Staying in a vacation home with a large group, tips?

cynic710

Original Poster
we have a large group of people going:

bedroom 1: my wife and I
bedroom 2: my friend and his wife
bedroom 3: my mother
bedroom 4: friends mother
bedroom 5: mother in law and father in law
bedroom 6: another friend
bedroom 7: 4 kids, ages 3,3,5,5

the house has 6 bathrooms.

my question and hopes for answers in this thread will come from those who have stayed and vacationed in a similar situation. I want to know if this large group is in danger of getting under each others skin for an 8day/7night trip. Granted we will be at parks all day, but does the living together thing get in the way of enjoyment/relaxation outside of park visitation? we have always done the hotel room thing, which meant we could retreat to our own dwelling to relax, and with us all under the same roof im afraid that goes away.

how have you dealt with this? has any issue really come up? any tips to avoid a meltdown of some of the closest people in my life,lol?

thanks in advance!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The best piece of advice I could give is do not rent just 1 or 2 vans to fit the entire party. If each section of the group has their own transportation it will make going to different places much easier. If you are forced to travel together 24/7 someone will get punched in the eye by the end of the week. ;)

LizC

My family (7 adults, 2 babies) rented a 6 bedroom 5 bath house in October. All went well. The house was huge! If I did it in the future I would probably have gone with another company, we use allstar vacation homes and they were a bit difficult to deal with. As a previous poster mentioned, rent cars for each family/group. That is how we all managed to spend 10 days together without getting on each others nerves. It was nice to have the freedom to come and go from the parks on our own schedule.

Also, we ordered from Garden Grocer for groceries and don't forget toilet paper.

Nemo14

we have a large group of people going:

bedroom 1: my wife and I
bedroom 2: my friend and his wife
bedroom 3: my mother
bedroom 4: friends mother
bedroom 5: mother in law and father in law
bedroom 6: another friend
bedroom 7: 4 kids, ages 3,3,5,5

the house has 6 bathrooms.

my question and hopes for answers in this thread will come from those who have stayed and vacationed in a similar situation. I want to know if this large group is in danger of getting under each others skin for an 8day/7night trip. Granted we will be at parks all day, but does the living together thing get in the way of enjoyment/relaxation outside of park visitation? we have always done the hotel room thing, which meant we could retreat to our own dwelling to relax, and with us all under the same roof im afraid that goes away.

how have you dealt with this? has any issue really come up? any tips to avoid a meltdown of some of the closest people in my life,lol?

thanks in advance!

We've been renting off-site for 13 years, usually with a group of 8 or more, and some trips have been better than others. Definitely rent more than one vehicle, and give each other space. I'm not sure about putting all 4 kids in one room, so you might want to have a PlanB for that, just in case (if these are grandchildren, maybe have them take a night with grandparents or something).
We share the cooking/cleanup duties, as well as laundry time, and bear in mind that you can only move as fast as the slowest person in your group. Have fun!

Figgy1

Premium Member
If you are staying off sight the cheapest groceries can be found at Publix and Walmart! I like Sweet Bay and Goodlings!

Figgy1

Premium Member
I will add that once you've stayed in a rental home, you'll never want to go back to staying in a hotel. It's that great!!!
That was our family's big debate when booking for this June's trip! LOL Everything else was easily decided but the condo won! 4br for less than a value and a kitchen was too much to pass up! Besides my boys are commandos we never really see where we are staying except at breakfast and to sleep.

Nemo14

We've stayed at huge houses with big groups, and small condos when it's just the 2 of us. Absolutely no regrets, and we love having a "Homey" space to ourselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom