STAR WARS

ELG13

Original Poster
I've never seen a single scene of any Star Wars movie. The closest I've been is Space Balls. We have Disney plus so I know we have the options and we are doing our annual trip to WDW In May and plan on swinging through Stars wars while there. I'd like to understand at least a little of what the land is about so when we see things I know what's going on. I want to be able to appreciate it. That being said, where should I start with all the movies and series?

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Personally I would start with original trilogy: A New Hope, then Empire Strikes Back and then Return of the Jedi.

Then I would would watch the sequel trilogy: The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and then Rise of Skywalker.

If you truly want completeness then I would say the prequel trilogy: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and the Revenge of the Sith.

I would highly recommend Rogue One as well but would say to say to skip Solo. I would perhaps do Rogue One last to bring it all full circle as it takes place timeline-wise just before the events of A New Hope.

ELG13

Original Poster
I know the movie were not made chronologically.....would that be a good way to watch them??

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
I know the movie were not made chronologically.....would that be a good way to watch them??

There are 2 main schools of thought on this.

1) Order of theatrical release so 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9 or

2) chronically so 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Both are perfectly valid.

I would say that the only thing you really *have* to do is watch each individual trilogy in order. (So 4,5,6 not 4,6,5 etc.)

My suggestion is a little less mainstream. Especially in preparation for a Disney trip, I feel like 1,2,3 is the least important set. I would watch them last only if time and or interest allows.

Really there’s no wrong answer. I actually watched 4 then 6 then 5 as a kid and many decades later I’m still a fan.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy them. 🙂

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I've never seen a single scene of any Star Wars movie. The closest I've been is Space Balls. We have Disney plus so I know we have the options and we are doing our annual trip to WDW In May and plan on swinging through Stars wars while there. I'd like to understand at least a little of what the land is about so when we see things I know what's going on. I want to be able to appreciate it. That being said, where should I start with all the movies and series?

As someone who isn't really a SW fan, I recommend the Lego Star Wars series. They follow the main plot points of the movies mostly, introduce you to all the characters, and they're legit funny. Like for adults and kids, they're entertaining and funny.

I found that I enjoyed the regular movies more after watching the Lego series because the movies answered questions I had from the series, and the series was just infinitely more fun to sit through.

ELG13

Original Poster
As someone who isn't really a SW fan, I recommend the Lego Star Wars series. They follow the main plot points of the movies mostly, introduce you to all the characters, and they're legit funny. Like for adults and kids, they're entertaining and funny.

I found that I enjoyed the regular movies more after watching the Lego series because the movies answered questions I had from the series, and the series was just infinitely more fun to sit through.
I actually really like this idea lol!!! I've never had any desire to watch SW but wanted to understand the gist of what we would see and experience while there!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I actually really like this idea lol!!! I've never had any desire to watch SW but wanted to understand the gist of what we would see and experience while there!

The best part is that if you watch them with someone who IS into Star Wars, they enjoy them too.

The Roger shorts are funny as well, but I cannot remember what they're officially called. They basically retell a lot of main events from SW but from the perspective of Roger the bumbling robot

lazyboy97o

Honesty, watching the movies isn’t really going to tell you much about Galaxy’s Edge unless you become really invested and go beyond the movies. The setting of the land never shows up in the movies and many of the characters are also not in the movies.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Honesty, watching the movies isn’t really going to tell you much about Galaxy’s Edge unless you become really invested and go beyond the movies. The setting of the land never shows up in the movies and many of the characters are also not in the movies.

This is a really good point as well. We enjoyed SW land without having background knowledge in SW. It's like any desert outpost you'd see in movies like this. Heck, with a cast change it could easily be turned into WaterWorld land or ThunderDome land. What's that movie with the Spyce and the giant worm thing? That could work too.

KellBelle

Ok, so I know this I am one of a few lol but I cannot stand Star Wars, any of it! I think it's pretty much the worst thing ever lol, BUT when we went this past December, I was with 5 others, all huge SW fans. I thought Galaxy's Edge was beautifully done and honestly, I think I liked it better because I really did not associate it with SW, I just felt like I was not in FL anymore, if that makes sense. I was totally transported to another place. My point is, I think you will enjoy it, even without vast knowledge of SW. ;)

ELG13

Original Poster
Aside from Hans, the princess and chewie....I know no one. But I don't have a desire to watch the movies so if I can appreciate it without watching the. I'd be ok with that too!

ELG13

Original Poster
Ok, so I know this I am one of a few lol but I cannot stand Star Wars, any of it! I think it's pretty much the worst thing ever lol, BUT when we went this past December, I was with 5 others, all huge SW fans. I thought Galaxy's Edge was beautifully done and honestly, I think I liked it better because I really did not associate it with SW, I just felt like I was not in FL anymore, if that makes sense. I was totally transported to another place. My point is, I think you will enjoy it, even without vast knowledge of SW. ;)
That's good to know. Everyone looks at me like I have 5 heads when I tell them I've never seen them. I have desire to. I think it's awesome that the franchise is so popular, but it's never made me want to watch. We were contemplating watching the Mandelorian (sp??) because people have told us it's a good series even for non SW people but...we havent tried to yet. Baby Yoda is so stinking cute though!

ELG13

Original Poster
At the end of the day, Galaxy's Edge was created for anyone from anywhere to become immersed in a different universe. You don't have to be a Star Wars encyclopedia to enjoy it. You might have questions about certain characters you see either in costume or during an attraction like Rise Of The Resistance, but that's natural. Generally, anyone can enjoy themselves there without any prior knowledge of SW. Galaxy's Edge or "Black Spire" is basically an outpost on a distant planet that was recently created for guests to immerse themselves and have fun.

Consider this: You don't need to have any knowledge of Fantasia to enjoy Fantasmic. You don't have to watch Avatar to enjoy Flight of Avatar or enjoy the wild flora from the world of Pandora. Is it cool to watch films and have some sense of appreciation? Yeah, but is it necessary? Absolutely not. They design these places so you can just be yourself and enjoy them. They don't want anyone stressing about what they don't know, they want you to smell the yummy food and focus on pretty things.
Thank you!! I guess I fluctuate between wanting to be immersed and just wanting to appreciate it at face value. I know about all of the MK stuff for the most part, even if it's just basic info. I feel so clueless about the other places lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom