Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

EricsBiscuit

I think every scene of CoP should be replaced/updated or completely replace CoP. What made it great in 1964 was the nostalgia of "oh yeah, I had to put my wash on the line" and "I had to keep a bucket ready to prime the water pump" etc. Now we need "oh yeah I had to drive and rent a VHS" etc. If they did that you know the numbers would skyrocket because it would play on nostalgia like the original show and then people could really relate to the theme of progress.

Goob

What's the incentive for Disney to spend a bunch of money on CoP and other rides of its ilk? People aren't not coming to the Magic Kingdom because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing more than them keep all the attractions cutting edge.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

What's the incentive for Disney to spend a bunch of money on CoP and other rides of its ilk? People aren't not coming to the Magic Kingdom because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing more than them keep all the attractions cutting edge.
To give guests the full experience? It's not all about the entree; people like their well-complementing side dishes as well. Also, preventative maintenance can save $ later.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Precisely because MK is so popular, WDW has been incentivizing people to not all show up at peak times and to spread the crowd to off-peak times. But since tickets aren't linked to specific days in order to limit attendance, there are few tools to make that happen. One of the tools they are using is increasing the price while, at the same time, giving discounts (mainly for housing) for off-peak times.

But, if they're increasing the price, then guest expectations will soar. Old rides that have 'issues' can't stay. A middle class family paying $60 for each member may overlook some things, but one paying $120 for each member won't.

UpAllNight

A proportion of people will visit the attraction because it's something to do that never really has a queue...that can be a rarity at Magic Kingdom. That in itself shouldn't be judged as popularity. I did rather enjoy it though, but then I appreciate the history behind it.

Tavernacle12

Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree, PeopleMover, Tom Sawyer Island, CoP, Liberty Belle, etc, are bastions of sanity in the park. They may not be everyone's favorite, but their a part of the fabric of the place, and escaping the crowds to take in a show or ride through them makes a day at MK better than being stuck in crowds and heat all day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree, PeopleMover, Tom Sawyer Island, CoP, Liberty Belle, etc, are bastions of sanity in the park. They may not be everyone's favorite, but their a part of the fabric of the place, and escaping the crowds to take in a show or ride through them makes a day at MK better than being stuck in crowds and heat all day.
This is true. I would add Philharmagic and the Railroad to that list too. These types of attractions fill out the day. You have FP for the really popular stuff but it's nice to have other attractions with next to no wait that you can spontaneously visit.

tl77

Is there really something big coming to Tomorroland? Becasue if they moved, or removed, the Speedway, they could add a lot of stuff to both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland ...personally I'd rather see new fully themed out version of The Tomorrowland Speedway, on a landscape of those new, metallic blue rocks they added to the entrance of Tomorrowland
NFL2-Tomorrowland7.jpg

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Is there really something big coming to Tomorroland? Becasue if they moved, or removed, the Speedway, they could add a lot of stuff to both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland ...personally I'd rather see new fully themed out version of The Tomorrowland Speedway, on a landscape of those new, metallic blue rocks they added to the entrance of Tomorrowland
NFL2-Tomorrowland7.jpg
You want a new speedway?

HMF

I think every scene of CoP should be replaced/updated or completely replace CoP. What made it great in 1964 was the nostalgia of "oh yeah, I had to put my wash on the line" and "I had to keep a bucket ready to prime the water pump" etc. Now we need "oh yeah I had to drive and rent a VHS" etc. If they did that you know the numbers would skyrocket because it would play on nostalgia like the original show and then people could really relate to the theme of progress.
My personal proposal would set the finale specifically on December 31st 1999/January 1st 2000. The other three acts would be re-written to more closely reflect the 64 version with some minor cuts to make it 21st Century friendly .

Herbie

The numbers are quite healthy.

A new sign and paintwork did wonders.

But what of his idea? Do you revert it back to it's original version or do you try to update the final scene as they have (which has resulted in a weak mish-mash of time periods)? Or do they, similar to his idea, update each scene to spiritually represent what the Carousel of Progress was originally about, although set in contemporary times? I'm not usually a "make things new for a contemporary audience" kind of person, but... *hides*.. I do think it's what Walt would've done. And a 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s version would be interesting.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom