• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement for 50th

ACTUALLY, I think our version of Space Mountain really is the superior version...It just needs the sound upgrade and new show scenes... The ride itself (though a little rougher now) is a much superior attraction.
You're going against the wdwmagic consensus with this opinion, but having ridden both fairly recently I definitely agree with you. The MK version is more thrilling, but lacking all of the bells and whistles of DL.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Advertisement
Do you mean someone who will cave into Guest Demands and put in a reduced DLR attraction while shelving a Brilliant Multi-Faceted E-Ticket?
He didn't just shelve WRE. Remember the duel BTM and WRE hybrid?

The oil crisis and a pop culture for Space (and an incomplete Tomorrowland) were as much to blame if not more so.

Bocabear

You're going against the wdwmagic consensus with this opinion, but having ridden both fairly recently I definitely agree with you. The MK version is more thrilling, but lacking all of the bells and whistles of DL.
In it's original incarnation with the then new Home Of Future Living, all the exhibits in the queue working properly,properly synced audio tracks, and the brigher more visible star ceiling, it was really groundbreaking.. Why they never gave this ride the love it needs is beyond me...Dual tracked for higher capacity, it is already a bigger version...thye just need to create an all new exit setting... Bring back something as engaging as the Home Of Future Living but updated...and not just a retread of the old RYCA1: Dream Of A New World. Add new digital effects and show scenes thruout the ride and really make it the show piece it once was... And finally... Add show scenes and settings specifically designed to be seen by the Peoplemover... That is the most ridiculous thing of all.

Slowjack

He didn't just shelve WRE. Remember the duel BTM and WRE hybrid?

The oil crisis and a pop culture for Space (and an incomplete Tomorrowland) were as much to blame if not more so.
To be fair, WRE was always part of the Thunder Mesa concept, which included an outdoor flume-ish ride as well, so it would have been a triple: WRE, STM, and Splash. But in that case we wouldn't have gotten WDW's PotC (presumably). So total ride count unchanged. One can argue whether WRE would have been better than PotC, but I think the larger loss is the interplay of all three attractions.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
To be fair, WRE was always part of the Thunder Mesa concept..
Not exactly. When BTM was approved there was a hybrid of BTM plus WRE, minus the Thunder Mesa trails and flume ride.

Plus the fully fledged Thunder Messa design would have encroached on the current Splash area.

And I doubt they'd have two flume style rides side by side (a personal observation there)

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

I'm somewhat surprised that they would consider axing the Steamboats before the Tomorrowland Smogway. Anyhow, do you happen to know if they've ever considered converting the boats to diesel-hydraulic or diesel-electric propulsion to save on fuel and maintenance?
I hope they never convert it from steam. That's what makes her special. From what I've heard, they invested in a new boiler (according to some CMs on the LB) and are installing it next year.

It would be very expensive to fill in ROA and demolish TSI. Plus, if the CMs are correct that they already have another boiler for the steam boat, then she's going nowhere. Also the revenue from the ice cream party helps because it helps cover the cost of maintaining the steamboat.

RSoxNo1

I disagree that attractions should be relocated. I just think it's a waste of money. Besides, IASW doesn't fit as it feels too cartoony and kid like for Epcot.

If I got the chance to "fix" MK, I would do this:

*add a modern WRE with Shangai Pirates tech between Splash Mountain and Pirates
*add Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye in between Swiss Fam and Main Street by bridging the little creek.
*redo of SpectroMagic with Paint The Night technology
*update Wishes
*refurb the following attractions and plus them: SM, Peter Pan, CBJ, BTMRR, and the Liberty Belle. Of course returns should be done for every attraction.

If I could add sonething to TL, it would be behind the raceway. Probably a 20k under the sea attraction like in Disney Sea. It fits the Jules Verne feel. Plus, a great opportunity arises to add a sea food priority Captain Neemo table service restraunt.
I understand the perception that relocating attractions is too costly. There's some truth to that but not as much as you'd think. With Space Mountain there isn't much related to the track itself that should be retained at this point. With it's a small world that would be a bit of an undertaking and it would likely require a new ride system in the new facility (which as far as I know it doesn't need). With Carousel of Progress, we've heard rumors on here (and admittedly they are just rumors) that it does need a significant investment to "repair" and it may be more beneficial to build a new one from scratch.

As for it's a small world's placement. You can argue the cartoon aspect, but I don't buy that. More importantly, think about the message of the attraction. It's celebrating the children of the world and was done so in a World's Fair pavilion. It is literally the perfect attraction ever conceived by Disney to bridge the permanent World's Fair of Future World with the celebration of cultures around the world in World Showcase.

To your other points:
  • I'd love another Pirates attraction based on the movies, especially if it allowed the original to revert back to an updated version of the pre-Jack Sparrow days.
  • Indiana Jones Adventure is an awesome ride and I'd welcome that too, but could also see that in DHS.
  • I'd put Space Mountain and Peter Pan on my list of must refurbs (assuming we're not relocating the former).

RSoxNo1

Space Mountain still throws me for a loop. There's plenty of expansion space in Tomorrowland without removing it or CoP but I've pondered the idea of that sharing a space with a new Horizons in Epcot as well. It's also a MK original that was here before any other version.

I'd love Sleepy Hollow.
The reason to move Space for me would be having it as part of a larger scale Space area in Future World. By that logic, Astro Orbiter could also be relocated. This also allows for an IP based attraction/coaster such as Tron to take it's place. Space Mountain has name recognition that's on par with many of the IPs that Disney is insistent upon using. It's a way to add something with name recognition to Epcot without it being IP driven.

Also, a Sleepy Hollow attraction would be a great transition between Liberty Square and Fantasyland (as was originally conceived), but at this point I assume there is minimal demand there. What it does is call to a greater argument I've been making in that Disney should look to the area the attraction would be placed first, and then fit the concept to the area. Sleepy Hollow would take that approach. I could also see this as a spot for an original concept that would also bridge that area.