Stay at Contemporary, Poly or GF. what's your opinion?

tooltime

first time going with my two kids, 15 and 12. would like your here experience/opinions.

which might have the best view of MK?

thanks.

EMThompsen

GF is a bit stuffy for kids but very nice. Unless they're really into the Princess thang!
The Contemporary has a fantastic view of the MK if you can get a room facing it. & it's an easy walk to the MK. The Poly is more fun for Teenagers.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

GF is a bit stuffy for kids but very nice. Unless they're really into the Princess thang!
The Contemporary has a fantastic view of the MK if you can get a room facing it. & it's an easy walk to the MK. The Poly is more fun for Teenagers.

I have to disagree. I have three girls (11, 5, & 3) and we stay at the Grand Floridian every year and we don't find it stuffy at all. The cast members there are very nice and helpful. But I will admit, they are into the Princess thang! :lol: We also like staying there because we like being on the monorail and the MK is the first stop. They do offer rooms with great views of the MK and fireworks, but they are more money or you can view the fireworks from the dock.

Upvote 0

tooltime

Original Poster

can i ask why the Poly is more fun for teenagers?

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Having a view of the Magic Kingdom from the resort room is one of those things that sounds better on paper than it is in practice.
Suggest giving priority to the hotel ambience and features.
The Grand Floridian or the Polynesian would probably be prefereable to the Contemporary, unless having the monorail go right through the building is irresistibly exciting.
Good luck,
:)

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

The Poly is my favorite MK resort - as I said in your very similar thread. But I know you're going for the view. Both GF and Contemporary would offer a better view than the Poly - and I would definitely pick the Contemporary over GF. But view aside, The Poly "hands down." :)

Upvote 0

tooltime

Original Poster
thanks k.

The Poly is my favorite MK resort - as I said in your very similar thread. But I know you're going for the view. Both GF and Contemporary would offer a better view than the Poly - and I would definitely pick the Contemporary over GF. But view aside, The Poly "hands down." :)

thanks k.

i keep thinking to choose the Poly. i assume you've been there from reading other threads?

what do you like about it? anything advice you can give would be great, like:
staying in one Longhouse over another?

thanks, ron

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

thanks k.

i keep thinking to choose the Poly. i assume you've been there from reading other threads?

what do you like about it? anything advice you can give would be great, like:
staying in one Longhouse over another?

thanks, ron
It's my favorite resort and I've stayed in most all of them except AKL. Being on the monorail is wonderful - but you'd get that perk with the other two. I guess I just feel that the Poly is more... "up-beat." Not sure if that makes sense... but it's just more Disney to me. The Great Ceremonial House is more impressive than the lobbies of the GF and the Contemporary in my opinion - especially with the Kona Cafe.

We stayed in the Hawaii longhouse last time I believe. One of the most important resort features to us is a short walk to our room. With walking miles upon miles every day in the parks, the last thing I want is to walk 15 minutes just to get to my room. The Poly is rather compact - much more so than GF or WL. And our room was close to the lobby.

The pool is great. And I love to relax on a hammock on the beach in the evening and watch the water pageant go by. Our last stay at the Poly we paid a little extra (but still not as much as if we stayed in GF) for the Concierge level. I thought it was worth it. You are allowed entry into a room with snacks and drinks throughout the day and can watch the fireworks from there. We thought it was a nice, secret get-a-way. And of course the treatment you get when you're at that level is wonderful!

It's definitely our favorite resort - followed by POFQ actually.

Upvote 0

tooltime

Original Poster
It's my favorite resort and I've stayed in most all of them except AKL. Being on the monorail is wonderful - but you'd get that perk with the other two. I guess I just feel that the Poly is more... "up-beat." Not sure if that makes sense... but it's just more Disney to me. The Great Ceremonial House is more impressive than the lobbies of the GF and the Contemporary in my opinion - especially with the Kona Cafe.

We stayed in the Hawaii longhouse last time I believe. One of the most important resort features to us is a short walk to our room. With walking miles upon miles every day in the parks, the last thing I want is to walk 15 minutes just to get to my room. The Poly is rather compact - much more so than GF or WL. And our room was close to the lobby.

The pool is great. And I love to relax on a hammock on the beach in the evening and watch the water pageant go by. Our last stay at the Poly we paid a little extra (but still not as much as if we stayed in GF) for the Concierge level. I thought it was worth it. You are allowed entry into a room with snacks and drinks throughout the day and can watch the fireworks from there. We thought it was a nice, secret get-a-way. And of course the treatment you get when you're at that level is wonderful!

It's definitely our favorite resort - followed by POFQ actually.

thanks for the great advice...going right now to quote the Concierge level.

btw i am thinking of going the first couple weeks of oct.

Upvote 0

Citi

I've stayed in Poly and GF both with and without kids. My family prefers the Poly. The straight on view of the MK castle is a view we always look forward to. In addition, you can walk to the TTC and grab the monorails to Epcot very quickly. The walk is not at all. Kona Cafe is great for breakfast. be sure to try it one day even if you don't stay there. we are heading back first week of Dec and are once again at the Poly.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

first time going with my two kids, 15 and 12. would like your here experience/opinions.

which might have the best view of MK?

thanks.
If I had a choice, I would pick the Poly.
I just like the style & decor of the resort.
The GF is a little too frilly for me & the CR is a little too modern for my taste (but I would still stay at either one if given the chance - they are both very nice).
As far as the view, the GF has rooms w/ a castle view.:king:
The CR has the California Grill where you can eat a meal & then watch the fireworks from the MK (of course you don't have to stay at the CR to eat at the CA Grill).
:wave:

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Be aware, there is a drawback at Poly. You have to walk outside to get from your room to the main building, where the restaurants, shops and monorail are.

Of course, this is also true of most, but not all, of the rooms at GF. Particularly the rooms with the best view of MK.

It is possible to have to walk at the Contemporary, but most of the rooms are in the tower with all the rest of the main attractions of the resort.

Contemporary will give you the closest view of MK, if you get the Seven Seas lagoon side in the Tower (which is of course the most expensive.)

GF rooms with Seven Seas Lagoon view are the most expensive of all. This resort has the most restaurants, etc. and is the flagship on the property.

I've stayed in both and if money is no object, I'd go GF. But the Seven Seas lagoon view from Contemporary is pretty darn special, too.

Upvote 0

ryguy

The Poly is your best choice. They have remodeled rooms. The contemporary is a active construction zone. GF rooms have yet to be renovated recently like the Contemporary and Poly. The pool is best at the polynesian. Hope that helps.:wave:

Upvote 0

Jungle Skipper

Our troop has stayed at all 3...here are my thoughts

1. I felt out of place at the GF....specifically walking through the main building, sweating like a hog in shorts and a tshirt, right past a formal wedding party. Its a nice place, but I just didn't care for it.

2. We used to stay at the Contemporary all the time..every trip...it was home away from home. Then after one really bad experience we decided to go elsewhere. Always loved the atmosphere and the location can't be beat. But now with all the construction on the 4th floor and stuff, I am leary of staying there. If you go, definately stay in the tower.

3. My NEW home away from home is the Polynesian. We fell in love with this resort back in 2004 and I couldn't stay anywhere else. The ambiance, the location, the rooms and the cast just can't be beat.

Obviosuly, I'm a bit biased, but the Poly is the way to go if you ask me.

Cheers,
Josh

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

thanks for the great advice...going right now to quote the Concierge level.

btw i am thinking of going the first couple weeks of oct.
You're very welcome. Please let us know what you decide on. And... while you're at it... if you don't mind sharing the quote for a concierge level room I'd like to know it (you can PM it to me too, if you'd rather do that). After thinking about my resort preferences recently, I really think DH and I should start planning our next stay there! ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom