'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

mickEblu

Took my son to see Puss in Boots two days ago. I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it. Had its moments. Really enjoyed one of the villains and it had some cool stylized action sequences. Overall, It was just nice to see a movie where I could forget about the world for a couple hours as opposed to a movie that was crafted by focus groups checking off “inclusion” boxes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Took my son to see Puss in Boots two days ago. I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it. Had its moments. Really enjoyed one of the villains and it had some cool stylized action sequences. Overall, It was just nice to see a movie where I could forget about the world for a couple hours as opposed to a movie that was crafted by focus groups checking off “inclusion” boxes.
Well that non-"checking-off boxes" film isn't doing very well either, only getting $57.1M this weekend with only a $11.3M opening (lower opening than Strange World BTW). And while it'll make more than Strange World in the long run its not bringing in the crowds either.

Now some will try to attribute that to winter storms and such saying that held people back, sure maybe, but with Way of Water getting over $80M this weekend that just doesn't appear to be the case.

What I think it shows, just like has been discussed many times in many of these threads is that families aren't going to take a trip to the theater unless its for an event film. They'll wait for it to hit streaming instead and that this is just the new norm for the box office. Huge event films which take up the oxygen and win the box office, some award contender releases which don't matter for box office, and a scattering of other films with a majority of them not making much during their theatrical runs.

And honestly if we look at it realistically its just going back to the way things were when we were kids. You had the huge movies everyone looked forward to for the summers and holidays and then a bunch of lower end movies that you went to see on a Saturday afternoon. The only difference now is that those lower end movies have shorter theatrical releases. Studios just have to do better at reining in costs on these lower end movies so that a $50M run is seen as good.

So as the saying goes, everything old becomes new again.

TP2000

Box office is in for the Christmas weekend (23rd, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day). Even though it went to Disney+ on the 23rd, Strange World is still playing in 1,300 theaters, although you have to ask yourself why. It slid all the way down to 10th place at the US box office under the weight of a bunch of new films.

This is the domestic total from the 3 Days of the past weekend.

AwayInAManger,NoRoomAtTheInn.jpg

TP2000

You had the huge movies everyone looked forward to for the summers and holidays and then a bunch of lower end movies that you went to see on a Saturday afternoon. The only difference now is that those lower end movies have shorter theatrical releases. Studios just have to do better at reining in costs on these lower end movies so that a $50M run is seen as good.

Back then, silly Saturday afternoon movies didn't have production budgets of $180 Million (Strange World) or $200 Million (Lightyear). They had production budgets of less than $5 Million, which adjusted for inflation since 1980 would be $15 Million today.

Meatballs, 1979 = Production Budget $1.5 Million
Airplane, 1980 = Production Budget $3.5 Million
Animal House, 1978 = Production Budget $3.0 Million

Even Disney's film budgets for "tentpole" animated fare have ballooned way beyond comprehension.

Pete's Dragon, 1978 = Production Budget $10 Million (or $45 Million today, adjusted for inflation)

If Burbank's new business model is to make "family" movies that many parents do not want to take their young children to, so be it. And as a bonus, Karey Burke can get weepy and virtue signal on Zoom calls all she wants, while the Burbank cubicle army brunches in Silver Lake and brags how important their work is and how they're better people than their target audience. They have every right to make those business decisions going forward.

But if that's Burbank's new business model for Pixar and Disney Animation films, they can no longer spend upwards of $200 Million on each film. That is an unsustainable business model, and they need to scale way back on production budgets. It would even require layoffs of some execs and at least a couple floors of cubicles.

RobWDW1971

Well that non-"checking-off boxes" film isn't doing very well either, only getting $57.1M this weekend with only a $11.3M opening (lower opening than Strange World BTW).

....What I think it shows, just like has been discussed many times in many of these threads is that families aren't going to take a trip to the theater unless its for an event film.

Except the very definition of an "event film" is a Walt Disney Animation tentpole feature film costing $180M opening on 4,200 screens on Thanksgiving weekend. Strange World was supposed to be an event film, but due to its controversy, baggage, and poor quality, was a box office disaster.

And families are going to see animated movies. Just over the past year, Minions:Rise of Gru grossed $939M globally, Sing 2 grossed $408M, The Bad Guys grossed $250M and even Paw Patrol:The Movie (hardly an "event" film) grossed $144M.

Strange World, a $180M Disney tentpole feature will be lucky to gross $70M globally.

Puss in Boots:The Last Wish (with a reported budget of half of Strange World) is opening nearly 40% stronger than SW in its first six days and that includes SW having Tuesday preview shows, which PIB did not.

We will see where they both end up globally in a few weeks as the PIB word of mouth is exceptionally positive vs the horrible SW audience rankings.

Box Office:

PIBTLW after six days: Projected $26.9M (per Deadline forecast)
SW after six days (includes Tuesday preview showings): $19.3M
PB 39% higher in first six days

CinemaScore

PIB: A
SW: B (Iowest in Disney animation history)

All Audience Score RT

PIB: 92%
SW: 40%

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Back then, silly Saturday afternoon movies didn't have production budgets of $180 Million (Strange World) or $200 Million (Lightyear). They had production budgets of less than $5 Million, which adjusted for inflation since 1980 would be $15 Million today.

Meatballs, 1979 = Production Budget $1.5 Million
Airplane, 1980 = Production Budget $3.5 Million
Animal House, 1978 = Production Budget $3.0 Million

Even Disney's film budgets for "tentpole" animated fare have ballooned way beyond comprehension.

Pete's Dragon, 1978 = Production Budget $10 Million (or $45 Million today, adjusted for inflation)

If Burbank's new business model is to make "family" movies that many parents do not want to take their young children to, so be it. And as a bonus, Karey Burke can get weepy and virtue signal on Zoom calls all she wants, while the Burbank cubicle army brunches in Silver Lake and brags how important their work is and how they're better people than their target audience.

But if that's Burbank's new business model for Pixar and Disney Animation films, they can no longer spend upwards of $200 Million on each film. That is an unsustainable business model, and they need to scale way back on production budgets.
Not sure I understand your post here, so you agree with me or you don't?

I basically said the exact same thing but in a very short succinct way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except the very definition of an "event film" is a Walt Disney Animation tentpole feature film costing $180M opening on 4,200 screens on Thanksgiving weekend. Strange World was supposed to be an event film, but due to its controversy, baggage, and poor quality, was a box office disaster.

And families are going to see animated movies. Just over the past year, Minions:Rise of Gru grossed $939M globally, The Bad Guys grossed $250M and even Paw Patrol:The Movie (hardly an "event" film) grossed $144M.

Strange World, a $180M Disney tentpole feature will be lucky to gross $70M globally.

PIB is opening nearly 40% stronger than SW in its first six days and that includes SW having Tuesday preview shows, which PIB didn't. We will see where they both end up globally in a few weeks as the PIB word of mouth is exceptionally positive vs the horrible SW audience rankings.

Box Office:

PIBTLW after six days: Projected $26.9M (per Deadline forecast)
SW after six days (plus Tuesday preview showings): $19.3
PB 39% higher in first six days

CinemaScore

PIB: A
SW: B (Iowest in Disney animation history)

All Audience Score RT

PIB: 92%
SW: 40%
Was SW really suppose to be an event film, not sure about that. I would add that yes in the post-2000s WDAS had event films, but that doesn't mean its going to be every year or forever.

Also for your couple examples of animated and family movies, there more that didn't bring in the box office this year.

Just to name a few that didn't clear $100M domestically:

DC: Super Pets
Lyle, Lyle Crocodile
Paws of Fury

Again shows that Disney isn't the only studio having issues breaking consumers habit of waiting for streaming. The entire box office is still down 35% from its 2019 levels, and it may never come back to its pre-2019 levels.

So while we can sit here and discuss all the reasons this specific film didn't do well its the entire box office that is down, and so not just isolated to Disney and this one film.

We'll have to see how 2023 does, but I'm not anticipating its going to go back to pre-2019 levels either. We may just never see those days again.

mickEblu

While I would say that is a very lofty goal, its just not realistic. Not every WDAS film is going to be a winner, as we've seen over the last 100 years.

Not every one will be a winner but they should still be viewed as an event by the public. Unfortunately they ve been putting out some crap over the last few years so that doesn’t make people want to run to the movies but I’d imagine if you spend 180 million on a movie you expect it to be somewhat of an event.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not every one will be a winner but they should still be viewed as an event by the public. Unfortunately they ve been putting out some crap over the last few years so that doesn’t make people want to run to the movies but I’d imagine if you spend 180 million on a movie you expect it to be somewhat of an event.
Dunno, the thing is can it be an event film if it ends up not being a winner? For example if Frozen was seen as a dud of a film it won't have been the event film it became. Its the word of mouth that makes them an event film. So its sort of that chicken and egg thing, you can't have an event film without it being a winner and it won't be a winner without it being an event film with strong word of mouth.

And I think we all agree that costs have to be reined in across the board on movies like this, this probably should have cost half of what it did.

Disney Analyst

The second place film over the Christmas weekend is Universal’s animated Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, which opened Wednesday and grossed $11.4 million for the three-day and $18.6 million for the four-day, bringing the cume to $24.7 million through Monday. The best comp is last year’s Sing 2, which also opened in the shadow of a huge franchise film the Wednesday ahead of the Christmas weekend, but unfortunately the gross of Puss in Boots 2 isn’t holding up. Sing 2 was at $47 million at the end of its sixth release day, almost double The Last Wish’s cume. The Last Wish also can’t match up to the first Puss in Boots, which opened to $34.1 million back in 2011. The opening on the toon’s sequel is comparable to Disney’s recent Strange World, which was a box office disaster as it opened to $18.9 million over the long Thanksgiving five-day weekend and has since tallied just $35.9 million.

The good news for the Puss in Boots franchise is that the budget on the sequel is more modest ($90 million) than the costly Strange World, and the legs should be better given the Shrek-spinoff’s strong word of mouth, having received a great A CinemaScore compared to Strange World’s B. There are no major animated films in the first quarter of 2023, so like Sing 2, which legged out to $163 million, Puss in Boots 2 should play long, and with the holidays it could catch up to the solid box office of this year’s earlier animated titles The Bad Guys and DC League of Super-Pets (both films opened at $23-24 million and finished in the mid-$90 millions). Worldwide the total is $57.2 million.

mickEblu

Dunno, the thing is can it be an event film if it ends up not being a winner? For example if Frozen was seen as a dud of a film it won't have been the event film it became. Its the word of mouth that makes them an event film. So its sort of that chicken and egg thing, you can't have an event film without it being a winner and it won't be a winner without it being an event film with strong word of mouth.

And I think we all agree that costs have to be reined in across the board on movies like this, this probably should have cost half of what it did.

So we don’t know if a movie is an event until AFTER it comes out? So with Avatar 2 it wasn’t an event film until after the first weekend of ticket sales? Obviously not it’s been an event in the minds of movie goers for months leading up to its release.
Should be the same way with Disney films that come out every year or less. Obviously not to the same magnitude as Avatar 2 but people should be anticipating them. Unfortunately, they ve been losing the goodwill and trust of their audience of late. Obviously any movie with bad word of mouth will effect turn out.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Just finished watching it with my partner. We both enjoyed it and would rank it above Raya and the Last Dragon and Home on the Range. It is, in my view, much more engaging than Lightyear and leagues better than the dreadful Chicken Little. The hate it's received is undeserved and seems to me to have very little to do with the quality of the film itself.

A few disjointed thoughts:

The story is nicely fleshed out and at times quite exciting. The environmental message hit home without being preachy or heavy-handed. The only real weak spot for us was the very end: we couldn't tell what they had switched to (I'm keeping my description vague so as to avoid spoilers) and had to look it up. Even when rewatched in light of this information, the final scenes did not seem especially clear to us.

The flora and fauna of the eponymous strange world are really something to behold! It was a feast for the eyes.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Ethan's crush on Diazo was much less subtly dealt with than I'd been led to believe. @Vegas Disney Fan, for example, described it as "so minor it barely existed", but it comes up at about four separate moments ranging from the beginning to the end of the film, and I would say that most attentive viewers (including children) would understand what's going on. While it doesn't drive the plot in any way, nor is it (as some have suggested) just a gratuitous nod to inclusion. To my mind, it ties in very well with the theme of fatherly acceptance that runs throughout the film, because even though homophobia appears to be absent from the world of Strange World, its continuing existence in ours adds an extra layer of meaning to Searcher and Jaeger's total ease with Ethan's homosexuality. It was heartening to watch as a forty-year-old gay man and would have been truly uplifting to see as a gay boy. (Not that I want to reopen the "Midwestern Moms" can of worms, but I should make clear that I still don't think that the film's poor performance had anything to do with its handling of "gay themes", which, though more prominent than I'd expected, remain a rather minor thread of the movie.)

The claim advanced in this thread that the father, Searcher Clade, was made to look like a "bumbling idiot" has zero basis in fact. On the contrary, his character emerges as an intelligent, strong, and self-sacrificial hero who is swiftly able to get over his own hang-ups and do right by his son and the world at large. He plays a pivotal role in saving the day. Those concerned about such things can, in other words, rest assured that the straight white dad is not thrown under the bus by this film. Even the grandfather, Jaeger Clade, comes good in the end, despite his very many flaws.

People have commented (negatively) on the character designs, but I liked the cartoony aesthetic. The only complaint I have concerns Ethan, whose appearance to me reads more like that of an adult woman than a teenage boy. I wish they'd based his looks more closely on Jaboukie's cheeky and boyish face.

Legend the dog and Splat the, well, splat are adorable! My partner and I were smiling whenever we saw them.

All in all, we liked Strange World quite a bit and would happily rewatch it. This thread does the film (and the individuals whose efforts went into its creation) a great disservice. I would urge those bent on railing against it to watch it before they continue commenting.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Finally sat down and watched it on D+ with the family. And....it was...okay.

I did not hate it like I thought I would based off the horrible reviews it was receiving. But it was just okay. I liked the world they were building, but none of the characters felt very real or interesting to me. Part of it was the horrible animation where everyone looks like cartoon blobs and not realistic people (a current trend for DIS which is annoying) so that the characters mostly fell flat. The mom was the most engaging character. The main character, Ethan?, was so bland. The only part of his personality that came through was his crush on another boy, which was much more pronounced than I at first thought. Say what you will, but I can totally understand parents of young children not wanting to have those conversations stirred up by the film. It is not blink and you will miss it but it was handled well. The ending was creative but predictable, and I am proud to say I guessed it based on the trailers alone. Not sure it was worth the price of admission though.

It just is further proof that Disney has lost its way. Lightyear, Turning Red, Soul, Raya, Luca...none of them are that amazing in my opinion (although I very much enjoyed Encanto). I am hopeful for Pixar's Elementals, the live action Little Mermaid, and Wish (a musical that promises an actual return to form with, not a twist villain, but an actual real classic Disney villain). So, here is to hoping....

Disney Analyst

I’m home for Christmas, and my mom wanted to watch tonight. This also included the grandkid (my niece), whose third time it is watching.

My mom wasn’t aware that Ethan was gay, so the first scene where this is revealed she says “wait, does he have a crush on him?!?”

My niece replies simply “yep!”.

She’s five. The kids are alright folks.

Anyway, holds up well on a second watch - such an enjoyable film. Clever, colourful, a great world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom