News Storms a brewin’ in the Atlantic

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Well, Marco weakening into a TS is certainly better than him coming in at hurricane force -- but there will still be lots of rain along the Louisiana/Texas coastal areas if he moves west as forecast and TS-force winds can still take down weak trees, large signs and canopies.

On the other hand, Laura's track has moved well west of New Orleans, but her coming in three days behind all of Marco's rain will make it rough. for trees in already soggy ground, bayous and rivers already swollen by the earlier rain, and the areas west of New Orleans who might not have been expecting the second storm's impacts. I haven't seen any Cat 3 predictions for her, but even if she makes it to a Cat 2, effects-wise, I'd expect slightly higher damage totals because of the aftereffects from Marco. Cat 4 5-- :eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek:

I'm sure Houston isn't looking forward to two huge rain events so close together!

Hoping everyone stays safe! This is bringing back memories of 2004 in Florida.

Last edited:

Lilofan

As Governor Scott in the past in FL said for those who stay behind, write your social security # on your arm so we can identify your body. I've survived a Cat 3 hiding in a closet and the destruction and road to recovery is beyond imagination. A Cat 4 will be devastation. I was staying 60 miles inland and it didn't lessen its power.

John park hopper

Yes this storm is nothing to fool around with --looks like it will be a cat 4 or 3 when it makes land fall. Having gone through hurricane Hugo which was a cat 4 borderline cat 5 we had a 17 foot storm surge where the boat landing is on the intercosatal water way, where my house was we had 5' of seawater in the house, huge pine trees were snapped off like tooth picks. If your area is on septic tanks the tanks overflowed sewage everywhere. We had no power for 2 months all the lines (poles snapped) to our area had to be replace. It was 6 months to rebuild before we could get back into our house. If you are in the path of Laura heed the evacuation orders get out now.

John park hopper

I've learned in a Cat 3, get the heck out of Dodge.
Exactly, when I worked for the National Marine Fisheries here in Charleston there is a laboratory in Miami Fl, after hurricane Andrew we went down to help out the employee of that lab. The damage was unbelievable in the Homestead area, cinderblock houses simple caved in. If you value your life leave

Lilofan

Exactly, when I worked for the National Marine Fisheries here in Charleston there is a laboratory in Miami Fl, after hurricane Andrew we went down to help out the employee of that lab. The damage was unbelievable in the Homestead area, cinderblock houses simple caved in. If you value your life leave
My friend lived in Homestead, lost everything that summer 1992, lived in a tent with others then couldn't take it anymore. He and his family then moved further North.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Cat 4 with up to 20ft in storm surge and the storm surge can go up to 30 miles inland. I wish everyone in that area the best and hope they have already evacuated.

JoeCamel

I'm on the west coast (FL) and don't really see anything to be concerned about, they are poorly organized and not likely to get much stronger.
With that said anything can change as it is not a certain forecast but after having been here 20 years I'm not stocking up on TP and water yet. Just keep an eye out for the one still in Africa, that is two weeks from now.
By the time that track bends north and it weakens from shear and dust it will be a rainstorm in the Carolinas.
And now the land comes into play. I would be amazed if it really blows up once it hits the gulf. The cat 1 guess is overkill imo but I do wear a scar from Gabrielle that came in as a TS and was upgraded to a hurricane some days later. Even the small ones have some risk.
Yeah, I think we get an umbrella out for this one in FL and look to Africa for the next one to watch. Sorry for the folks in the panhandle, ALA, MS and LA that have to deal with these over and over
Watching the satellite loops I just don't see Marco doing much. More like the Nature Coast with rain but New Orleans? It would have to take quite a turn from it's present direction.
Laura is being shredded by interaction with land for the next day or so and it will be weakened. Once both of these enter the gulf they might strengthen but I can't see anything major here.
I have been here in the west coast of Florida for 20 years and am not planning on taking any precautions beyond what I do at the start of every hurricane season.
I could be wrong, it happens
If you live in the Lake Charles area, now would be a great time to head to anywhere else.
Time for me to have a huge helping of crow.
May there be mercy on the souls of those impacted by Laura

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom