Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Matt_Black

I'm thinking it has to do with Chapek wanting more properties in the park. He was a merchandise guy after all.

Did somebody say merchandising?

ar9w8qu.gif

No Name

What's up with all of the new attraction popping up all of a sudden?

Well, they aren't spending billions of dollars on NGE (magicbands and such) and Shanghai Disneyland so perhaps they are more inclined to spend on new attractions in WDW.

Bob Chapek was a merketing guy so perhaps he wants to get the properties into the parks as Mike S said.

Or perhaps, after six years of UO's 2 parks outpacing WDW's 4 in attendance percentage increase (and almost in actual raw numbers), Bob Iger and crew have admitted to themselves that the Orlando market is not "mature." Perhaps they've admitted to themselves that Potter was not just a theme park craze that would die out, but rather, the start of Universal rapidly gaining on Disney's market share and rapidly becoming seen as a true competitor rather than as "not on the same level." Perhaps they've decided that they should try to win, rather than just try to hang in there.

Perhaps they've decided to compete.

I'm not gung-ho about all of and all parts of their decisions, but I certainly do like that they're spending money on new attractions. I don't mean to sound negative. I applaud them for it. I'm glad that NGE and Shanghai are over (I support both of those projects, just not the excessive cost). And I'm hopeful that they've learned a thing or two in the last six years.

And I shall say I'm cautiously optimistic for what's to come.

Last edited:

brb1006

Add me to those who like The Laugh Floor. It's a lot of fun, and every audience there I've been a part of loved it. Yeah, it's in an inappropriate location. But still a decent attraction IMO.

Really curious about this "people-eater". And so glad if Stitch is going. Too bad, it's a really good-looking attraction, but no fun at all. The one and ONLY time I rode it, it made little kids cry. It's a clever show with a bad script. I love the movie "Lilo and Stitch". What a shame the attraction doesn't live up to the film.
I remember Stitch's Great Escape used to scare me when I was little because of how Stitch was still as his old evil self.

Kman101

So if it's merch and Stitch isn't pulling his weight, and IF it's WIR, does that really have merchandise flying off the shelves? I know it has a sequel and I loved the movie, but it can't just be based off of merch .... but hey if Stitch gets gone, I actually don't care in this case. I'd take Merida's Great Escape over Stitch, though the animatronic is the one good thing it had going for it. What a waste of Stitch and that theater though.

Bocabear

So if it's merch and Stitch isn't pulling his weight, and IF it's WIR, does that really have merchandise flying off the shelves? I know it has a sequel and I loved the movie, but it can't just be based off of merch .... but hey if Stitch gets gone, I actually don't care in this case. I'd take Merida's Great Escape over Stitch, though the animatronic is the one good thing it had going for it. What a waste of Stitch and that theater though.
The Stitch animatronic is great...it is just the shoehorned attraction is not... I would love to see the animatronics reused in another place...instead of just mothballed...Though there are lots of animatronics left over from World Of Motion and Horizons as well that could be used for something.... Use stitch in the static scenes along the Peoplemover track... It would add an unexpected kinetic element to the otherwise stationary displays

KDM31091

As much as I would be thrilled to see Stitch go, would it kill Disney to come up with an exciting, original attraction like they used to be known for? Why is everything a movie tie in? Many of the classic, popular attractions have little to no movie tie in and yet they do just fine.

lazyboy97o

As much as I would be thrilled to see Stitch go, would it kill Disney to come up with an exciting, original attraction like they used to be known for? Why is everything a movie tie in? Many of the classic, popular attractions have little to no movie tie in and yet they do just fine.
Bob Iger has publicly stated in interviews that during his tenure the parks are to focus on franchises.

NothingRhymeswithOrange

The Stitch animatronic is great...it is just the shoehorned attraction is not... I would love to see the animatronics reused in another place...instead of just mothballed...Though there are lots of animatronics left over from World Of Motion and Horizons as well that could be used for something.... Use stitch in the static scenes along the Peoplemover track... It would add an unexpected kinetic element to the otherwise stationary displays

I'd be happy if they did a Lilo and Stitch dark ride to reuse that animatronic. Seeing a Captain Gantu animatronic would be pretty awesome.

All in all I am thrilled to hear of the possibility of this ride closing, heres to hoping the chili cheese dog smell can be taken out completely

RSoxNo1

Bob Iger has publicly stated in interviews that during his tenure the parks are to focus on franchises.

He has indeed.

Sadly.
As we spend money at the parks on new attractions that are based on known intellectual property and brands, the likelihood of their success is greater. So when we increase Toy Story’s presence or other Pixar presence, when we put Frozen in the parks, when we grow Star Wars presence, which we will do significantly, when we do it with Princess, for instance, you’re going to see, I think, basically better bets being made that pay off, that are more likely to pay off for us than some of the bets that were made in the past. - Bob Iger, Quarter 3, Fiscal Year 2014 Earnings Call

Mike S

As we spend money at the parks on new attractions that are based on known intellectual property and brands, the likelihood of their success is greater. So when we increase Toy Story’s presence or other Pixar presence, when we put Frozen in the parks, when we grow Star Wars presence, which we will do significantly, when we do it with Princess, for instance, you’re going to see, I think, basically better bets being made that pay off, that are more likely to pay off for us than some of the bets that were made in the past. - Bob Iger, Quarter 3, Fiscal Year 2014 Earnings Call
Just compare that to the quote in my signature.

DznyRktekt

Any chance it could be something like this? I'm pretty naive when it comes to this sort of thing, but I always thought this concept could work in this particular space:

http://www.cavudw.com/theatres/circumotion

A remodel of the theaters and removal of the animatronics could possibly make this a generic space where the IP could be changed out every couple of years after the novelty wore off. WIR becomes Olaf's Alien Adventure or whatever. All one would need is to change out signage and the CGI film.

UpAllNight

Stitch is such an awfully executed idea that any change is welcomed in my eyes.

To make a ride child proof yet to strap them in like that is such a poorly thought out concept.

Timothy_Q

A remodel of the theaters and removal of the animatronics could possibly make this a generic space where the IP could be changed out every couple of years after the novelty wore off. WIR becomes Olaf's Alien Adventure or whatever. All one would need is to change out signage and the CGI film.

We always assume / hope Disney will keep things fresh when it comes to movie based attractions.
Has that ever happened before? Soarin only happened because it was in Shanghai's budget.
Even Star Tours, took more than 20 years. And it's Star Wars, something Iger cares about.

I'm still waiting for updates to Imagination theater, Muppets, all the world showcase films, Circle of life, etc etc etc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom