Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Mike S

Again, you are talking about Disney classics with Peter Pan, Dumbo, Snow White, etc... We are talking about less popular modern IPs. Mr. Toad was removed and the outcry was only from park fanboys. Nobody in the general population cared that it was gone. People back in the day didn't say, "I can't wait to go to WDW to ride the Mr Toad ride". They do and will say that about major IPs like Star Wars and Harry Potter or classics like Peter Pan or Snow White.
From 1994 ;)

Very few people will care if Stitch doesn't have a ride or if some day Universal removes Men in Black or Fast & Furious or Minions for the next big hit. I don't dispute that a ride like Splash Mountain that is great can last indefinitely despite an unpopular IP. The difference is the ride is a true e-ticket so it stands on its own.
Can't the same thing be said for MIB? Best shooter ride there is :happy:
This is true, but those are also Classic Disney rides (mostly DL originals) based on classic Disney movies. Nostalgia plays a large part in their popularity (the movies and the rides). I agree that Disney has done a great job with keeping those classics alive with the parks and marketing the nostalgia. I'm just skeptical that they will be able to do the same thing with IPs like Avatar or Wreck-it Ralph or even Guardians of the Galaxy. The nostalgia factor just won't be there so if the ride can't stand up on its own (like Stitch now) it will eventually be replaced.
It actually sounds like Avatar and GotG will be done pretty well. I also don't think it'll be too easy to tear down Pandora.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From 1994 ;)

Can't the same thing be said for MIB? Best shooter ride there is :happy:

It actually sounds like Avatar and GotG will be done pretty well. I also don't think it'll be too easy to tear down Pandora.

Love that commercial. Classic.

I agree Pandora is likely to be here for a very long time. Even if the IP fades into obscurity it's a whole land and costs a billion dollars. I also think the land/rides could be good enough to stand on their own anyway. GoTG I'm not sure about. Maybe it will be a huge IP going forward or maybe not. If they had the rights to the more classic avengers (Iron Man, Hulk, Captain, etc...) it would be a no brainer.

Mike S

Love that commercial. Classic.

I agree Pandora is likely to be here for a very long time. Even if the IP fades into obscurity it's a whole land and costs a billion dollars. I also think the land/rides could be good enough to stand on their own anyway. GoTG I'm not sure about. Maybe it will be a huge IP going forward or maybe not. If they had the rights to the more classic avengers (Iron Man, Hulk, Captain, etc...) it would be a no brainer.
I meant the GotG being done well enough that it stays based on its own merits.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I meant the GotG being done well enough that it stays based on its own merits.
I hope so. I just don't know enough about the ride yet. Avatar looks pretty epic (at least the land does so far) and I'm looking forward to seeing more details about the rides.

Princess_AmyK

Just to remind everyone, Stitch is still phenomenonlly popular in Asia, and for a couple years was the biggest merch-moving character stateside. I sometimes wonder if US Disney fans' opinion of the IP was only soured because of the terrible Magic kingdom attraction.

Hearing that people believe Stitch isn't a popular IP is news to me. I personally love Stitch, and most people I know either know who Stitch is and feel its a decent movie or love Stitch. I don't think that I have ever met someone who said they did not like Lilo and Stitch at all. (at least in person. Clearly the forums think otherwise.) I do think it is a lot more popular for young adults and teens who are into anime and comics because he is a commonly brought up character in that culture/interest that is growing in popularity. (Think Comicon)

That being said, I do not like Stitches Great Escape. It does nothing for me. Even considering that Stitch is a favorite character of mine. Even with the ride being so lame and unenjoyable, it would never be a reason for me to not like Stitch though. I just won't make it a priority to ride the ride. Just like if there is a lame Beauty and the Beast attraction, I am not going to abandon my love for that movie.

I think it's clear that Disney knows something that others may not realize. Stitch sells. Especially to certain niches and those niches have money. I recently had a long conversation with a friend of mine about how much money we both dropped in the Japan pavilion at EPCOT and that is the same niche that loves to buy an adorable Stitch coffee mug.

Mike S

Hearing that people believe Stitch isn't a popular IP is news to me. I personally love Stitch, and most people I know either know who Stitch is and feel its a decent movie or love Stitch. I don't think that I have ever met someone who said they did not like Lilo and Stitch at all. (at least in person. Clearly the forums think otherwise.) I do think it is a lot more popular for young adults and teens who are into anime and comics because he is a commonly brought up character in that culture/interest that is growing in popularity. (Think Comicon)

That being said, I do not like Stitches Great Escape. It does nothing for me. Even considering that Stitch is a favorite character of mine. Even with the ride being so lame and unenjoyable, it would never be a reason for me to not like Stitch though. I just won't make it a priority to ride the ride. Just like if there is a lame Beauty and the Beast attraction, I am not going to abandon my love for that movie.

I think it's clear that Disney knows something that others may not realize. Stitch sells. Especially to certain niches and those niches have money. I recently had a long conversation with a friend of mine about how much money we both dropped in the Japan pavilion at EPCOT and that is the same niche that loves to buy an adorable Stitch coffee mug.
Who couldn't love this little guy? :inlove:
tumblr_n44k6a5vXX1r7c0kuo1_400.gif

Next Big Thing

Lilo and Stitch is the most popular of the early 2000s movies and the only one that was a mainstream success. People hate Stitch's Great Escape because it's just a really crappy attraction for the character and one that doesn't really hit upon why people like the film.
Yup.

The Lilo & Stitch IP probably could translate to a really well done attraction, but the poor execution of SGE has jaded many people not only on the attraction, but the IP itself.

NearTheEars

I have a few bootlegged dvds of it..although I know that hate will pour in, it is my feel good movie..I love it and don't understand why it is so taboo, especially considering some of the trashy films made today

What? Are you saying all the bloody, explosive, violence, abuse and murder films are worse than a sprinkle of stereotypical racism? ;)

Ripken10

I don't like lilo and stitch at all. And I love Disney movies. I own nearly every Disney movie, and people always borrowing my movies. It is one of the few Disney movies nobody has ever asked to borrow. So "everybody" doesn't like stitch

NothingRhymeswithOrange

Has a ride ever actually been moved? I have to imagine it would be prohibitively expensive.

It definitely would be expensive but well worth the money to free up two huge plots of land that could be used to make something of significance. Tomorrowland as we have all discussed is in serious need of a full remodel and doing this would be a step in the right direction. CoP is perfect for Epcot, as is IASW. So again, yes expensive but in the long run well worth the money spent.

lazyboy97o

Say what? Inside Out met with wide critical and commercial success, and Coco looks like it's going to be a lot of fun too.
Sequels and soinoffs only as a strategy is already hailed as a bold strategy that reflects consumer desires and contemporary culture when it comes to Flower Street. Why not expand it to Pixar? It'll reduce the risk associated with their costly films. And people expect Pixar characters when they go to a Pixar film.

Matt_Black

I don't like lilo and stitch at all. And I love Disney movies. I own nearly every Disney movie, and people always borrowing my movies. It is one of the few Disney movies nobody has ever asked to borrow. So "everybody" doesn't like stitch

Yeah, and "everbody" didn't like Frozen, but it still had a great deal of popularity.

You don't like Stitch. I get it. But trying to dredge up anecdotal evidence that somehow proves it's an inferior film is disingenuous at best. I don't like football, but that doesn't somehow make football automatically bad and unpopular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom