'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

SuddenStorm

Why wouldn't that apply to Wakanda Forever? I don't think anything about what you're describing is unique to kids.

There might be greater pressure for people to see a film like Wakanda Forever on the big screen due to it being a major superhero film. I imagine an animated film is often perceived as more of a 'watch this at home with the family' type movie.

mf1972

we watched it today. not a bad movie, but not at all memorable. we didnā€™t hate it, but thought it couldā€™ve been better. iā€™m willing to check it out again whenever it lands on disney+ & maybe have a different opinion on it. 1 thing i will praise it for is that itā€™s visually impressive. if iā€™m rating it from 0-4 stars, iā€™d give it a 2 1/2

MarvelCharacterNerd

I continue to be shocked by the comments about great visuals. Maybe they REALLY are promoting this frilm wrong but from the first artwork we've seen, all I could think was:
"who decided that ANATOMY was a great color palette for a film?"

1669347675338.png
1669347704575.png

I put the image in spoiler tags because it's gross. But it's literally all I can think of when I see the artwork of this movie. It's all... fleshtones and organs. Ick.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I continue to be shocked by the comments about great visuals. Maybe they REALLY are promoting this frilm wrong but from the first artwork we've seen, all I could think was:
"who decided that ANATOMY was a great color palette for a film?"

View attachment 680826 View attachment 680827

I put the image in spoiler tags because it's gross. But it's literally all I can think of when I see the artwork of this movie. It's all... fleshtones and organs. Ick.
Spoiler

The big twist in the movie is that theyā€™re in somethingā€™s body.

TwilightZone

I'm trying to think, is "Lilo & Stitch" Disney's only mainline (aka no marvel, pixar, lucasfilm, etc) "sci-fi" hit? It's not entirely sci fi in its setting, but it does star an alien.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
For me personally. Marvel films benefit from the big screen and sound system experience.

Other filmsā€¦ I can wait.
Maybe that was one of the flaws with the Strange World marketing campaign. Because the VISUALS of the thing look amazing. Maybe they should have emphasized the alien landscapes and added a "see it on the big screen" tag.

Sir_Cliff

I'm trying to think, is "Lilo & Stitch" Disney's only mainline (aka no marvel, pixar, lucasfilm, etc) "sci-fi" hit? It's not entirely sci fi in its setting, but it does star an alien.
I find it hard to consider that a sci-fi film as it's mostly set in Hawaii and, at least for most of the film, Stitch might as well be an ugly koala who washed up from Australia. Wall-E (Pixar, I know) is the only animated sci-fi film I can think of that has been a success and that was at the height of Pixar's winning streak, so I am kind of surprised this one was green lit. I guess they are at least taking some creative risks rather than just writing off animated sci-fi adventures, but it kind of seems like a formula for underwhelming box office.

As for the difference between this and Wakanda Forever, I do think there is something to these big action/super hero films being the one thing people still seem to think are worth seeing on the big screen. I also a large amount of families with young kids who consume Disney entertainment have Disney+ and are at this point kind of trained to see it as a substitute for both loading up the kids and taking them to the cinema for the latest Disney film or having to buy the films on blu-ray, etc. Unless Disney starts drawing out the time until the films are available on Disney+, I think they'll logically have trouble convincing a lot of those families to spend the extra money on tickets instead of trying to teach the kiddies some patience.

Edit: Hmm, probably no point typing any of that as I think it has been said a million times on here anyway!

TP2000

While we wait for the box office numbers to start coming in later this weekend, since theaters were empty yesterday...

I found this statistical breakdown from Deadline on Strange World's first day audiences interesting. This is hard facts and data from a solid industry source, as fresh as a palate of freshly picked Rainier cherries on a warm July morning. ;) šŸ’

"Comscore/Screen Engineā€™s PostTrak and a B CinemaScore. Men over 25 were dominant at 33%, but hated it at 66%. Women over 25 were next in attendance at 24% but gave it a 90% grade; then men under 25 at 23% and 83% grade and women under 25 at 21% who gave the pic its best grade at 92%. Diversity demos were 47% Caucasian, 25% Asian, 22% Hispanic and 6% Black. Not a flashy recommend at 55%."

In short, grown men hated it but grown women loved it. Younger audiences liked it better across both genders. And for some reason, Asians were a huge part of the audience, while Blacks stayed away. Asians make up 7% of Americans, but were 25% of ticket purchasers, while Blacks make up 14% of Americans but were only 6% of ticket purchasers.

Interesting how they can break that all down! The movie industry has great analytics working for it.

TP2000

One of the issues I think is people (parents) are now trained to wait for D+. Many find it hard to justify paying $30-$40 when in less than 2 months they can see it for $10-12. At home. With the kids comfy.

Agreed. And it's exactly that strategy that seems to have damaged their bloated Studios businesses so badly, and it likely is a huge reason why Bob Chapek was fired suddenly last weekend.

Burbank is bleeding money by handling their film business this way. Especially when they spend $150 to $250 Million producing each film while Americans can wait them out and just see it on Disney+ unlimited times for 8 bucks per month.

Strange World cost $180 Million to produce. Burbank saved money by doing minimal marketing on it, but it's still going to cost them at least one hundred million dollars of money flushed down the toilet. If not two hundred million.

No wonder they are in full panic and crisis mode now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
a B CinemaScore.
That's pretty bad.
  • Cars 2 got an A-.
  • Ralph Breaks the Internet got an A-.
  • Rise of Skywalker got a B+.
  • Eternals got a B.
  • A Wrinkle in Time and Tomorrowland got a B.
There is, tho, a slim chance, a very slim chance, that it got such a low score because opening crowds really didn't understand it, but, it resonates with wider audience later. That happened to "The Nightmare Before Christmas" which initially got a B+, but then, eventually, high scores from critics and the audience.

TP2000

As of 4:30pm Mountain Standard Time, Americans awaking from their tryptophan hangover and looking to see a movie this weekend will now find this cherry picked data on Rotten Tomatoes website, based on the last two days of Strange World feedback...

Not really a ringing endorsement, is it? But I guess it could be worse. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

VotingWithWallet.jpg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
While we wait for the box office numbers to start coming in later this weekend, since theaters were empty yesterday...

I found this statistical breakdown from Deadline on Strange World's first day audiences interesting. This is hard facts and data from a solid industry source, as fresh as a palate of freshly picked Rainier cherries on a warm July morning. ;) šŸ’

"Comscore/Screen Engineā€™s PostTrak and a B CinemaScore. Men over 25 were dominant at 33%, but hated it at 66%. Women over 25 were next in attendance at 24% but gave it a 90% grade; then men under 25 at 23% and 83% grade and women under 25 at 21% who gave the pic its best grade at 92%. Diversity demos were 47% Caucasian, 25% Asian, 22% Hispanic and 6% Black. Not a flashy recommend at 55%."

In short, grown men hated it but grown women loved it. Younger audiences liked it better across both genders. And for some reason, Asians were a huge part of the audience, while Blacks stayed away. Asians make up 7% of Americans, but were 25% of ticket purchasers, while Blacks make up 14% of Americans but were only 6% of ticket purchasers.

Interesting how they can break that all down! The movie industry has great analytics working for it.

Interesting breakdown indeed, but their (Disney) problem is they cant attract sufficient numbers of those who rate it higher... a customer is a customer as long as they pay for a seat and hopefully enough to recoup the studios outlay to get it to market.

TP2000

There is, tho, a slim chance, a very slim chance, that it got such a low score because opening crowds really didn't understand it, but, it resonates with wider audience later. That happened to "The Nightmare Before Christmas" which initially got a B+, but then, eventually, high scores from critics and the audience.

I guess anything is possible? And I'm no expert at this since I rarely go see movies in theaters, and certainly not Disney movies. But the industry watchers are far less optimistic after the last two days.

From Variety in an afternoon update today...

"Disneyā€™s ā€œStrange World,ā€ an animated adventure about a family of legendary explorers, is settling for box office scraps.

After a rocky $4.2 million opening day on Wednesday, the film collected $2.4 million from 4,174 North American theaters on Thursdayā€™s Thanksgiving holiday. With its two-day total at $6.7 million, weekend estimates for ā€œStrange Worldā€ have been revised slightly. Now, the movie is expected to end the five-day frame with roughly $26 million, which is still a dismal result given its $180 million production budget. Heading into the Turkey Day weekend, the kid-friendly fable was estimated to earn $30 million to $40 million in its debut."

So, originally hoped to get a very modest $30 to $40 million in box office this holiday weekend, now aiming for $26 Million for the first five days and that's not guaranteed. $26 Million may look optimistic judging by trends so far.

Again I say, it's got to be tough to be in Burbank this holiday season! After last weekend's corporate coup and suddenly airbrushing a CEO out of existence, I can only imagine how many Christmas vacations were just cancelled for Burbank bosses. The financial failure of Strange World is rubbing salt in that wound.

But thank God for Marvel! šŸ™

SuddenStorm

As of 4:30pm Mountain Standard Time, Americans awaking from their tryptophan hangover and looking to see a movie this weekend will now find this cherry picked data on Rotten Tomatoes website, based on the last two days of Strange World feedback...

Not really a ringing endorsement, is it? But I guess it could be worse. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

View attachment 681036

My goodness how Walt Disney Animation has fallen. At least when Lasseter was around things were sort of consistent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom