Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon

SSG

The people who spend thousands to travel, actually train hard, and compete to earn this thing at the parks are the real losers.

When everyone's special, no one is.
When my niece was 7, I took her to her first soccer practice with a new team. The coaches were clear on how everyone would play a lot, and then hit us up for money to buy year-end trophies for all the kids. Just for taking part. They also asked for suggestions on what to call the team.

I suggested the Participants.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I always thought the best team name was "Nobody". That way the game schedule would say "Killer Soccer team vs Nobody". Even better when we won. We can say "Nobody" won or "Killer Soccer team beat Nobody".

mickEblu

Stop giving them ideas!

It would be interesting to see how they could control traffic flow for APs with those kind of offerings. For example when SWL opens, offer limited time medals/ collectibles for DCA rides. Or at DL limited time stuff for Tomorrowland rides.

Phroobar

Original Poster
There is this guy on the run Disney thread that actually defends virtual races. I guess he likes paying for his participant medals.

TP2000

This is genius: "Go jogging on your own and send us $59."

I thought it was a joke at first. I had to go to the official website, confirm I really was on a Disney owned URL, and then read it twice before I understood that it's exactly as you just described.

It's a combination of ultimate consumer stupidity and brilliant marketing. But I have to laugh that they are still able to pull this off without any help (or non-help as it were) from the cranky City of Anaheim. This is stupid, but also very funny.

Curious Constance

Ever notice how the participant trophies are bigger than the championship trophies in AYSO soccer?
I don't think I've ever noticed anything related to soccer.

My kids never played.

My son is in the talented and gifted program at school. When I was a kid that actually meant something. I wasn't in it, but I remember there was an entirely special class for those kids. Now for him, they barely can get me paperwork about the program, and it appears the specifics are very wishy washy and not much to it anymore. Too afraid of upsetting the kids who don't qualify I guess. :bored:

Curious Constance

I thought it was a joke at first. I had to go to the official website, confirm I really was on a Disney owned URL, and then read it twice before I understood that it's exactly as you just described.

It's a combination of ultimate consumer stupidity and brilliant marketing. But I have to laugh that they are still able to pull this off without any help (or non-help as it were) from the cranky City of Anaheim. This is stupid, but also very funny.

I thought it was a joke too. Send $60 and run at home on your own time, or don't run at all, who cares? And we'll send you a shiny medal that shows you participated and completed a half marathon!

LOLOLOLOL

Antaundra

I wish Disney would give awards for eating. “Purchase Your corn dog medal here.” Seriously though, I think that’s an untapped market. That and ride medals. “Ride POTC 5 times today for your limited edition POTC Dubloon.” Sorry.. I’m letting my inner Chapek loose.
Then Disney can create a virtual day at Disneyland. For just $80 you can spend your day standing in lines at your local grocery store and Disney will send you your ride medals.

Curious Constance

Then Disney can create a virtual day at Disneyland. For just $80 you can spend your day standing in lines at your local grocery store and Disney will send you your ride medals.
If you act now and shell out an extra $25 you can download exclusive attraction soundtracks to listen to while in line at the grocery store! Complete with annoying people gabbing during the ride music, a wife yelling at her husband, and of course, baby cries!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom