Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

OSX

So do you suggest making everything look moldy and aged so it won't show it if all maintenance ends?
The whole point of the Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a land of fantasy... not a land of ruined dreams and distressed finishes on everything including the parts of the park that are supposed to be a brilliant utopian future...
Magic Kingdom is a stroll back in time to the turn of the century, a courtyard of fantasy, a treacherous frontier into the heart of adventure, a place of laughter and billy goats atop mountain ranges, as well as a place of science fiction. MK is a lot of things, don't just mistake it for a "land of fantasy". The vision of rebuilding a future by coming together and working in harmony can be a great tune for Tomorrowland to sing. Yes, it's dystopian, but if they instill a message of teamwork and unity, Tomorrowland (while might not look visually appealing) will be so much more intriguing.

Bocabear

Magic Kingdom is a stroll back in time to the turn of the century, a courtyard of fantasy, a treacherous frontier into the heart of adventure, a place of laughter and billy goats atop mountain ranges, as well as a place of science fiction. MK is a lot of things, don't just mistake it for a "land of fantasy". The vision of rebuilding a future by coming together and working in harmony can be a great tune for Tomorrowland to sing. Yes, it's dystopian, but if they instill a message of teamwork and unity, Tomorrowland (while might not look visually appealing) will be so much more intriguing.
I am not understanding what you are saying at all... so a run down, non fantasy version of Tomorrowland with a message of work and unity is what you are advocating? It sounds like China...

Epcot82Guy

I think the romanticized "future that never was" idea is the best for tomorrowland. The "future" problem has always applied to that area. I am one of the few that thinks the overall land story is solid in TL (not necessarily what they have put in). The Discoveryland version at DLP also works. I think a retro-forward future fits the overall theme of MK the best.

Tron will look highly dated in the not too distant future. And anything "contemporary" will do the same. I think retro-future is the best way to go (though no signs are saying that is what will happen).

wdwgreek

I think the romanticized "future that never was" idea is the best for tomorrowland. The "future" problem has always applied to that area. I am one of the few that thinks the overall land story is solid in TL (not necessarily what they have put in). The Discoveryland version at DLP also works. I think a retro-forward future fits the overall theme of MK the best.

Tron will look highly dated in the not too distant future. And anything "contemporary" will do the same. I think retro-future is the best way to go (though no signs are saying that is what will happen).
The scifi city of the future is an excellent ascetic if only it was properly maintained and cared for without stuffing in jarring IP connections.

hauntology

So many people love retrofuturism already (look up my username as a philosophical ideal by Mark Fisher) that they just need to stick with the most aesthetically pleasing "retrofuture" that will hold up for years to come as being some kind of "timeless" retro future. Oxymoronic in a way. Certain design movements are inherently timeless because of their success and ability to be put in place. Tomorrowland needs a whole overhaul, but the fix is def. possible.

tirian

I agree. In ‘94, WDI opened one of the best TL areas with the MK’s Buck Rogers-style. The original “Future That Never Was” — with Space Mt, TTA, Astro Orbiter, the Timekeeper, and Alien Encounter — was one of the strongest concepts in WDI’s portfolio. In addition to those, the land had DreamFlight (soon to be Buzz), the Carousel of Progress, the Speedway, a jam-packed arcade, and a theater that regularly featured live stage entertainment! And in the 90s, Cosmic Ray’s frequently used its floor stage for small bands. This was one of the most complete lands Disney ever built in the States.

If only WDI had completed the Buck Rogers theming beyond the Astro Orbiter! Then we might still have the retro sci-fi beauty of TL ‘94.

I enjoy the classic aesthetic of old-school white TL, but IMO TL ‘94 was a more successful style.

hauntology

I agree. In ‘94, WDI opened one of the best TL areas with the MK’s Buck Rogers-style. The original “Future That Never Was” — with Space Mt, TTA, Astro Orbiter, the Timekeeper, and Alien Encounter — was one of the strongest concepts in WDI’s portfolio. In addition to those, the land had DreamFlight (soon to be Buzz), the Carousel of Progress, the Speedway, a jam-packed arcade, and a theater that regularly featured live stage entertainment! And in the 90s, Cosmic Ray’s frequently used its floor stage for small bands. This was one of the most complete lands Disney ever built in the States.

If only WDI had completed the Buck Rogers theming beyond the Astro Orbiter! Then we might still have the retro sci-fi beauty of TL ‘94.

I enjoy the classic aesthetic of old-school white TL, but IMO TL ‘94 was a more successful style.

I think what made 94 Tomorrowland so successful is the cohesive story/"sci fi city" ala Eddie Soto (was he the imagineer in charge?)

It was so thoroughly convincing to me as a kid; I would see the posters along the queue for The Timekeeper for conventions in space and wondered why I couldn't go.

hauntology

I know Eddie Sotto worked in the never-built Tokyo Sci-fi city concept, but not sure if he was involved in the '94 WDW one

I think the Sci-Fi City concept was loosely applied to MK Tomorrowland but maybe that's why I thought he had worked on it a bit. You know, because there were "convention centers" and such

TrainsOfDisney

I liked the idea of the 1994 Tomorrowland as well. Would have been really cool if they could have made dreamflight into a “horizons light” showing how life is and all. Would be a bit more cartoon / fictional than the actual horizons.... but could have used that same idea.

lazyboy97o

I think what made 94 Tomorrowland so successful is the cohesive story/"sci fi city" ala Eddie Soto (was he the imagineer in charge?)

It was so thoroughly convincing to me as a kid; I would see the posters along the queue for The Timekeeper for conventions in space and wondered why I couldn't go.
I know Eddie Sotto worked in the never-built Tokyo Sci-fi city concept, but not sure if he was involved in the '94 WDW one
Paul Osterhout was the show producer for Tomorrowland 94.

MrPromey

IDK, the shortest/smallest of the omnimovers might be to big, but Peter Pan's ride system (overhead style) actually uses a smaller space than stitch does from the diagrams I have. It is almost the same size space as Pooh although shaped very differently.

One of the reasons for Pan's high wait times is relatively low capacity, though. I'm not sure something of that scale is something WDW would want to consider.

Although a longer - or better yet - separate loading/unloading ramps eqivelant to twice the length of the single Pan ramp would dramatically improve things.

It's an interesting idea!

Last edited:

jt04

50s/60s space age aesthetic is now iconic and timeless imo. And in no small way thanks to Walt and company.

This is a good choice for Tomorrowland.

And perhaps classic steampunk might get utilized elsewhere eventually. 🚂

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

One of the reasons for Pan's high wait times is relatively low capacity, though. I'm not sure something of that scale is something WDW would want to consider.

Although a longer - or better yet - separate loading/unloading ramps eqivelant to twice the length of the single Pan ramp would dramatically improve things.

It's an interesting idea!
Low capacity and location. I believe it's capacity is better than Winnie the Pooh, but not positive (I have around 1100-1200 for Pan and Pooh in the 700-800 range)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom