes, which is heartening, because both series focus on acceptance, tolerance, diversity and understanding.

The Lochness Monsta

22dnsw00002a-004-history-61-swatch_1024x.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

I saw this on a t-shirt online. .... You did it Disney! You made one of the biggest flops of the year.

Rich T

22dnsw00002a-004-history-61-swatch_1024x.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

I saw this on a t-shirt online. .... You did it Disney! You made one of the biggest flops of the year.
It’s also made the history books in a good way, as far as trying something different and being a pop culture milestone. You did it, if Disney: You made a solid animated sci-fi film instead of just another princess film. I’m glad you did. I hope you keep trying. :)

But, yeah, as one of the few pieces of merch out there, the slogan is unfortunate. I bought the (excellent) little figure set before it becomes landfill.

It’s odd to see folks celebrating a film’s initial financial failure. It’s a good movie, well worth seeing. A lot of talent went into its creation. It’ll find a solid, growing fanbase on streaming and will still be around long after all the talk about box office numbers is forgotten.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I wanted it to succeed! It didn't. Disney needs a visionary and script doctor to come in the next time they attempt another Sci-fi movie. It's like they're cursed when it comes to that genre.

Rich T

I wanted it to succeed! It didn't. Disney needs a visionary and script doctor to come in the next time they attempt another Sci-fi movie. It's like they're cursed when it comes to that genre.
I like this film, but it desperately needed a script doctor to come in and fix the generic dialogue and tired jokes. Get the folks who wrote Klaus!

The Lochness Monsta

It’s also made the history books in a good way, as far as trying something different and being a pop culture milestone. You did it, if Disney: You made a solid animated sci-fi film instead of just another princess film. I’m glad you did. I hope you keep trying. :)

But, yeah, as one of the few pieces of merch out there, the slogan is unfortunate. I bought the (excellent) little figure set before it becomes landfill.

It’s odd to see folks celebrating a film’s initial financial failure. It’s a good movie, well worth seeing. A lot of talent went into its creation. It’ll find a solid, growing fanbase on streaming and will still be around long after all the talk about box office numbers is forgotten.

I think people wanted it to fail because they are putting their agendas ahead of the stories. It seemed like they didn't focus on creating something people wanted to watch. They just seemed to care about checking off boxes.

Rich T

I think people wanted it to fail because they are putting their agendas ahead of the stories. It seemed like they didn't focus on creating something people wanted to watch. They just seemed to care about checking off boxes.
There are moments in Strange World that feel off-balance, I agree possibly because of box-checking. But its story is solid and its characters are fine; it’s all just really held back by unimaginative dialogue, sitcom interactions and unfunny gags. I’m fine with people watching it and not caring for it—But folks calling it garbage sight unseen are just being silly. It’s a good film full of good ideas and stunning animation. It just could have been much better-without losing any of its diversity—if they’d fixed the dialog and altered a few scenes. As I mentioned before, I really want to hear the behind-the-scenes scoop on what went on here.

Ghost93

Don’t forget though, Disney barely advertised Strange World at all, compared to the inescapable marketing circus they usually slap everyone in the face with.

There are all kinds of theories as to why, and someday I’d love to find out what really happened backstage there, but most people didn’t even know its release was imminent or that it was out.

One almost gets the impression that—for one reason or another—someone decided to throw this movie out into the wild, figuring if it became a hit on its own, swell.

I’d love to know the truth.
We will probably get the truth about 5-10 years from now, when there is a different Disney CEO and people are less worried about burning bridges.

_caleb

You think business people at Disney wanted to “check off boxes” instead of making money?
What are the boxes they checked? What’s on this list?

Ghost93

To be fair to Strange World, the most direct comparison is to Puss In Boots: The Last Wish.

Puss In Boots shot past Strange World's 35 days of domestic box office on its 8th day. It's also doing vastly better overseas than Strange World did, and it's trajectory is still straight up through this weekend. Strange World was even less popular overseas than it was in the USA.

Puss In Boots reportedly had a production budget of $90 Million, or half that of Strange World.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish was admittedly a much better movie than Strange World, which is something I can't believe I'm saying as I was rather excited about Strange World and had zero interest in Puss in Boots before the positive reviews started coming out. I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked it, as I had felt the Shrek franchise really wore out its welcome after the 2nd movie. It gave Puss a great character arc, was funny without being obnoxious and tackled the subject matter of mortality in a surprisingly sophisticated way for a children's film. The animation was also gorgeous.

I'd be down for a Disney Plus spinoff series set in the world of Strange World, but I feel Disney will just sort of sweep the movie under the rug for a good 15-20 years until they realize there is a nostalgic following for it.

_caleb

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish was admittedly a much better movie than Strange World, which is something I can't believe I'm saying as I was rather excited about Strange World and had zero interest in Puss in Boots before the positive reviews started coming out. I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked it, as I had felt the Shrek franchise really wore out its welcome after the 2nd movie. It gave Puss a great character arc, was funny without being obnoxious and tackled the subject matter of mortality in a surprisingly sophisticated way for a children's film. The animation was also gorgeous.

I'd be down for a Disney Plus spinoff series set in the world of Strange World, but I feel Disney will just sort of sweep the movie under the rug for a good 15-20 years until they realize there is a nostalgic following for it.
I have not seen Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, but I hate it as it was clearly made by utter morons who just wanted to check boxes and just wait until I find some random statistics to support my uninformed opinion

Last edited:

Ghost93

I have not seen Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, but I hate it at it was clearly made by utter morons who just wanted to check boxes and just wait until I find some random statistics to support my uninformed opinion
I want to make the record clear I do NOT agree with TP2000's uninformed claims that Strange World existed only to check boxes. His weird obsession with cheering on Strange World's downfall is baffling.

But I do agree that from an artistic standpoint, Puss in Boots is the better movie.

crispy

I had also read Puss in Boots isn’t doing as well as expected?
Puss in Boots was released in the middle of an unprecedented winter storm event so it's opening weekend isn't a good indicator of how it will do. It seems to be on track to do well with pretty decent domestic and world-wide numbers over the last few days. It also not been released yet in some bigger markets like Japan and the UK. Overall, it appears that it will do very well.

brb1006

No, I have zero interest in ever watching this movie even for free. Looks absolutely atrocious in every way. I already regret watching Encanto last year on Disney+ and this is even less my cup of tea.

However, I'm not surprised to hear people feel the men are all useless and inept because Disney doesn't know how to write male characters any other way now. I would have been shocked to hear if that wasn't the case.
How was Encanto bad?

RobWDW1971

Regardless of your opinion on the article's conclusions, these are the types of stories the general public is seeing about Disney.

Combined with the continued erosion of the Disney brand in recent polls, this should be very concerning for Disney executives trying to maintain their position as the trusted mass market family entertainment brand.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/go-woke-go-broke-liberal-movies-books-tv-bombed-2022

LittleBuford

Regardless of your opinion on the article's conclusions, these are the types of stories the general public is seeing about Disney.

Combined with the continued erosion of the Disney brand in recent polls, this should be very concerning for Disney executives trying to maintain their position as the trusted mass market family entertainment brand.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/go-woke-go-broke-liberal-movies-books-tv-bombed-2022
I’d be more concerned if that particular outlet had positive things to say about Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom