Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I had someone next to me on flight of passage grab my arm just before it started - people have no idea what half of Disney has and I absolutely love their reactions every time.

That's a big reach, too.

I don't trust this solid, immovable steel handlebar I'm currently holding onto. Let me reach two feet to my side and grab an arm!!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

geekza

posted this awhile back on imagineering after not being able to sleep one night: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/alien-encounter-revamp-idea.932548/#post-7889259

would love to see the two theaters utilized for two unique experiences over the same thing in both! there’s definitely an audience for an alien encounter type of attraction as seen from this thread but i can’t see it happening:/
Hey, they do it for Mission: Space, so why not for the space in Tomorrowland? The only issue I can see is that one will likely be infinitely more popular than the other, leading to one theater not swallowing crowds like Disney would want it to do. In that instance, I suppose they could just refurbish the under-performing show and leave the popular one going.

Kman101

3 Caballeros actually has a plot and things actually happen. NRJ is basically Atmosphere: The Ride...the entire ride feels like the build up to the actual beginning of a proper ride, then it's over.

It's like going on Splash Mountain and having it end after the first scene.

While 3 Cabs has a plot, I suppose, It's not exactly a brilliant execution. Where's Donald? That's a storyline?

We used to be able to do things without having to be beaten over the head with a back story and a story about what you're doing. I'm not saying NRJ couldn't/shouldn't have been longer but I don't agree it needs a plot.

Isn't the storyline you go down the river and visit the Shaman of Songs? Why does it need to be full of action? We don't seem to be able to appreciate quiet attractions.

They did a beautiful job.

Bocabear

While 3 Cabs has a plot, I suppose, It's not exactly a brilliant execution. Where's Donald? That's a storyline?

We used to be able to do things without having to be beaten over the head with a back story and a story about what you're doing. I'm not saying NRJ couldn't/shouldn't have been longer but I don't agree it needs a plot.

Isn't the storyline you go down the river and visit the Shaman of Songs? Why does it need to be full of action? We don't seem to be able to appreciate quiet attractions.

I don't even think it is clear you are going downriver to mee the Shaman of Songs... it is not clear what she is... Someone singing... a great AA.... While it does not need an elaborate plot, it needs a little more than we are given... Some sort of sens of dynamic instead of just a lot of the same... It is very pretty, but leaves you wanting more...it feels incomplete...

Rodan75

I agree. I just wish it was 2-4 minutes longer. Maybe more of the Na'vi gathering for the Shaman or other animals playing. I feel like I'm just getting zen, and it is all over.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I don't even think it is clear you are going downriver to mee the Shaman of Songs... it is not clear what she is... Someone singing... a great AA.... While it does not need an elaborate plot, it needs a little more than we are given... Some sort of sens of dynamic instead of just a lot of the same... It is very pretty, but leaves you wanting more...it feels incomplete...

FWIW; The Shaman of Songs is not canon to the movie and as such we can neither relate to her nor really understand what she's doing within the attraction. She's not established early on in the ride so when we see her at the end of the attraction we're left amazed (at the tech) but bewildered more than bewitched. The ride also lacks, for lack of a better word, scene variety and contrast. Halfway through the attraction you're greeted by more glowing flora. The lack of linear progression is also apparent (the point A to B analogy I mentioned in a previous thread) Story = None. The Shaman itself could be replaced with a giant plant and the experience would be for all intents and purposes, the same. The ride has no finale just something somewhat different for us to look at before disembarking. NRJ fails on multiple levels, IMO.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
FWIW; The Shaman of Songs is not canon to the movie and as such we can neither relate to her nor really understand what she's doing within the attraction. She's not established early on in the ride so when we see her at the end of the attraction we're left amazed (at the tech) but bewildered more than bewitched. The ride also lacks, for lack of a better word, scene variety and contrast. Halfway through the attraction you're greeted by more glowly flora. The lack of linear progression is also apparent (the point A to B analogy I mentioned in a previous thread) Story = None. The Shaman itself could be replaced with a giant plant and the experience would be for all intents and purposes, the same. The ride has no finale just something somewhat different for use to look at before disembarking. NRJ fails on multiple levels, IMO.

There's a lot in Pandora that is not canon to the movie that came out because the land is 50 years after Avatar 5. Bases on Avatar 1, you can't just plug into an avatar within a few minutes of showing up. That makes FoP non-canon. And the drums non-canon. And humans breathing the atmosphere non-canon.

But given that James Cameron put his seal of approval on everything, it is indeed canon. Avatar 2-5 won't contradict Pandora.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
There's a lot in Pandora that is not canon to the movie that came out because the land is 50 years after Avatar 5. Bases on Avatar 1, you can't just plug into an avatar within a few minutes of showing up. That makes FoP non-canon. And the drums non-canon. And humans breathing the atmosphere non-canon.

But given that James Cameron put his seal of approval on everything, it is indeed canon. Avatar 2-5 won't contradict Pandora.

I get that. I mean to say that I really don't know who this Shaman of Songs is in the grand scheme of things. Essentially, why I should care if I see her or not at the end of this boat ride. If canon, guests would be more invested in the ride and her specifically. The non-story meander through the river and seeing her as the finale means little to me. But boy are those plants a-glowing! I would hope she does make an appearance in the later films if only to justify her inclusion on the ride. Currently though, she's about as relevant as an inanimate prop. Nice to look at but doesn't contribute much to the story.

IMO, a waste of money 'though a really nice looking AA. *Imagine if that $$$ went toward improving the ride's story, scenes or duration.

Last edited:

Kman101

I agree. I just wish it was 2-4 minutes longer. Maybe more of the Na'vi gathering for the Shaman or other animals playing. I feel like I'm just getting zen, and it is all over.

I agree with you completely lol. You're just getting into the mood and it ends. It definitely needs to be longer.

I know for many the story isn't exciting. There's no thrills, no drops, no "Where's The Shaman?" on repeat but it's not really a bad ride. It's just lacking a bit.

FigmentForver96

I agree with you completely lol. You're just getting into the mood and it ends. It definitely needs to be longer.

I know for many the story isn't exciting. There's no thrills, no drops, no "Where's The Shaman?" on repeat but it's not really a bad ride. It's just lacking a bit.
I don't know why it needs an elaborate back story as it accomplishes what it sets out to do. I don't think anyone would deny it's short but what it lacks in length I believe it makes up for in charm and beauty. The entire land is around this idea we are visitors to their world. We are seeing the planet and discovering the world naturally. Like how when one visits a city, the people who live there carry on their daily lives. This is what the Shaman and the ride is about. Seeing things as they are presented naturally on the planet. The exception being the banshee link but even as we ride our banshees the people of the planet go on with daily life.

It is these subtle things that tie into the overall theme of Animal Kingdom. Harmony, tranquility, balance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom