• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Stock Market Chatter

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah, I worry about that demand, I have a mother in law who is vaccinated but says "well I am still worried about variants of COVID". Things will bounce back, but people need to be realistic that it wont be quite what it was. Especially airline and hotel travel, which depends so much on business class travel. Companies are not holding those sales meetings and conventions right now, and some might skip it all together in the future.

Hopefully that means good deals on airlines/hotels in 2022.

Laketravis

Yeah, I worry about that demand, I have a mother in law who is vaccinated but says "well I am still worried about variants of COVID". Things will bounce back, but people need to be realistic that it wont be quite what it was. Especially airline and hotel travel, which depends so much on business class travel. Companies are not holding those sales meetings and conventions right now, and some might skip it all together in the future.

Such fears are usually short lived as society always reverts back to the mean.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Such fears are usually short lived as society always reverts back to the mean.
Society in terms travel for fun will. But the workplace? There are companies that are going to look at what they accomplished without 7K roundtrip flights, hotel expenses, convention fees etc, and the will say no reason we can't keep doing that if it helps their bottom line. Vacation travelers are still not going to pay 7k for a first class seat.

Laketravis

Society in terms travel for fun will. But the workplace? There are companies that are going to look at what they accomplished without 7K roundtrip flights, hotel expenses, convention fees etc, and the will say no reason we can't keep doing that if it helps their bottom line. Vacation travelers are still not going to pay 7k for a first class seat.

Even company culture experiences a reversion to mean when profits are flowing.

Laketravis

Google Flights. And why is 'looking' in quotes? Do you not believe I have eyes? Or that I'm actually looking?

Because you are "looking" at current rates for flights but what are you comparing them to? What airlines/routes/dates are you "looking" at?

I see rates that are higher than pre-Covid with longer flight times due to route consolidation and reduced non-stop offerings.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Because you are "looking" at current rates for flights but what are you comparing them to? What airlines/routes/dates are you "looking" at?

I see rates that are higher than pre-Covid with longer flight times due to route consolidation and reduced non-stop offerings.

I'm seeing flights RT from DFW-LAX for $80-120 when it was $200-300 a year ago.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster

Well, even if the rates are higher, that doesn't mean there is more demand, as you just said they have reduced routes and non stop offerings, if anything that is indicative of a lower demand.

Laketravis

Well, even if the rates are higher, that doesn't mean there is more demand, as you just said they have reduced routes and non stop offerings, if anything that is indicative of a lower demand.

That was a response to virtually no demand due to Covid. Rates plummeted until they reorganized flight and routes and then brought pricing back up. I'm seeing the opposite of what DisneyDays is seeing - flights that were $100-$125 pre-Covid are now $225-$280.

I've got to be somewhere else right now but I'll try to pull some hard data later. My point was that I don't anticipate seeing great deals on travel as pent up demand builds post-Covid. It's about as likely as the return of Free Dining at WDW.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
That was a response to virtually no demand due to Covid. Rates plummeted until they reorganized flight and routes and then brought pricing back up. I'm seeing the opposite of what DisneyDays is seeing - flights that were $100-$125 pre-Covid are now $225-$280.

I've got to be somewhere else right now but I'll try to pull some hard data later. My point was that I don't anticipate seeing great deals on travel as pent up demand builds post-Covid. It's about as likely as the return of Free Dining at WDW.
I think there will be hotel deals in some areas(vegas, major cities), not so in others, resort towns in the States, cabin rentals etc), and airtravel will have some deals to some places(hub cities) and harder for others.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

No, the response was you saying demand was high and that wasn't the case from what I was seeing. I never said there was virtually no demand.

I also just booked flights to LGB and to DEN for $49 on Southwest. I know those are quite a bit lower.

Last edited:

Laketravis

No, the response was you saying demand was high and that wasn't the case from what I was seeing. I never said there was virtually no demand.

I also just booked flights to LGB and to DEN for $49 on Southwest. I know those are quite a bit lower.

I see where the confusion is coming from. I originally said that "Big bets on pent up demand for later this year. In fact, 2021 GDP growth is expected to be 8-10% or more followed by another 5-7% in 2022. Some even believe those numbers to be conservative."

You said you hoped for some good deals in 2022 and I said demand is high (thinking in terms of future bookings into 2022). I wasn't speaking to current demand levels.

You better book your flights now - all indications are that prices are only going to go up from here.

Laketravis

I think there will be hotel deals in some areas(vegas, major cities), not so in others, resort towns in the States, cabin rentals etc), and airtravel will have some deals to some places(hub cities) and harder for others.

Another thing to consider is the tremendous amount of impulse purchases that were substitutions for recreational travel that Covid restrictions were responsible for hampering - boats, jet skis, RV's, travel trailers, etc. I think once conventional travel and destinations are restored, a lot of those Covid toys are going to flood the used market because there is an ongoing cost of ownership that may no longer be deemed necessary.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Another thing to consider is the tremendous amount of impulse purchases that were substitutions for recreational travel that Covid restrictions were responsible for hampering - boats, jet skis, RV's, travel trailers, etc. I think once conventional travel and destinations are restored, a lot of those Covid toys are going to flood the used market because there is an ongoing cost of ownership that may no longer be deemed necessary.
For sure. A travel trailer sounds fun, till you take it out and deal with hauling it.

Laketravis

For sure. A travel trailer sounds fun, till you take it out and deal with hauling it.

Exactly. And storing it, maintaining it, etc. Same with boats and jet skis. They get to be a hassle for many people after the first year or so. I've seen so many wakeboard boats show up at the marinas on a local lake during Covid, renting slips for $400 a month. That's on top of the $150K+ that they spent on the boat. Why did they do that? Because they couldn't go anywhere except the lake. Open things back up and wow, that's a lot of money we're spending on a boat.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I see where the confusion is coming from. I originally said that "Big bets on pent up demand for later this year. In fact, 2021 GDP growth is expected to be 8-10% or more followed by another 5-7% in 2022. Some even believe those numbers to be conservative."

You said you hoped for some good deals in 2022 and I said demand is high (thinking in terms of future bookings into 2022). I wasn't speaking to current demand levels.

You better book your flights now - all indications are that prices are only going to go up from here.

Well, I think the first confusion is that I was responding to what Club Cool was saying, not what you were saying. The second confusion is you said 'I'm afraid it doesn't since demand is turning out to be quite high.' The way you phrase that makes it seem like present tense, not future tense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom