Staying at the Four Seasons in October - any experiences or thoughts?

durangojim

Original Poster
My wife and I are going for a 4 day romantic long weekend and decided to dial up the luxury and dial down the Disney. We're passholders so we're lucky to go often (2-3x per year). We're forgoing staying at one of the usual deluxe resorts and are going to try out the Four Seasons for the first time. We're not park commandos so I'm not worried about that and will probably use uber to get to the parks. Has anyone stayed there recently and have any tips?
Thanks!

DisneyJoe

My wife and I are going for a 4 day romantic long weekend and decided to dial up the luxury and dial down the Disney. We're passholders so we're lucky to go often (2-3x per year). We're forgoing staying at one of the usual deluxe resorts and are going to try out the Four Seasons for the first time. We're not park commandos so I'm not worried about that and will probably use uber to get to the parks. Has anyone stayed there recently and have any tips?
Thanks!
They also have luxury motor coaches to take you to and from the parks.

penscerl

Thanks!

I went there in 2014 when it first opened and I had a great experience. It's pretty secluded from the parks and Disney Springs so it is quiet enough, but it is still convenient enough to get around. It's in Disney's Golden Oak community, but you can't walk around that area as security for the community will pick you up and drive you back to the hotel which is what happened to me when I walked down to the entrance of the community to get a picture with the Little Mermaid statue. The rooms are nice and modern and if you have a good view you can see Illuminations everynight. The pool area is great and quiet, at least it was when my family went. I heard good things about the spa and the golf is excellent. Enjoy your visit!

epcotisbest

Thanks!

We stayed there for a couple of nights last year. My best tip is to skip the parks this trip and take advantage of the Four Seasons. The pool complex is incredible, with multiple pools and a lazy river. For us, we did not want to waste any resort time by going to the parks. We can go to the parks any time. If you drive, there is no self parking, valet only, but we did not go in and out but one time. Restaurants are pricey, but very good, and the poolside cafe was good too.

durangojim

Original Poster
We stayed there for a couple of nights last year. My best tip is to skip the parks this trip and take advantage of the Four Seasons. The pool complex is incredible, with multiple pools and a lazy river. For us, we did not want to waste any resort time by going to the parks. We can go to the parks any time. If you drive, there is no self parking, valet only, but we did not go in and out but one time. Restaurants are pricey, but very good, and the poolside cafe was good too.
Thanks! We're from Michigan so although we get to go often it's still a relative big deal for us to go. We both want to see Pandora since we haven't yet and will probably check out World Showcase for Food and Wine but we're skipping dining reservations and only doing FPs for the Pandora rides. We are definitely going to take it easy and enjoy the resort!

correcaminos

Thanks! We're from Michigan so although we get to go often it's still a relative big deal for us to go. We both want to see Pandora since we haven't yet and will probably check out World Showcase for Food and Wine but we're skipping dining reservations and only doing FPs for the Pandora rides. We are definitely going to take it easy and enjoy the resort!
Sounds like a lovely trip! A good friend of mine just went and she loved it. I admit being DVC my chances of staying there are slim (hard to justify when I can get a room without any OOP money) but I loved hearing all about her stay. Puts Disney resorts to shame in many ways. I'd go and enjoy!

Hockey89

Thanks!
Had my wedding there... Amazing service, pool, spa and food.... The hotel blows away any Disney hotel for service and upscale feel... Get a massage and enjoy the spa.... Capa for dinner.... You can go outside and watch the fireworks from there as well

TrojanUSC

Have stayed here 5x. Can not say enough good things about this resort. It's everything a Disney Deluxe Resort should be at nearly the same price point. Yes, you don't get the amazing theming like you do at Disney, but you get world-class service, modern technology, restaurants that prioritize their own resort guests, up-to-date room decor, great private bathrooms with separate shower/tubs, and a pool that will blow your mind. You have to remember, Disney invited Four Seasons to be on property because they realized their once-amazing resorts had done an subpar job at keeping up with the times and were losing tons of high-value guests to the Waldorf and the Ritz Carlton, where there was no prioritization for Disney (i.e. Universal is a valid option to spend a few days). At the FS, they even have Disney Cast Members staffing a "Disney" desk for anything you might need theme park related.

As others have said, the pool complex is incredible. Kids can enjoy the lazy river, slides and tons of other stuff. Literally a small water park in and of itself. For some adults only time, there's also a great infinity pool where kids aren't allowed.

Food is on another level. No Disney Dining Plan to dumb down menus. The pool bar/restaurant is fantastic and is not your typical pool food. The freshly baked pretzels with beer cheese are to die for. Definitely do Capa for dinner. It's great. Best steak on property, I think, with an Argentinean flair. I've heard great things about Ravello for dinner, but I haven't tried it.

As far as rooms, they're modern, up-to-date and filled with the latest technology. Unless you're packing a telescope, my one tip would be don't splurge on a "Disney" view. It's just not close enough, honestly, be worthwhile. Lots of trees and a faint glimmer of the Castle a few miles away. The fireworks are really the best part of that view but you can head up to Capa for the same effect and save a couple hundred bucks a night.

The breakfast restaurant is great and Disney characters are available twice/week.

Hockey89

Have stayed here 5x. Can not say enough good things about this resort. It's everything a Disney Deluxe Resort should be at nearly the same price point. Yes, you don't get the amazing theming like you do at Disney, but you get world-class service, modern technology, restaurants that prioritize their own resort guests, up-to-date room decor, great private bathrooms with separate shower/tubs, and a pool that will blow your mind. You have to remember, Disney invited Four Seasons to be on property because they realized their once-amazing resorts had done an subpar job at keeping up with the times and were losing tons of high-value guests to the Waldorf and the Ritz Carlton, where there was no prioritization for Disney (i.e. Universal is a valid option to spend a few days). At the FS, they even have Disney Cast Members staffing a "Disney" desk for anything you might need theme park related.

As others have said, the pool complex is incredible. Kids can enjoy the lazy river, slides and tons of other stuff. Literally a small water park in and of itself. For some adults only time, there's also a great infinity pool where kids aren't allowed.

Food is on another level. No Disney Dining Plan to dumb down menus. The pool bar/restaurant is fantastic and is not your typical pool food. The freshly baked pretzels with beer cheese are to die for. Definitely do Capa for dinner. It's great. Best steak on property, I think, with an Argentinean flair. I've heard great things about Ravello for dinner, but I haven't tried it.

As far as rooms, they're modern, up-to-date and filled with the latest technology. Unless you're packing a telescope, my one tip would be don't splurge on a "Disney" view. It's just not close enough, honestly, be worthwhile. Lots of trees and a faint glimmer of the Castle a few miles away. The fireworks are really the best part of that view but you can head up to Capa for the same effect and save a couple hundred bucks a night.

The breakfast restaurant is great and Disney characters are available twice/week.
Yes to everything here...

JusticeDisney

The Four Seasons is, by a mile, the nicest resort anywhere on property. It puts every Disney-owned resort to shame. That said, if you stay there, you will not feel one bit like you are in the "bubble." Maybe that's fine for you, maybe it's not. Personally, I have loved my stays there, but if you are looking for that "all-Disney, all-the-time" vibe, the Four Seasons is not the answer. However, given that you are looking to "dial down" Disney, you are in for the time of your life.

durangojim

Original Poster
The Four Seasons is, by a mile, the nicest resort anywhere on property. It puts every Disney-owned resort to shame. That said, if you stay there, you will not feel one bit like you are in the "bubble." Maybe that's fine for you, maybe it's not. Personally, I have loved my stays there, but if you are looking for that "all-Disney, all-the-time" vibe, the Four Seasons is not the answer. However, given that you are looking to "dial down" Disney, you are in for the time of your life.
Thanks. We're not worried about having total Disney immersion this trip. I'll miss the magical express and being able to check our luggage at the hotel, but for this trip we're more about luxury and just spending time with each other and Disney happens to be a little extra fun on the side. We were there for Christmas and New Years this past year at the Yacht Club and the Poly this past March each for week long trips and the only thing new to us is Pandora so I don't mind being out of the bubble here. After staying at the Poly it will be nice being at a resort with great service and rooms (I was not impressed with our stay at the Poly).

TrojanUSC

Thanks. We're not worried about having total Disney immersion this trip. I'll miss the magical express and being able to check our luggage at the hotel, but for this trip we're more about luxury and just spending time with each other and Disney happens to be a little extra fun on the side. We were there for Christmas and New Years this past year at the Yacht Club and the Poly this past March each for week long trips and the only thing new to us is Pandora so I don't mind being out of the bubble here. After staying at the Poly it will be nice being at a resort with great service and rooms (I was not impressed with our stay at the Poly).

The service at Disney deluxe hotels is a shell of what it once was. Heck, you can't even call the front desk from your room anymore to ask resort-specific questions. All calls to "the front desk" are routed through the central WDW operator who knows only basic theme park knowledge. To get anything more specific than that, she must get special permission to transfer you to your own hotel!

Part of the issue is they don't really select the "cream of the crop" to staff the deluxe hotels, which is how it should work. People with hospitality backgrounds and "Disney" personalities should be prioritized for Disney's best resorts but instead it's luck of the draw. Training is entirely now about magic bands and all other nonsense, when they really should start with the basics of how to make a guest feel welcome at a resort they're paying $500-700/night for.

Last edited:

durangojim

Original Poster
The service at Disney deluxe hotels is a shell of what it once was. Heck, you can't even call the front desk from your room anymore to ask resort-specific questions. All calls to "the front desk" are routed through the central WDW operator who knows only basic theme park knowledge. To get anything more specific than that, she must get special permission to transfer you to your own hotel!

Part of the issue is they don't really select the "cream of the crop" to staff the deluxe hotels, which is how it should work. People with hospitality backgrounds and "Disney" personalities should be prioritized for Disney's best resorts but instead it's luck of the draw. Training is entirely now about magic bands and all other nonsense, when they really should start with the basics of how to make a guest feel welcome at a resort they're paying $500-700/night for.
I agree completely. I can remember staying with my family at the GF in 1992 and the service and everything was top notch, but so was most of WDW. Even returning in 95 it was still great but it seemed like everything started declining and becoming more generic after 2000. Now your pretty much paying for location and a little bigger room at the deluxes.

Hockey89

This is true, but Disney never had the service the Four Seasons has..

TrojanUSC

This is true, but Disney never had the service the Four Seasons has..

Four Seasons was always pretty outstanding but Disney prides itself on service. Cast Members were trained to go out of their way to make a guest's day and provide individualized service. It just feels like both the operational needs combined with Disney's sadly low pay scale, that hasn't kept up with the market, has bought them a much inferior experience than they would have gotten fifteen or twenty years ago. Guests staying at a deluxe resort should get white glove service.

Last edited:

Hockey89

Four Seasons was always pretty outstanding but Disney prides itself on service. Cast Members were trained to go out of their way to make a guest's day and provide individualized service. It just feels like both the operational needs combined with Disney's sadly low pay scale, that hasn't kept up with the market, has bought them a much inferior experience than they would have gotten fifteen or twenty years ago. Guests staying at a deluxe resort should get white glove service.
I don't disagree, but having gone to Disney since 85 it was never the four seasons IMHO for service and décor of the resort.

epcotisbest

@durangojim here is something for you to look forward to. And this is only one of multiples pools, lazy river, etc...

Four Seasons.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks!

After that experience you will never be satisfied with a Disney Resort again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom