Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

DznyRktekt

My point was that we don't even know what it has become. They don't tell anyone how much they spend on anything exactly, especially something like that. We just don't know, but, we are great at second guessing without any real knowledge whatsoever. Got any idea how much they have spent on resort transportation? No, we don't. I do know that they have a huge new fleet of buses at about 200K each. (discount rate) They are upgrading or attempting to upgrade the monorail system that has limited impact on the overall situation and who knows how much they have spent of the floating fleet, new roads, improved traffic flows and parking. All part of the resort transportation. Again we are all good at speaking out about things that we know nothing about. BTW, please explain what relationship that MM+ costs affects you being able to get a seat at a table service restaurant? That one has me stumped.
Not the costs, the system. A trip to WDW can rival a week at the office when it comes to following a schedule and planning ahead.

Goofyernmost

Not the costs, the system. A trip to WDW can rival a week at the office when it comes to following a schedule and planning ahead.
That I do understand and is one of the reasons why I stay offsite. I don't have to do all that high level planning. I get a few things that I want to do onsite like FP's and an occasional ADR otherwise I do my meals offsite, no reservations required, drive on and off with my own vehicle so it wouldn't matter to me if every bus they owned burnt up. It makes for a much more relaxed and a much more affordable experience. I really only have to plan on what park I want to be in on what day, and the rest is easy.

Na, that's Sci Fi as well. There has been that ability for ages now, but, many people, myself included want to have control and not rely on a machine. That is a couple of generations away at best. It is inviting an actual computer CRASH. That same line was used in the 60's. We were almost out of oil and gasoline engines were a thing of the past, yet 50 years later, whats under your hood. The cost of it alone will give it another 50 years before it happens.
The tech is definitely there and could be mass produced. The actual problem right now is that our entire infrastructure of roads would need to be redesigned for self-driving cars.

Sorry if this has been asked many times before, I don't really feel like reading 75 pages of this thread right now, so can anyone tell me if there are any updates so far about what this attraction could be?

Goofyernmost

The tech is definitely there and could be mass produced. The actual problem right now is that our entire infrastructure of roads would need to be redesigned for self-driving cars.
Yea, and that's not likely to happen in the near future either. I still think that a larger problem is public trust in that technology. We can't stop our home computers from crashing and we are going to trust our very lives to it? Not right now even though so much of our current automobiles run under the control of a computer, from engine performance to accelerator control. What we don't know doesn't bother us much.

lazyboy97o

Yea, and that's not likely to happen in the near future either. I still think that a larger problem is public trust in that technology. We can't stop our home computers from crashing and we are going to trust our very lives to it? Not right now even though so much of our current automobiles run under the control of a computer, from engine performance to accelerator control. What we don't know doesn't bother us much.
And yet no self driving accidents so far due to a computer crashing.

Most Millennials have grown up around tech and trust it, and as evidenced by celebrities dying en masse in 2016, I'm guessing baby boomers won't be the market they'll be going for with self-driving cars. I don't think trust will be a problem.

Goofyernmost

Quite true, however, there aren't very many cars out there being operated by a computer. In order to make it completely fool proof all regularly controlled vehicles would have to be eliminated or special highways would have to be built. As long as there are crazy people out there sharing the roads and you aren't able to react to a situation caused by someone else the threat and fear exists.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Quite true, however, there aren't very many cars out there being operated by a computer. In order to make it completely fool proof all regularly controlled vehicles would have to be eliminated or special highways would have to be built. As long as there are crazy people out there sharing the roads and you aren't able to react to a situation caused by someone else the threat and fear exists.
First you say the computers are the problem, now you say it is the humans. Self driving cars currently have override capabilities and are proving themselves to be an improvement even with all existing obstacles.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It's not helpful to focus on whether there ever was a self-driving car that was the cause of an accident or death. Nothing is perfect or foolproof. The measure is whether self-driving cars are on average safer than human-driven cars on average.

There were over 35,000 deaths from car accidents in 2015. Over 2 million in serious injuries. All involving human drivers. If self-driven cars were only twice as good as humans, that would save 17,000 deaths per year and over a million cases of serious injury.

Additionally, accidents involving self-driven cars would have a 'black box' which would help determine cause of the accident. That would only help self-driven cars become better and help determine insurance pay-outs without any need for court battles. Insurance companies would be paying out a lot less money because there'd be less accidents and they won't quibble over such pay-outs since it's less over all and clearly defined as to who or what was at fault.

Goofyernmost

First you say the computers are the problem, now you say it is the humans. Self driving cars currently have override capabilities and are proving themselves to be an improvement even with all existing obstacles.
It's much more complex then that. It isn't a pure belief in computers or a general feeling of insecurity when something that we don't understand is in control. I may believe that computers are infallible, but, I am also aware that computers like cars are built by humans and because of that are prone to error. How do you fix that mid-mistake? How many times have we heard the statistic that airplanes are safer then automobiles, but, how many thousands of people are still unable to fly due to a fear of something that they don't understand or even because an error in that situation is pretty much catastrophic? Airplanes are computer controlled as long as nothing goes wrong. Would one have been able to land itself in the Hudson like Sully did? Even with override systems, you might as well drive as have to sit there alert to the possible need to over ride things. There were safety systems on the fatal crash of the monorail a few years back. Humans screw that up every time. Wouldn't you want a vehicle to take care of things so you can read a book, take a nap, play cards, etc. instead of drive. Having to sit there watching everything operated isn't exactly much of a gain is it?

Yes, I am a baby boomer and like my father before me that was a airplane mechanic during WWII would never to his dying day ride in a plane because he "knew what could go wrong with them". I understand that doubt. You may or even I may feel that computers are safer then anything, that doesn't mean that the fear will just go away overnight.

But, even then we are talking about theoretical ideas of the dependability of a machine over a human. What the real situation is, is that we can't get the people that provide us with highways to fix the potholes much less alter them to be able to guide automobiles along a path on every highway in the world or even worse to build a whole new highway system parallel to the currently existing ones. It would take years and years to make that transition and like I originally said... many generations will have to have invested in something that they will not be able to actually get a benefit from. There is a huge difference between being able to achieve something technologically and being able to implement it into a full time workable reality.

Last edited:
Tbh I don't know why all the hate on Stitches Great Escape. It was certainly better than the Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management that got put in around the same time as Stitch

At least they didn't import Stitch's Tiki Room from Tokyo.

Why don't they change it to discovery land like disneyland paris has? I think it works very well there. The jules verne theme is also beautiful to look at and it never gets old.

Are you sure you want to see the return of this terrible color scheme?

2003-space-mountain2.jpg

The interesting thing is that Speedway is no longer their future. Their future is self-driving cars. Their future is perhaps not even owning a car but joining a service where a fleet of self-driving cars act as an automated Uber with car service on demand. Their future has nothing to do with gas-powered vehicles. We'll be able to move Speedway to Frontierland soon.

Car and tech companies have been telling us that all electric (remember the all-electric Corvair GM showed off in 66?) self-driving cars are "just around the corner" since the 60s. Google and Uber might want us to believe that we'll have self-driving cars by 2020 but considering they haven't figured out how to make them work reliably in rain or snow it doesn't seem likely.

That being said, the PeopleMover has become pretty dated considering how many rapid transit systems these days are completely automated (the SkyTrain in Vancouver, the Docklands Light Railway, la ligne 1 et 14 of the Paris métro and so on). I doubt anyone would make a case for removing it from Tomorrowland though.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

The interesting thing is that Speedway is no longer their future. Their future is self-driving cars. Their future is perhaps not even owning a car but joining a service where a fleet of self-driving cars act as an automated Uber with car service on demand. Their future has nothing to do with gas-powered vehicles. We'll be able to move Speedway to Frontierland soon.
which ironically, makes the peoplemover fit even better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Car and tech companies have been telling us that all electric (remember the all-electric Corvair GM showed off in 66?) self-driving cars are "just around the corner" since the 60s. Google and Uber might want us to believe that we'll have self-driving cars by 2020 but considering they haven't figured out how to make them work reliably in rain or snow it doesn't seem likely.

The big difference is that the technology actually has caught up. This isn't flying car promises which is still decades and decades away. All electric vehicles are here now. Self driving cars and trucks are on the roads now. The last hurdles will be overcome with infrastructure updates such as local positioning tech (guide wires in roads, and communicating traffic signals). With those in place a smart car will be a hundred times safer in the snow than a human-driven car because it will know where the road is when the driver can't.

The big difference is that the technology actually has caught up. This isn't flying car promises which is still decades and decades away. All electric vehicles are here now.

They've been here for decades though. They've yet to become vehicles for the masses though. Even the 'budget' Tesla is a luxury car. We're still years away from a modern mass produced version of the Electrovette.

Self driving cars and trucks are on the roads now. The last hurdles will be overcome with infrastructure updates such as local positioning tech (guide wires in roads, and communicating traffic signals). With those in place a smart car will be a hundred times safer in the snow than a human-driven car because it will know where the road is when the driver can't.

The whole appeal of automated vehicles is that they (in theory) won't require massively expensive infrastructure upgrades. Hell, there's one of the head engineers working on the Google project that said something along the lines of "change the vehicles, not the infrastructure". If first-gen self-driving vehicles require their own specialized infrastructure then they'll meet the same fate as all the fantastical PRT proposals from the 60s and 70s and go nowhere. CBTC systems have taken years to implement on older railways due to how expensive and complicated the infrastructure for them is and those systems are quite mature and have been commercially available for more than two decades now. If you take that into account then imagine how many years it would take to rebuild the roads in a single American city just to accommodate for self-driving vehicles that require curbside infrastructure.

I'm aware that self-driving vehicles are coming but the time frame for deployment companies offer seem pretty optimistic based on the technical papers I've read in the past few years. Seriously, I don't expect to be using one of these within the next few years if the current prototypes can't even drive while it's snowing or go into panic mode when they encounter a bloody pot hole.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go so far off-topic and I apologize for the rambling.

FigmentJedi

At least they didn't import Stitch's Tiki Room from Tokyo.
Stitch Tiki Room's actually tasteful compared to Under New Management and Great Escape. Stitch hiding and pranking in small ways before revealing himself in the third act is much better then Gilbert Gottfried being loud, abrasive, and insistent on knowing how to pander to the new generation for 15 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom