• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Stock Market Chatter

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
This could be our most nonpartisan thread in this section(maybe it doesn't even really fit here), but I think it could be a fun spot for us all to give some suggestions or not on where we think markets are headed, and maybe a stock or two to check out. I took a look at my portfolio and am thinking it might be time to sell a few I bought at the dip that I have held onto, like Norwegian Cruise and MGM. Also thinking maybe time to sell TESLA. Anyone else have thoughts, or something you are excited about?

MinnieM123

This could be our most nonpartisan thread in this section(maybe it doesn't even really fit here), but I think it could be a fun spot for us all to give some suggestions or not on where we think markets are headed, and maybe a stock or two to check out. I took a look at my portfolio and am thinking it might be time to sell a few I bought at the dip that I have held onto, like Norwegian Cruise and MGM. Also thinking maybe time to sell TESLA. Anyone else have thoughts, or something you are excited about?

S&P had a 500 record close, at the 4:00 bell a few minutes ago.

Lilofan

I've been a tried and true investor in equities, mainly diversified mutual funds. I had maxed out 401K for many years in addition to buying monthly into the markets regardless of market conditions. Its a mindset and a lot of strong willpower when to sell and trying to avoid getting into the trap of panic selling. I'm confident Wall Street will react in a good way to the Biden presidency. A war which I hope will not happen would send the markets and many jobs into turmoil.

Lilofan

The markets I think will continue to react positively in regards to the covid vaccine and incoming Biden presidency. The Dow and Nasdaq are at record levels. I have been a long term investor and I have benefited very nicely. There are millions of dollars of cash sitting on the sidelines with anxious investors waiting to get in. There is no right time. The right time was yesterday and one needs a long term outlook and monthly dollar cost averaging investing . I'm glad when I was much younger I acted like a sponge listening and studying up on the stock markets and getting in.

"El Scorpion"

Duke of Sealand
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I've got a about a dozen positions right now. FWIW I think the markets are overextended but that's an ETF play. So with all the "trading/investing has risk blah, blah, blah...and nobody should make any type of transaction based on what an anonymous poster says on a Disney Forum". Here are three I got going right now and why.

BTC (Long) - Broke trend and established pivot and confirmed first Elliott Wave at 12462. That was entry. It's extremely close to a double top so I've adjusted stop to 16299. I'm letting this one ride so no confirmed target exit quite yet. Just moving stops based on resistance.

REGN (Short) - Broke uptrend and established pivot and confirmed Elliott at 542.71 - That was entry. Have since adjusted stop to 501.5 and have a target TP at 446

EUR/USD spot - Broke trend and established pivot and confirmed Elliott at 1.1431. That was entry. Looks like it's getting ready for Wave 2 of Elliott. Moved stop to 1.1606 with target TP at 1.2395

The Mom

Premium Member
My husband and I are retired, so not being able to work does not have an impact on us. Not being able to travel does. Because we are not spending money on travel, I am able to donate much more to charity than usual - especially to local agencies such as food banks and services that help people pay for rent, utilities, etc.

Our retirement portfolio - despite some earlier bumps - has guaranteed that we will have more income next year than this one - thanks to RMD. And since we will not be comfortable with traveling internationally - we usually go on river or small ship coastal cruises - we will again be in a position to give extra to those in need.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Did anyone here buy Bitcoin at any point (perhaps you are taking a moment from having some Cristal on the beach and swimming at your private beach)?

Mr Bill

A boss at a job I had about a decade ago got a card from some trade show that was worth like 25 bitcoins. We treated it as a funny joke at the time because Bitcoin was worth about $0.10 at the time.

Should've taken that card with me when I got laid off...

The Mom

Premium Member
Did anyone here buy Bitcoin at any point (perhaps you are taking a moment from having some Cristal on the beach and swimming at your private beach)?
I know of (but not particularly well) some people who purchased them a few years ago, but I don't know if they hung on to them when the price started to drop.

That's the problem with playing a short, latest thing strategy versus slow and steady. We have a friend who enjoys playing the market, and will tell us about a "good" stock. He, however, only shares his successes with us - never talks about his loses.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I know of (but not particularly well) some people who purchased them a few years ago, but I don't know if they hung on to them when the price started to drop.

That's the problem with playing a short, latest thing strategy versus slow and steady. We have a friend who enjoys playing the market, and will tell us about a "good" stock. He, however, only shares his successes with us - never talks about his loses.
Isn't that the truth. I had a family friend who lost their house, he never said how, but his son said it was bad stock buys. I didn't believe he could possibly go into debt over playing the market, but if you read the stock forums, it makes more sense.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

I've followed it and kicked myself a lot for not buying it earlier. But I think this is another situation of investors pumping the market, getting the price high, and then they sell out when it's at the top, causing it to crash.

The Mom

Premium Member
Isn't that the truth. I had a family friend who lost their house, he never said how, but his son said it was bad stock buys. I didn't believe he could possibly go into debt over playing the market, but if you read the stock forums, it makes more sense.
I think our friend is doing OK - his "wins" balance his "losses" and he had a lot more to play with, especially after his parents (who were millionaires back in the 60s - when it wasn't as common as now,and a million went a lot further) passed. He is also extremely frugal! Not cheap, but frugal - he doesn't spend money to pay someone to do something he can do himself - even if he can't do it quite as well.

milordsloth

Thanks to the advice of a friend, I bought half a bitcoin back around Christmas 2018 when the cost was about $3,600 per coin. I'm still holding it and definitely wish I put more into it. However, it is hard for me to rationalize investing any significant amount into something I don't understand at all.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Thanks to the advice of a friend, I bought half a bitcoin back around Christmas 2018 when the cost was about $3,600 per coin. I'm still holding it and definitely wish I put more into it. However, it is hard for me to rationalize investing any significant amount into something I don't understand at all.
I don't even understand how they are used, so right with you.

Lilofan

I probably sound like a broken record, but I'll chime in with a recommendation for a portfolio of low-cost index funds with an asset allocation appropriate to your risk tolerance. Saving for retirement is serious business.
Saving for retirement should be taught in schools but sadly it is not. We are a slaves to debt economy that also fuels our economy .

Mr Bill

I probably sound like a broken record, but I'll chime in with a recommendation for a portfolio of low-cost index funds with an asset allocation appropriate to your risk tolerance. Saving for retirement is serious business.
I've got my 401/IRA entirely in the Vanguard Total Stock Market fund. Retirement is still a couple decades away, and for me having bonds in the portfolio is just going to hurt my long-term gains in favor of lower volatility in the shorter-term. I'll shift the allocation in like 15 years or so when retirement is closer.

Lilofan

I've got my 401/IRA entirely in the Vanguard Total Stock Market fund. Retirement is still a couple decades away, and for me having bonds in the portfolio is just going to hurt my long-term gains in favor of lower volatility in the shorter-term. I'll shift the allocation in like 15 years or so when retirement is closer.
Word of advice, prolong decisions is the worst mistake you can make. Do it now, diversify into different categories - small cap, mid cap, large cap, emerging markets . You wait 15 more years than you have the potential to miss out on gains. Retirement doesn't need to be decades away. Think and practice to get to FIRE ( Financially Independent Retire Early )

Last edited:

Laketravis

It honestly does not need to be any more complicated than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom