'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Check Clownfish's new video. No Disney animated movie has gotten below an A- on Cinemascore.
Which I just posted to be the case when I said...

No *animated features* got below an A-.

Which you quoted!!

What is wrong with you?

Anyhoo... Clownfish is a horrible source. Any vlogger with Kathleen Kennedy derangement syndrome is.

CJR

Seeing some comparisons to Minions: The Rise of Gru.

This movie is streaming on Peacock ($4.99 a month with ads). It released theatrically on July 1st and landed on Peacock September 23rd. So, less than three months after its theatrical release.

Ironically, it also cost less to make at $80 million.

I'd say its success over Lightyear and Strange World was a combination of factors. Disney is still a political target and was then too. On top of that, Minions is a more lighter colored movie based on familiar characters. Steve Carell also had a larger role, he's pretty loved and may have attracted more adults with kids.

I think Disney is aiming too high in their target demographic for a big budget animated film. I expect us all to be adults here. We're likely more willing to sit down for a movie that our kids want to watch than the other way around.

As an adult with a kid with no interest in these movies, if I go without them, do I want to see an animated movie or a well rated Marvel superhero movie that's very fresh?

It was an easy decision for most adults, and the interesting part is that kids were also more interested in Black Panther, so it still ended up being a family outing. It's also ironic they're both Disney movies, at least Disney can still say that it won the weekend.

It's easy to say that Disney should have spread them out more, but then another studio could have jumped in and won the weekend. I think this was better, especially with Avatar coming in December.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I'd say its success over Lightyear and Strange World was a combination of factors. Disney is still a political target and was then too. On top of that, Minions is a more lighter colored movie based on familiar characters. Steve Carell also had a larger role, he's pretty loved and may have attracted more adults with kids.

Buzz Lightyear isn't a popular character? Chris Evans isn't popular with adults and kids?

_caleb

Everyone celebrating the poor box office showing of Strange World, what lesson do you think Disney will learn from this? Based on what you know of the company, what do you think (not hope) they will actually do differently in order to avoid losing money in the future?

CaptainAmerica

Everyone celebrating the poor box office showing of Strange World, what lesson do you think Disney will learn from this? Based on what you know of the company, what do you think (not hope) they will actually do differently in order to avoid losing money in the future?
giphy.gif

CJR

Buzz Lightyear isn't a popular character? Chris Evans isn't popular with adults and kids?

Different Buzz and apparently not.

The Minions were the same as always and voiced by the same actor.

I never mentioned Chris Evans, just Steve Carell. I absolutely believe Steve has more family trust than Chris, after multiple Despicable Me films. Captain America is a great hero, but associated with PG-13 movies.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Well, since we're talking about hope...

Maybe Disney should stop making movies where the characters and plot are greenlit just because they check off all of the correct boxes.

Maybe Disney should just focus on good stories and appealing characters. And definitely go back to talking animals.

Universal's Minions didn't make any statements about its characters or story. It's just a funny, all-ages movie. Same with Sing 1 and 2. The Bad Guys was just a fun talking-animal romp. All those films are successful. So yeah, maybe just make movies like you used to, Disney, full of enchantment and beauty and fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Analyst

Not a great thanksgiving box office in general:

SUNDAY AM Writethru: After Saturday update Even with a Marvel movie overperforming in the marketplace — such as Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which conquered $64M over 5 days — the Thanksgiving Wednesday-Sunday stretch wasn’t one for the record books. It ranked outside the top 10 with an estimated $122M, off 14% from a year ago. That’s when were had more Covid fears, a lest robust Marvel title in the marketplace, a solid adult draw in House of Gucci ($22M), and a better performing Disney family animated movie in Encanto, which did $40.5M in its 5 day launch. Black Friday, a typical potent day at the box office, also came up short from last year, down 12% with $33.7M versus 2021’s $38.3M. Per Comscore, 2018 ranks as the best Thanksgiving stretch with $315.6M for all films. That’s when Ralph Breaks the Internet and Creed II were on the marquee.

Overall, it’s been a bleak Turkey Day holiday at the box office with ticket sales capping off at just $125 million. Those figures mark a 10% decline from last Thanksgiving’s somewhat disappointing $142 million bounty, boosted by “Encanto” and “House of Gucci.” This year’s downward trend is particularly concerning because Thanksgiving, at least in the pre-pandemic era, used to consistently deliver strong box office results to the tune of at least $250 million over five days.

Ghost93

In fact, I can list every Disney Animation Studios movie I thought Strange World was better than: Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Oliver and Comapny, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, and Ralph Breaks the Internet. It's about on par with Meet the Robinsons and Bolt. Every other Disney animated movie I did not mention is — in my totally subjective opinion — better than Strange World. This is not coming from someone who wanted this movie to fail or who hates gay inclusion. I love the representation! But representation alone doesn't make a movie great!

RobWDW1971

Variety:

"There’s not a lot to be thankful for at the Thanksgiving box office. Disney’s “Strange World” failed to entice family audiences, collapsing in its debut with $11.9 million from 4,174 North American theaters over the weekend and $18.6 million over the five-day holiday frame. Heading into the weekend, the film was expected to earn $30 million to $40 million during the long weekend.

“Strange World” didn’t make up ground at the international box office, where it earned $9.2 million from 43 markets for a global start of $27.8 million.

That’s a catastrophic result for Disney, which has always been considered the gold standard in animation. But the studio has stumbled in pandemic times with “Lightyear,” one of the few Pixar films to lose money in its theatrical run, as well as “Encanto,” which didn’t become a viral TikTok sensation until the musical fable landed on Disney+.

The $180 million-budgeted “Strange World” is poised to be another money loser for Disney, unless business miraculously recovers in the next few weeks. But that’s not likely since the film, an animated adventure about a family of legendary explorers, has mediocre reviews, a tepid “B” CinemaScore and minimal buzz. If the movie replicates the sales of “Lightyear” (which fizzled with $226 million worldwide) and “Encanto” (which tapped out with $256 million worldwide), “Strange World” stands to lose at least $100 million in its theatrical run.

Rival studios believe “Strange World” will be lucky to hit $45 million by the end of its domestic run. Furthermore, its overseas grosses may be limited."

mickEblu

You’ve nailed it. I’ve been hating Disney movies since they put the Twitter joke in Moana. It has nothing to do with politics, it’s about Disney’s current obsession with being relevant and hip that they fail to make timeless classics for generations to come.

I’m glad this failed and I hope Disney returns to its roots, making classic, timeless films that cross generational boundaries.

That was an awful joke. Lol.

I agree. That’s my hope as well.

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney’s had a string of mediocre movies and the public perception seems to be shifting against them, they’re not the must see movies they once were and Disney needs a hit to turn things around.

Mmoore29

I certainly feel quite disappointed having to eat crow, naturally. But let's also put something in perspective here.

The reason certain movies are projected to fail is simply because the press WANTS them to fail, and they go "See, it's failing!" They have a pre-set narrative, and they are dead set to condition the audience to respond to it. If the press didn't plant things like that and just took an approach of "let the chips fall where they may," the movie in question would be appreciated more on its own merits, instead of the public, buying what the press says, and going, "Oh, it's not going to succeed, why bother buying a ticket to see what the fuss is about?" I hate that aspect. Basically it's as if they take it upon themselves to be like Johnny Appleseed, planting garbage instead of apple trees.

The press basically shoved a great number of Disney's films down in this manner, kept saying "It'll fail, it'll fail, it'll fail," and the mantra was lazily accepted. Why? Because the press is so in love with the idea of "Disney in disarray", they'll do whatever it takes to make it so and manufacture things to go along with the valid problems. They just want to kick Disney in the teeth for anything and everything.

TwilightZone

It will be interesting to see how this compares to Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. I keep reading that there has been no marketing for Strange World, but I have seen a ton of commercials on TV, YouTube, etc. I have seen one commercial for Puss in Boots and that was at the movie theater when we saw the Rise of Gru.
Really? I think I have seen more puss in boots ads in the last week over Strange World. Strange world did start out with more advertising, but it has been dipping down lately. I assume maybe its because of the financial failure it has been? Must be a big embarrassment over at Disney headquarters and they might be trying to hide the movie's existence for one reason or another. Ouch if I am right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom