News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Missing20K

A new permit was filed with the FDEP

t98v3F0.png

I'm looking but can't seem to find the permit. If anyone wants to link the PDF files that would awesome.

I really want that revit file. Then I wouldn't have to make my own model from the PDFs. :cool:

NickC

I'm looking but can't seem to find the permit. If anyone wants to link the PDF files that would awesome.

I really want that revit file. Then I wouldn't have to make my own model from the PDFs. :cool:

Sadly there's no way to directly link to the PDF, but if you follow the link below and click the big button that says "PUBLIC OCULUS LOGIN" it should take you directly to the .zip file that contains the permit filing. Clicking the zip file icon under the "File Type" header will download the file:

https://depedms.dep.state.fl.us:443....730242.1]&[profile=Permitting_Authorization]

Missing20K

Sadly there's no way to directly link to the PDF, but if you follow the link below and click the big button that says "PUBLIC OCULUS LOGIN" it should take you directly to the .zip file that contains the permit filing. Clicking the zip file icon under the "File Type" header will download the file:

https://depedms.dep.state.fl.us:443....730242.1]&[profile=Permitting_Authorization]

Ahh, that might have been why, I was only looking at the PDF entries.

Thank you! You're a gentleman and a scholar!

Movielover

I wonder what the exterior will look like. Will you arrive to what looks like a small shuttle and the rest of the hotel will be obscured?

I'm thinking the exterior, or at least the entrance side will be modern architecture, maybe a little bit to pass as a cruise line port.
1542321325547.png

Although I wouldn't mind a building like Star Tours in Japan.

1542321437849.png

Heck they can even use the Star Tours name as the cruise company.
I'm just super excited for this!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A new permit was filed with the FDEP last week that contains some exciting new details about this hotel and answers some the hotly debated questions about its layout, number of rooms and how transportation will work. I wrote a little article about it, and I hope it's okay to link to it here. I'll also provide most of the interesting details so you don't have to leave WDWMagic to get the scoop:

https://www.californiacoasterkings.com/new-permit-reveals-star-wars-hotel-details/

The first thing to keep in mind is that these are 50% Design Development drawings from the Site Development package, so there's a good chance that things could change as the drawings are finalized - but they definitely paint a much clearer picture of the resort than we've seen before.

CKj1hem.png

Another fun tidbit is that this is, I think, the first official reference to the "H" in Project H standing for "Hubble":

t98v3F0.png

Starting with the arrival experience, it looks like you'll be processed through security as soon as you arrive. I'd imagine this whole area will be themed to futuristic type of airport/space port, so all the security can easily be heavily themed and explained away as part of the departure experience of leaving Earth. After security it looks like you'll go through a series of rooms with show elements including the "elevator" that takes you to the ship. It'll be interesting to see if the elevator takes guests staying on the second floor up one level and through a duplicate set of the post-elevator rooms, or if it'll just dump everyone out on the same level, à la the Hydrolators.

RNzFxHu.jpg

2umOpGD.jpg

After that you're out in the ship. The first level contains a Table Service Restaurant, a Buffet, the Brig, an Engineering Room and a Dojo, as well as access to the Transportation Hall - more on that later. The Dojo has a mechanical room attached to it, so there's likely going to be some kind of show elements involved here, maybe something like The Jedi Training Academy? No idea what the Engineering room could be for, and I love the idea of the ship having a Brig - could be some fun storylines involving that!

vynNfIp.jpg

The Cabin area is next, and according to these plans there are 34 cabins on the first level, with 32 of them being standard sized and 2 of them being larger 1st Class Cabins. If this same layout is mirrored on the second level, then this hotel might only have 68 guest rooms! Although, I'd imagine there will be more guest rooms on the second level occupying the space taken up by the arrival area and the large BOH F&B offices/kitchen on the first floor. But even at that, they'll probably only be able to squeeze in an additional 20-30 rooms, putting the possible total at under 100 rooms.

TKlgv5m.jpg

Last but not least is the Transportation area. It should come as no surprise that shuttle buses will be used to get guests to and from the park, but it looks like the boarding experience will at least be neat, with a jet bridge/gangway that attaches to the side of the shuttle. If guests staying at this resort will be allowed to venture off to any of the other parks during their Star Wars experience, it definitely won't be via this transportation area, as it looks like it'll only accommodate the special buses for this hotel.

ZehLLjK.jpg

Anyway, that's pretty much it for my commentary. I'm sure you all will dig through these images and find other cool stuff to talk and speculate about. I can't wait to see how this whole project pans out!
Nice work. This is on par with the guys who figured out what the gondolas were well before Disney wanted the word out. :)

IanDLBZF

Last but not least is the Transportation area. It should come as no surprise that shuttle buses will be used to get guests to and from the park, but it looks like the boarding experience will at least be neat, with a jet bridge/gangway that attaches to the side of the shuttle. If guests staying at this resort will be allowed to venture off to any of the other parks during their Star Wars experience, it definitely won't be via this transportation area, as it looks like it'll only accommodate the special buses for this hotel.

ZehLLjK.jpg
So that means the bus loops at the other parks (i.e. MK, EC, AK) along with Disney Springs would have to be modified to allow for the use of the special buses unless a second bus stop is being added to the front of the resort and the existing bus fleet would be used?

NickC

So that means the bus loops at the other parks (i.e. MK, EC, AK) along with Disney Springs would have to be modified to allow for the use of the special buses unless a second bus stop is being added to the front of the resort and the existing bus fleet would be used?

It's more likely that there will be no transport to/from this resort to/from any of the other parks. When this was first announced, it was touted as being a "100% immersive" multi-day experience and having a story that "touched every single minute" of your day. So if they remain true to that, it wouldn't make much sense to break that immersion by having guests visit the other parks.

Whether or not it'll be mandatory to participate in the story for your entire stay is still unknown. I don't think they could do much to stop you from exiting Hollywood Studios and catching the Skyliner over to Epcot or taking a bus from the DHS transport hub to another park. As long as you return to Galaxy's Edge to catch a shuttle back to the resort by end of the day it shouldn't matter - but you'd just be robbing yourself of whatever exploration, missions or story elements that will be part of the in-park experience - something you've paid an exorbitant amount of money to be a part of, so why do it?

Doing it this way definitely presents a problem when trying to market and sell this experience to your average family who have members of their party who just aren't that into Star Wars and/or just want to go to Walt Disney World for their annual family vacation. I know this has probably already been discussed ad nauseam, but I can see this being sold in two main ways:

1.) First and foremost as an experience only for the die-hard fans of Star Wars. Make it loud and clear right upfront that this is not a typical WDW Vacation, and you'll be "leaving" Earth/WDW and only be experiencing Star Wars on your 2 or 3 day stay. If you want to see the rest of the resort, extend your vacation and stay elsewhere after you "return" back to Earth.
2.) As a vacation add-on/upgrade for the Star Wars enthusiasts of your party. If your whole family is staying for a week or more at another on-property resort, pay $xxxx for the ultimate Star Wars adventure - Dad and little Billy can spend a couple of days away living their best Star Wars lives and Mom and little Suzy can coordinate their DHS day around when they'll be doing the in-park experience.

It's definitely an interesting new concept, and one I'm sure they're still trying to figure out all the logistics of.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's more likely that there will be no transport to/from this resort to/from any of the other parks. When this was first announced, it was touted as being a "100% immersive" multi-day experience and having a story that "touched every single minute" of your day. So if they remain true to that, it wouldn't make much sense to break that immersion by having guests visit the other parks.

Whether or not it'll be mandatory to participate in the story for your entire stay is still unknown. I don't think they could do much to stop you from exiting Hollywood Studios and catching the Skyliner over to Epcot or taking a bus from the DHS transport hub to another park. As long as you return to Galaxy's Edge to catch a shuttle back to the resort by end of the day it shouldn't matter - but you'd just be robbing yourself of whatever exploration, missions or story elements that will be part of the in-park experience - something you've paid an exorbitant amount of money to be a part of, so why do it?

Doing it this way definitely presents a problem when trying to market and sell this experience to your average family who have members of their party who just aren't that into Star Wars and/or just want to go to Walt Disney World for their annual family vacation. I know this has probably already been discussed ad nauseam, but I can see this being sold in two main ways:

1.) First and foremost as an experience only for the die-hard fans of Star Wars. Make it loud and clear right upfront that this is not a typical WDW Vacation, and you'll be "leaving" Earth/WDW and only be experiencing Star Wars on your 2 or 3 day stay. If you want to see the rest of the resort, extend your vacation and stay elsewhere after you "return" back to Earth.
2.) As a vacation add-on/upgrade for the Star Wars enthusiasts of your party. If your whole family is staying for a week or more at another on-property resort, pay $xxxx for the ultimate Star Wars adventure - Dad and little Billy can spend a couple of days away living their best Star Wars lives and Mom and little Suzy can coordinate their DHS day around when they'll be doing the in-park experience.

It's definitely an interesting new concept, and one I'm sure they're still trying to figure out all the logistics of.

I think they will still be figuring out the logistics well after it opens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they will still be figuring out the logistics well after it opens.
Agreed. It’s a first of its kind concept...something Disney historically prided itself on...they will figure it out :)

On something like buses it’s easy to always add later. They could even have the special Star Wars shuttle just take guests to the DHS bus station if there’s a demand to go elsewhere. You also always have the Minnie vans too. If you can afford this hotel for a few nights you can afford a Disney Uber to one of the parks or DS.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Other random observations from the drawing.

1) note that the guest rooms do not show a typical swing door... but what looks to represent a sliding door. Remember how some insisted it couldn’t be done?

2) the left side of the restaurant in the drawing would appear to be the stage area. But interestingly there is no service or other out of sight access to it. A dinner show element was a big part of the pitch and classic Disney element... so there has to be something of that type around. Note the slide door or curtain entrances on the sides?.. maybe characters would enter similar to how they do the sw stage show in dhs

3) looks like the restaurant has a recessed main area... one step down on the far right side near the buffet.. and an accessible ramp along the side. So the main seating area is lower, with the booths lining the upper ring on the sides

4) The cabins have 3 different sizes... standard, the 'first class' cabins, and some that are slightly smaller adjacent to the FC cabins. It looks like the rooms are roughly 12'x28' for the smaller rooms.. and the middle size being roughly 11'6 x28'. That puts the most common room at roughly 334sqft - That's the average Deluxe Room size on property... and significantly bigger than the cruise ship rooms.

Also note the bathrooms are not shown in the diagram. The drawings are not complete... but maybe this could suggest the rooms will be modular installs like the cruise cabins.

5) It's interesting to note they show 'shuttle parking' near the end of the building.. and the shuttles will run all the way around the building to the 'dock' which is furthest from the entrance way.

6) The 'admin building' shown on the plot is nearly half the footprint of the big building.. that's a big mystery to me what's going on over there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Other random observations from the drawing.

1) note that the guest rooms do not show a typical swing door... but what looks to represent a sliding door. Remember how some insisted it couldn’t be done?

2) the left side of the restaurant in the drawing would appear to be the stage area. But interestingly there is no service or other out of sight access to it. A dinner show element was a big part of the pitch and classic Disney element... so there has to be something of that type around. Note the slide door or curtain entrances on the sides?.. maybe characters would enter similar to how they do the sw stage show in dhs

3) looks like the restaurant has a recessed main area... one step down on the far right side near the buffet.. and an accessible ramp along the side. So the main seating area is lower, with the booths lining the upper ring on the sides

4) The cabins have 3 different sizes... standard, the 'first class' cabins, and some that are slightly smaller adjacent to the FC cabins. It looks like the rooms are roughly 12'x28' for the smaller rooms.. and the middle size being roughly 11'6 x28'. That puts the most common room at roughly 334sqft - That's the average Deluxe Room size on property... and significantly bigger than the cruise ship rooms.

Also note the bathrooms are not shown in the diagram. The drawings are not complete... but maybe this could suggest the rooms will be modular installs like the cruise cabins.

5) It's interesting to note they show 'shuttle parking' near the end of the building.. and the shuttles will run all the way around the building to the 'dock' which is furthest from the entrance way.

6) The 'admin building' shown on the plot is nearly half the footprint of the big building.. that's a big mystery to me what's going on over there.

The interactive experience they are going for would be pretty heavy in entertainment CM's which is probably a lot of what the admin building is for.

sedati

1) Not sure if I was first, but back on July 2nd I pitched the concept of them loading a bus from the hotel interior that would mimic a shuttle ala Hogwarts Express as it took you into the park. The idea was also shot down.

5) My assumption was that the area labeled "shuttle parking" was just where they would be kept when not in use. It would also make sense for them to have a spare in case of any problems.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
1) Not sure if I was first, but back on July 2nd I pitched the concept of them loading a bus from the hotel interior that would mimic a shuttle ala Hogwarts Express as it took you into the park. The idea was also shot down.

5) My assumption was that the area labeled "shuttle parking" was just where they would be kept when not in use. It would also make sense for them to have a spare in case of any problems.

Not sure why anyone would have shot that idea down, since to me it always seemed to be the most likely way they were going to handle transportation.

I agree on #5. There is also a door from the admin building right into that shuttle parking area.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Not sure why anyone would have shot that idea down, since to me it always seemed to be the most likely way they were going to handle transportation.

I agree on #5. There is also a door from the admin building right into that shuttle parking area.
A shuttle bus always seemed most practical to me too although an elevated walkway seemed possible as well. A ride system like the Hogwarts Express or a people mover, which were both also suggested earlier, seemed pretty unlikely. Especially now knowing it’s most likely 100 rooms or less, that’s a max of 400 guests assuming full occupancy and they won’t all be going to SW:GE at the same time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The interactive experience they are going for would be pretty heavy in entertainment CM's which is probably a lot of what the admin building is for.

Still the style of the rooms stands out to me. So many smaller rooms... I've not laid out such a building before, but still seems awful heavy to me compared to simply having some costuming areas, tech areas, dressing rooms, and some admin space. And why have it in a separate building when you're starting from scratch?

The building's (lack of) scale seems very intentional... I wonder what they are constrained by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom