State of the parks

The_Jobu

Original Poster
I've seen voluminous reports on the state of the Disney parks, but what are things like in Universal for actual visitors?

Walkways seem less crowded than usual, how are wait times? Is staffing low with many shops and side activities closed? How's ride maintenance, show quality? Any progress on construction or things mostly paused?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Velocicoaster is going to open ASAP. I wouldn't be surprised to see it by spring break. I don't know WHY Disney takes forever and a day to build new rides. Granted, VC doesn't have a whole lot of theming and is kind of shoehorned into IOA but still...

JoeCamel

Velocicoaster is going to open ASAP. I wouldn't be surprised to see it by spring break. I don't know WHY Disney takes forever and a day to build new rides. Granted, VC doesn't have a whole lot of theming and is kind of shoehorned into IOA but still...

Not much theming......

discocenter.jpg

Credit @bioreconstruct

Tom Morrow

Ever since the holiday peak ended, the parks have been slow. They would have been slower anyway, but Universal is considerably more manageable now than it was for the past few months were it was becoming absolute madness. Perhaps its because the "buy a day, get the rest of the year" pass ended, which was a huge mistake and a knee-jerk reaction to the ghost town crowds of last June and July.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Ever since the holiday peak ended, the parks have been slow. They would have been slower anyway, but Universal is considerably more manageable now than it was for the past few months were it was becoming absolute madness. Perhaps its because the "buy a day, get the rest of the year" pass ended, which was a huge mistake and a knee-jerk reaction to the ghost town crowds of last June and July.

Is everything open in the park or a lot of closed shops?

JT3000

That’s like saying Rip, Ride, Rockit is themed because it passes through the pre-existing streets of “New York”.

At least it kept its rockwork, which (in my mind) leaves its theming better than Slinky Dog Dash.
Rockit isn't themed to New York, so it's not the same. That would be more like Velocicoaster running alongside Hogsmeade, although you're not going to see much of it given the speed & direction you're moving. Also, kept its rockwork? The rockwork is entirely new. I think some of you still don't grasp how themed this ride is. It may not be Thunder Mountain or Hagrid's, but it's arguably the most themed non-family coaster ever. And we haven't even seen the queue or show scenes.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
For whatever it's worth... I went to Universal about a day after they reopened. Staff was fantastic, park was empty, rides were great, everything was a walk on.

Then I went to Disney in August... Staff seemed consistently flustered, park guests seemed to be more rude, attractions we walk on (that was a plus), but something felt off at Disney compared to Universal. And I am by no means a Universal fan.

Tom Morrow

When the parks re-opened after shutdown, Universal was doing a fantastic job.

Disney re-opened and was doing a somewhat sloppy job.

However, things flipped. Universal took on more and more guests while letting their covid procedures go by the wayside. Universal just became more and more busy, uncontrolled, and miserable, while Disney tightened their COVID procedures. Disney has been, and still is, taking them more seriously than literally anywhere else you could go outside of a hospital.

Since the new year began, Universal's crowds have dipped back down to much more manageable levels. I suspect this is because their misguided, knee-jerk reaction "buy a day, get the rest of the year" promotion ended. I'd still try to avoid a Saturday if you can.

OG Runner

It is amazing though that we have not heard of any Covid cases directly related to either of the parks. It appears they are both
doing a good job.

Archie123

It is amazing though that we have not heard of any Covid cases directly related to either of the parks. It appears they are both
doing a good job.

Lol, they aren't. Just because you haven't heard that people haven't contracted CV directly from being in Disney/Universal doesn't mean that is hasn't happened. You would need contract tracing to occur and this typically doesn't happen. Based on what I saw at DS I would say that the virus has spread for sure.

OG Runner

Lol, they aren't. Just because you haven't heard that people haven't contracted CV directly from being in Disney/Universal doesn't mean that is hasn't happened. You would need contract tracing to occur and this typically doesn't happen. Based on what I saw at DS I would say that the virus has spread for sure.

You don't think if someone even thought they got Covid from the parks that they wouldn't report it?
What did you see at DS that would lead you to conclude the virus has spread, (for sure)?

Archie123

You don't think if someone even thought they got Covid from the parks that they wouldn't report it?
What did you see at DS that would lead you to conclude the virus has spread, (for sure)?

Sure they would but that doesn't mean that we would find out. With the amount of people walking around the parks and DS and with the very lax enforcement especially at DS the chances of someone catching CV is very good.

OG Runner

Sure they would but that doesn't mean that we would find out. With the amount of people walking around the parks and DS and with the very lax enforcement especially at DS the chances of someone catching CV is very good.
Still sounds more like a feeling than a "for sure" fact. Honestly appreciate the observation.
Sounds like more caution should be practice if we go to DS.

Archie123

Still sounds more like a feeling than a "for sure" fact. Honestly appreciate the observation.
Sounds like more caution should be practice if we go to DS.

Disney Springs CV safety protocols are more theater these days. Masks are either not worn at all or or worn below the nose/mouth. At busy times there is no social distancing and people are just sometimes shoulder to shoulder in areas that bottleneck. It is a total joke.

rangerbob

Disney Springs CV safety protocols are more theater these days. Masks are either not worn at all or or worn below the nose/mouth. At busy times there is no social distancing and people are just sometimes shoulder to shoulder in areas that bottleneck. It is a total joke.
Part of why I have no urge to go back to DTD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom