Stitch's Great Escape Goes Seasonal

FigmentForver96

MK is at its tipping point with attractions and infrastructure. There are 5 million more people per year visiting MK now than a decade ago. A new ride is likely to bring in more people than that ride can handle in one day which makes the problem worse. MK needs boring expansions like more wide open spaces, an alternative to the fireworks (since the hub is full) or a new viewing area (sig link in my sig below). The now-cancelled theater would have been perfect if it could have drawn 5,000 people into an evening show while HEA was happening.

Last thing MK needs is new and improved rides... until the other three parks catch up and are just as powerful attractors of guests as the MK. MK is doing just fine as it is. Just needs really good maintenance.
Magic Kingdom will never NOT be crowded. Build, don’t build it makes no difference as people are going to visit the Magic Kingdom. It IS the image of the Disney parks. When people think Walt Disney World, Magic Kingdom is the first thought. Some even are confused and believe that Magic Kingdom = Walt Disney World and everything else is just Disney. Building at other parks is needed and is happening but it won’t stop guest flow to their main park

tomast

Magic Kingdom will never NOT be crowded. Build, don’t build it makes no difference as people are going to visit the Magic Kingdom. It IS the image of the Disney parks. When people think Walt Disney World, Magic Kingdom is the first thought. Some even are confused and believe that Magic Kingdom = Walt Disney World and everything else is just Disney. Building at other parks is needed and is happening but it won’t stop guest flow to their main park
Where are you from??

FerretAfros

MK is at its tipping point with attractions and infrastructure. There are 5 million more people per year visiting MK now than a decade ago. A new ride is likely to bring in more people than that ride can handle in one day which makes the problem worse. MK needs boring expansions like more wide open spaces, an alternative to the fireworks (since the hub is full) or a new viewing area (sig link in my sig below). The now-cancelled theater would have been perfect if it could have drawn 5,000 people into an evening show while HEA was happening.

Last thing MK needs is new and improved rides... until the other three parks catch up and are just as powerful attractors of guests as the MK. MK is doing just fine as it is. Just needs really good maintenance.
On the flip side, there are 5 million more people visiting MK now than a decade ago and almost nothing has been done during that period to add capacity. Honestly, nothing meaningful has been done to add capacity since the early 90's, when attendance was just over half of its current levels.

MK has plenty of wide open spaces to handle the crowds. What it lacks is destinations to draw the crowds out of the wide open spaces, clearing room for the people behind them. Instead the park is saddled with things like SOTMK, Pirate's Adventure, and unnecessary FP+ that leave guests lingering in the walkways, rather than absorbing them into other facilities. Again, DL has comparable attendance and all of its walkways are smaller than their MK equivalents (including Main Street, which is more heavily used due to the ease of parkhopping).

In a way, MK's capacity problems are a microcosm of WDW's capacity problems as a whole. Everybody goes to MK because "it's the thing to do". Everybody watches fireworks in front of the castle because "it's the thing to do". But if there were more things to do (worthwhile attractions, good nighttime show viewing locations, etc.) scattered around, it would ease the burden on any single facility. WDW has gotten to the point where it can't perform regular refurbishments because the parks can't stand to lose the capacity, which is simply pathetic.

Whether Disney does something or not, crowds are going to continue to grow. They can either keep burying their head in the sand and pretending that everything is okay, or they can prepare for the future. For too long, WDW has been run like it's going out of business, and it's reaching its breaking point. If they want to continue to charge premium prices, they need to deliver a premium product; what they have now simply isn't it.

drizgirl

On the flip side, there are 5 million more people visiting MK now than a decade ago and almost nothing has been done during that period to add capacity. Honestly, nothing meaningful has been done to add capacity since the early 90's, when attendance was just over half of its current levels.

MK has plenty of wide open spaces to handle the crowds. What it lacks is destinations to draw the crowds out of the wide open spaces, clearing room for the people behind them. Instead the park is saddled with things like SOTMK, Pirate's Adventure, and unnecessary FP+ that leave guests lingering in the walkways, rather than absorbing them into other facilities. Again, DL has comparable attendance and all of its walkways are smaller than their MK equivalents (including Main Street, which is more heavily used due to the ease of parkhopping).

In a way, MK's capacity problems are a microcosm of WDW's capacity problems as a whole. Everybody goes to MK because "it's the thing to do". Everybody watches fireworks in front of the castle because "it's the thing to do". But if there were more things to do (worthwhile attractions, good nighttime show viewing locations, etc.) scattered around, it would ease the burden on any single facility. WDW has gotten to the point where it can't perform regular refurbishments because the parks can't stand to lose the capacity, which is simply pathetic.

Whether Disney does something or not, crowds are going to continue to grow. They can either keep burying their head in the sand and pretending that everything is okay, or they can prepare for the future. For too long, WDW has been run like it's going out of business, and it's reaching its breaking point. If they want to continue to charge premium prices, they need to deliver a premium product; what they have now simply isn't it.
I thought FP+ was supposed to solve that. ;)

Last edited:

aladdin2007

fastpass is doing what it was meant to, which was unfortunately; crowd the walkways, crowd the stores, so the focus is buying merch and food. With other reasoning's behind it. Disney has painted some kind of false glorious portrait of it they want the public buying into, but I think it was one of the worst things they ever did. Yeah its nice to not wait in a line so long but look at the standby backups (making it nearly impossible to go on anything else other than your three fastpass) it has caused for attractions that were not designed for it (omnimovers especially) and the throngs of people everywhere. Some say its the "blueocean" effect, which is a horrible business model. The park has major capacity and crowd control problems, the fireworks are a nightmare as an example. It was so scary last time I said I would never again be in that park before, during, or after, its mayhem. And having stitch closed to save a few bucks doesn't help. It should still be running until a replacement is ready but that's too much common sense.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

perfectly stated!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
fastpass is doing what it was meant to, which was unfortunately; crowd the walkways, crowd the stores, so the focus is buying merch and food.

If that were true, then there'd be lines out the door for all the shops and for all food establishments.

I hardly think there's an appreciable crowd of people saying, "Well, I'm not going to go on any rides unless I have a FP for it, so, I'll just shop for the next hour."

MK's pathways are crowded because MK is crowded.

RSoxNo1

I don't entirely agree but a new low capacity C ticket is a tough addition for that park (let alone a low capacity E ticket like Tron). What it needs are several more Mermaid type attractions spread out throughout the park. Several High Capacity Family ridess to add 6000+ guests per hour in the ride queues but also capable of largely absorbing the demand. That largely fuels my "move it's a small world to Epcot" position because despite it's a small world having huge capacity it blocks off an area that is ripe for these types of rides. You could justifiably fit a Frozen, Tangled and Beauty and the Beast dark ride in that area along with a quick service restaurant and get a huge capacity boost to that park.

Sharon&Susan

Stitch is ~18,400 square ft (including preshows and both theaters).
Notable attractions with smallish footprints:
Winnie the Pooh: 22,800 sq ft
Philharmagic: 15,900 sq ft
PeterPan: 13,500 sq ft
Mission Space: 40,300 sq ft (but includes 4 separate centrifuges and a post show area)
Star tours: 30,500 sq ft (But I think has 6 simulators?)
Primeval Whirl: 28,000 square ft (includes 2 complete coasters)
The Simpson's Ride: 25,000 sq ft (includes 2 theaters)
You are pretty much looking at a show (simulator or not) or a small dark ride.

Personally I wouldn't mind turning it into a signature tomorrowland restaurant allowing them to close down Tomorrowland Terrace. Split the Terrace land in half. Front half, figure out how many people you can pack into a multistory dessert shop for fireworks viewing (themed to main street USA. Back half, combine with Laugh Floor to create a new epic tomorrowland ride that can expand out to where the Main street theater was going to go.

They need to make Phillarmagic a ride, just like it’s counterpart in California was turned into a ride. I can’t imagine Pinocchio’s Daring Journey is any bigger than the theater in Florida.

Sharon&Susan

Not everything needs to be turned into a ride. Especially not in MK.
A dark ride in Fantasyland that feels WED-like might be able to bring back heart (at least to me) back to Fantasyland. Phillarmagic is worse than Stitch in my eyes and I’d like to see Fantasyland at the MK improve instead of become worse like it has since for 20 years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A dark ride in Fantasyland that feels WED-like might be able to bring back heart (at least to me) back to Fantasyland. Phillarmagic is worse than Stitch in my eyes and I’d like to see Fantasyland at the MK improve instead of become worse like it has since for 20 years.

Get rid of IaSW (put a better version in the Imagination Building of Epcot). Then you get to get rid of that tight concrete alley and create a nice, open concourse to the backside of RoA where you can fit literally 15 WED-like rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom