Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Rodan75

That makes sense. I probably shouldn't have taken it as replacement proposals but instead something to drive guests to them. But we all saw how Under New Management worked for the Tiki Room. LOL

Which was my point, they have to figure out ways to drive more crowds to these attractions or replace them with similar people eaters that can draw in crowds, without ing off long time fans. They failed pretty horribly the last time they tried that with Under New Management.

High Capacity attractions that don't utilize their capacity are a problem because they chew up resources that could go to other things, including completely new attractions.

Disney has really perfected the way they leverage nostalgia, if they can do that with movies and TV, they can do that with some of these older under-utilized attractions.

I hope they never convert it from steam. That's what makes her special. From what I've heard, they invested in a new boiler (according to some CMs on the LB) and are installing it next year.

It would be very expensive to fill in ROA and demolish TSI. Plus, if the CMs are correct that they already have another boiler for the steam boat, then she's going nowhere. Also the revenue from the ice cream party helps because it helps cover the cost of maintaining the steamboat.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Glad to hear that they're still willing to invest in the boats.

Re: Space Mountain

I'm aware the track won't be rebuilt anytime soon but has TDO brought on consultants from S&S, Vekoma or B&M to see if they could replace the the space sleds? I understand the current track will never be as smooth as a modern B&M or Vekoma coaster (although it has to be said it's already much smoother than most of the corkscrews Arrow built in the 70s that are still operating) but surely modern sleds with spring-loaded upstop and guide wheels would make the ride much smoother.

I've also been meaning to ask this for a little while: how exactly do they transmit audio into the cars on all the other versions of SM? Is all the audio equipment mounted into the cars or is there some sort of RF transmitter hidden below the tracks?

rct247

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Glad to hear that they're still willing to invest in the boats.

Re: Space Mountain

I'm aware the track won't be rebuilt anytime soon but has TDO brought on consultants from S&S, Vekoma or B&M to see if they could replace the the space sleds? I understand the current track will never be as smooth as a modern B&M or Vekoma coaster (although it has to be said it's already much smoother than most of the corkscrews Arrow built in the 70s that are still operating) but surely modern sleds with spring-loaded upstop and guide wheels would make the ride much smoother.

I've also been meaning to ask this for a little while: how exactly do they transmit audio into the cars on all the other versions of SM? Is all the audio equipment mounted into the cars or is there some sort of RF transmitter hidden below the tracks?

New trains won't happen at Space Mountain due to weight and size clearance. Most new trains would be heavier or bigger. The current track wouldn't be able to carry it and the stations may not have the clearance for a wider vehicle. Most on board audio has an on board computer that travels in the train or attached at the back. We couldn't get this due to the extra weight and redesign of the ride vehicles for it to work.

New trains won't happen at Space Mountain due to weight and size clearance. Most new trains would be heavier or bigger. The current track wouldn't be able to carry it and the stations may not have the clearance for a wider vehicle.

Isn't the opposite generally true though? I recall reading some marketing material from B&M stating that the trains they built for Steel Dragon 2000 were lighter than the original trains Morgan built for the ride and I know that TDO bought new boats for Pirates a couple of years ago that were lighter than the older fiberglass ones. Were the new sleds for the Matterhorn at DL heavier than the 1978 sleds?

Most on board audio has an on board computer that travels in the train or attached at the back.

Interesting. So how did they fit the necessary components into the vehicles at DL? Is there a small computer and a battery bank stuck beneath the rear seats? Do they have to plug in the vehicles every evening or are they charged through induction?

WDWTank

Which was my point, they have to figure out ways to drive more crowds to these attractions or replace them with similar people eaters that can draw in crowds, without ****ing off long time fans. They failed pretty horribly the last time they tried that with Under New Management.

High Capacity attractions that don't utilize their capacity are a problem because they chew up resources that could go to other things, including completely new attractions.

Disney has really perfected the way they leverage nostalgia, if they can do that with movies and TV, they can do that with some of these older under-utilized attractions.
I think Disney should consider making more from-the-ground-up style attractions with a high capacity. How about the old Fire Mountain attraction proposal? Squeeze it in-between Pirates and Jungle Cruise, and the queue would wind further wind down to the volcano itself. The volcano shouldn't be too tall, let's say, about 100 feet sounds about right, or else it would be seen from Main Street. The Mountain would be built slightly outside the park borders, next to the Seven Seas Lagoon. Because of this, it would make a nice view from the Polynesian Village Resort. :)

Mike S

Yep. There are proposals to do just that.
Leave the CoP, take the Treehouse.
Replacing Tiki Room, the Treehouse and Country Bears should be so incredibly low on the priority list. Expand first. I know proposals don't mean this is happening anytime in the near future but it's interesting what they view as a "problem". Not everything needs to be a ride or a thrill ride. But I also know they look at these attractions differently than I do.
Not to mention what do you do with such small spaces? M&Gs?
I took the comment from @marni1971 to mean that there are proposals to update the attractions, not necessary kill (replace) them. He's already said that CoP is going to get some love.

I also get the sense that Disney takes its guest satisfaction surveys very seriously (as much as we make fun of them) since there's been comments on certain attractions getting low ratings which is why they are being considered for replacements. SGE being one example and I think Energy was another. So, as long as the Tikis and Country Bears, etc. rate well with guests, they should be safe. Hopefully.
Tower of Terror rates well with guests and yet...
Which was my point, they have to figure out ways to drive more crowds to these attractions or replace them with similar people eaters that can draw in crowds, without ****ing off long time fans. They failed pretty horribly the last time they tried that with Under New Management.

Bring back seasonal shows to the Country Bears. Done and done.

Not to mention what do you do with such small spaces? M&Gs?

More retail space obviously! (/s)

Seriously though, the area between the river/canal/whatever that borders Treehouse and the Jungle Cruise maintenance shed is pretty big. There would probably be enough room to build something like a decently sized omnimover ride in that area if they were willing to fill in the waterways.

Last edited:

Kman101

Didn't one of our insiders hint or tease that there was a possibility of the Country Bears getting their Christmas overlay back? I don't think the show's hurting THAT much, but for a park that runs a Christmas party this seems like a no-brainer to draw guests in. If they can switch over Jingle Cruise there's no excuse for not doing it to other attractions.

I know Tokyo still seems to do both the Vacation and Christmas versions.

jt04

Where would they fit IASW into World Showcase? (I agree with you) COP and SM would fit into future world.

Reimagine it as Geppetto' s workshop and put it in Italy with new music etc. Drop the IaSW theme for Pinochio and just have it be puppets from different lands. IaSW can live on at DL.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I would think those attractions are also relatively cheap to maintain and operate. They are basically just shows with a few AAs in each that need to be maintained but outside of COP there aren't any other moving parts. They don't take a lot of CMs to operate either. In other words they don't really chew up resources because they are cheap to operate and maintain. Unless you consider land or building space a resource but Disney has plenty to work with without eliminating or changing those attractions.

I can understand why they are taking a hard look at investing in a ride like Universe of Energy which doesn't always play to capacity. That ride needs a lot of work beyond just cosmetic touch ups and it may not be worth spending the cash to update it when it plays to half filled shows on a regular basis. Unless there are issues with the rotating theater at COP, the rest of the work needed is mostly cosmetic and shouldn't cost much to do. These types of upgrades should be the low hanging fruit they should be banging out on a regular basis.

brb1006

Didn't one of our insiders hint or tease that there was a possibility of the Country Bears getting their Christmas overlay back? I don't think the show's hurting THAT much, but for a park that runs a Christmas party this seems like a no-brainer to draw guests in. If they can switch over Jingle Cruise there's no excuse for not doing it to other attractions.

I know Tokyo still seems to do both the Vacation and Christmas versions.
They even have a Christmas overlay for there electrical parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom