Strange Splash Mountain Song

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
Not sure where to put this, but I was just listening to an MP3 of Splash Mountain, and I noticed there was a song that I had never heard before. It is right before the main drop, and it has a woman singing. Some of the lyrics go: "What can poor Brer Rabbit do to keep from becoming rabbit stew? Poor Brer Rabbit is wastin' my breath, the rabbit is facing certain death."

What version of Splash Mountain is this song from? My guess was Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland, as I'm pretty sure it's not from WDW.

ToTBellHop

Disneyland. WDW's version still has the background melody to the song playing, but not the vocals (there are little rabbit animatronics that sing the song on the DL ride, and those didn't end up on the WDW version).

Sledge

Account Suspended
Steamboat_Kevin said:
Not sure where to put this, but I was just listening to an MP3 of Splash Mountain, and I noticed there was a song that I had never heard before. It is right before the main drop, and it has a woman singing. Some of the lyrics go: "What can poor Brer Rabbit do to keep from becoming rabbit stew? Poor Brer Rabbit is wastin' my breath, the rabbit is facing certain death."

What version of Splash Mountain is this song from? My guess was Disneyland or Tokyo Disneyland, as I'm pretty sure it's not from WDW.

Disneyland. Right before the big drop you see Brer Rabbit's mother and she is singing in what looks like a small dug out rabbit hole with a strong light and a cool shadow behind her.

Jerm

It was in Disneylands version way back in 89 for a few months. It is called Burrow's Lament/Sooner or Later (I am away from all my info on it right now) but it was sung at the base of the lift for the big drop. If you have the box set for the 50th it has some great info on the song and why it was cut out early on.

J

ToTBellHop

I'm pretty sure this song is still on the ride...I can sing it in my head and I've never heard any music related to Splash that isn't on the ride.

Woody74

Two Different Songs

To clarify a little:

The OP is referring to the song that currently plays in that pre-lift hill spot, which is a minor-key version of "Laughin' Place".

Jerm is referring to the ORIGINAL song that played there, "Sooner or Later" which is a different song from the SOTS movie, but in the ride was originally sung by the mother rabbit prior to the lift hill. This song is included on the Musical History of Disneyland CD set, but is no longer played on the ride.

I personally prefer the creepy "Laughin' Place" version, as it sets up the tension for the big drop better. "Sooner or Later" is a little too laid-back and cheerful a tune for that moment in the ride. Hope that's helpful.

Jerm

Thank you Woody. I gave the info I did due to the poster asking about a song he/she does not remember on the attraction, which lead me to giving my info.

J

Just thought I'd add that there's also a mother 'possum singing to her brood as well as the mother rabbit in the DL version - or at least when I last visited DL in 2000...

Sledge

Account Suspended
Burrow's Lament is still there. I have a video from June 2005 that can confirm this.

Burrow's Lament

What can poor Brer Rabbit do, To keep from becoming Rabbit Stew?
Warnin' Brer Rabbit is wastin' my breath!
That rabbit is facin' certain death!

Don't you go to the Laughin' Place
Or the fox will get you too!

Stay away from the Laughin' Place!
You must beware, the fox is there!
Don't go in!

That Brer Fox's had his way
At the Laughin' Place this very day!

Sooner or Later is an entirely different song.

Sooner Or Later

Sooner or Later that rabbit is gonna come home (he's comin')
I'll betcha, I'll betcha that he'll get there.
You wait and see! (Will he, mama?)

Sooner or Later Brer Fox'll be letting him go (ooh, ooh)
I'll betcha (ooh, ooh) Brer Rabbit's gonna free him.
You wait and see! (You wait and see.)

He's gonna trick ol' Brer Fox
Get away by his talks
Matter-of-factly I don't know exactly when. (aah, aah)

But Sooner or Later that rabbit is gonna come home
(gonna come home)
He's learned his lesson again.

He's gonna fool ol' Brer Bear (yeah!)
Escape from his lair (he is!)
Matter-of-factly I don't know exactly when. (Sooner or Later!)

But Sooner or Later that rabbit is gonna come home
(gonna come home)
He's learned his lesson again!

Sooner or Later that rabbit is gonna come home (he's comin')
I'll betcha, I'll betcha that he'll get there.
You wait and see! (Will he, mama?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom