News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Lets Respect

Ah, I thought you meant just Mom or Dad was interested and that 5 were tagging along!

Although I would leave it until the kids were old enough to follow and understand an evolving storyline. When you said 3little kids I was envisaging a 2, 3 and 5 year old.

You're right I did say small kids.

Let's say it's a family with a 10 yo, 8 yo and a 3 yo and a Grandma. My point was that I don't think families are going to break up their travel party for this, so I expect the resort to have a lot of little kids (and Grandmas!)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think families are going to break up their travel party for this.

Let's say you're a family with 3 small kids and a grandma flying in, you're all going to fly in, do the SW resort, then move on to another resort for the rest of the week
I agree on not splitting up. I think most families will be fine with splitting up for a few hours or maybe a day, but multiple days and nights seems much less likely. IMHO, Its more likely that if a family with 3 small kids and a grandma is going to WDW they would just skip this experience instead of paying for half the people to go and not really use it. Maybe try it on a later trip without granny and/or when the kids get older or maybe just mom and dad for a quick several day getaway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You're right I did say small kids.

Let's say it's a family with a 10 yo, 8 yo and a 3 yo and a Grandma. My point was that I don't think families are going to break up their travel party for this, so I expect the resort to have a lot of little kids (and Grandmas!)

And let's say grandma or the 8 y.o. isn't interested in the role play. What are they going to do for two days? How does this scenario work out from their perspective?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And let's say grandma or the 8 y.o. isn't interested in the role play. What are they going to do for two days? How does this scenario work out from their perspective?
2 days is way to long to ask a family member to “suck it up” and go with what the majority is doing. Making your 10 year old son go to a princess character meal for an hour is pretty standard if it’s a mixed group, but multiple days and nights isn’t fair or right to do...and that’s not even taking into account the thousands of dollars you would literally be wasting. Will some people do that anyway, sure. Will the majority of guests, no way. Especially not when you are paying $1K+ per person.

Lensman

Have we been reduced to arguing the straw grandma? lol

Let's talk about the ways arguing about this straw man scenario is wrong:
1. It's probably a small subset of people who are the target audience for this experience. Now we've got 2 parents and 3 kids, all Star Wars fans, with one grandmother who is not a Star Wars fan. So unlikeliness #1 is a family of 5. 6% of U.S. households are families of 5.
2. All 5 are Star Wars fans - 5%.
2. Why is grandma not a Star Wars fan? 50%
3. Why is grandma not interested in watching her son/daughter and grandkids running around playing? Isn't this 90% of being a grandma?
4. Sadly, grandma is widowed - 45%
5. Family is rich enough to pay for grandma to participate in the Star Wars Experience - 2%

Back of the envelope calculation says that there are about 150 households that we are talking about or about one is a million.

Back to #3: Wait a minute this is a grandma who is somehow a Disney fan so they're happier to sit and wait on a hot park bench in Toy Story Land for the parents and kids to finish riding Slinky Dog Dash? I think we're down to 15 households now! :)

Lets Respect

My point was that people are going to come to this resort with their travel party of whatever configuration. I don’t see families breaking up their group for days to do this. So yes there will be “Grandmas and little kids” (aka the uninterested) there.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My point was that families are going to come to this resort with their travel party of whatever configuration. I don’t see families breaking up their group for days to do this. So yes there will be “Grandmas and little kids” (aka the uninterested) there.

K. And again, I ask: from the point of view of the family members who don't care what's happening, what are they doing for two days in the resort and what will their reaction be to two days of doing nothing?

Lets Respect

K. And again, I ask: from the point of view of the family members who don't care what's happening, what are they doing for two days in the resort and what will their reaction be to two days of doing nothing?

Why would they be doing nothing? I assume there will be a pool and restaurants just like any other resort. Maybe a kids club or activity center

Kamikaze

Well if they are truly uninterested, then can leave. Disney just isn't going to provide means for them to leave, and they're wasting a ton of money on stuff they aren't going to do.

Theres also a huge difference between not being fans of SW and just refusing to play along/partake in the activities. You don't have to be a fan of the series to get into a VR sim and blow up some TIEs or to sit in a themed restaurant (just like a character meal).

Lets Respect

There is the problem. You can’t assume this will be “just like any other resort.” That was not the original intent of this project.

What the original intent is and what it actually turns out to be are two different things.

Does anyone really think that everyone staying there is going to be fully into it? That there aren’t going to be babies and toddlers there?

peter11435

What the original intent is and what it actually turns out to be are two different things.

Does anyone really think that everyone staying there is going to be fully into it? That there aren’t going to be babies and toddlers there?
We don’t yet know specifics about what they will actually build and open. At this point all that we can go by is what the original intent was.

Do you really think anyone would pay over $1000 per person for an experience they aren’t fully into?

Lets Respect

We don’t yet know specifics about what they will actually build and open. At this point all that we can go by is what the original intent was.

Do you really think anyone would pay over $1000 per person for an experience they aren’t fully into?

I can’t speak to the money side of it. To some folks that is a drop in the bucket. My only point was that I don’t see family groups breaking up their travel party for days to do this. So I do think there will be a lot of little kids and “Grandmas” there just like every resort

Pixieish

I can’t speak to the money side of it. To some folks that is a drop in the bucket. My only point was that I don’t see family groups breaking up their travel party for days to do this. So I do think there will be a lot of little kids and “Grandmas” there just like every resort
Actually, I CAN see families splitting up their time so that the family members who really want to will have a chance to experience it while the rest of the family stays elsewhere and does their own thing...especially when you consider that for many families, paying for everyone to do this who isn't really into it isn't a viable option.

For example, our family of 4 has 1 hard core fan (hubby), 1 medium-level fan (me), and our 2 boys love Star Wars (mostly because of Lego), but they wouldn't freak out that they didn't get to do an immersive weekend. Where we aren't bathing ourselves in money, I would be more than happy to take the boys and spend a few days at a value resort and do the parks with them while hubby and his brother or whoever do the immersive resort for a couple of days and then join us afterwards. Do I want to experience it? HELL TO THE YES. But I'm happy to wait so hubby can do it first.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My only point was that there will be people staying there who aren’t 100% into it. There will be babies and toddlers there. There will be bored grandparents lol

That's fine, as long as they know and accept it.

Others in this thread seem to insist that somehow this resort cater to them, too as if it were just any old resort. Or that they should use this resort like any old resort that just so happens to be decorated in a SW theme and Disney must cater to their wish to make it so.

That's not what this is. And as long as people know that and accept it, that's fine.

But you know that those who aren't into it and show up anyway will come to these forums and complain bitterly that they spent $2,000 for nothing, eve if they're loaded, right?

Ripken10

My only point was that there will be people staying there who aren’t 100% into it. There will be babies and toddlers there. There will be bored grandparents lol
I think it is going to be extremely hard to get a room in this resort...therefore it will weed most of those people out. This does not have to be targeted towards families. They can fill this if done right with another segment of the population.

Lensman

I can only speak to the money side of it. We're not paying $1000 for anyone in my family to go who is not going to try to be into it! Mrs. "Who's Yoda?" Lensman will not be going unless she gets with the program. So until this is resolved, no one will be going.

So no, I don't think there will be that many Grandmas there who aren't willing to play along. Even if I can reprogram my wife, I've put my foot down that we're not taking any of the stick-in-the-mud in-laws. Either that or we're not going.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Have we been reduced to arguing the straw grandma? lol
I think that the fact that we have had multiple people with polar opposite opinions posting in the past few hours about whether they would split their party or bring the hypothetical “Star Wars hating granny” with them proves this isn’t a straw man argument. Many people travel to WDW with extended families and people of varying ages and interests. This is a very real issue Disney needs to consider and I’m sure they have a plan or at the very least a team working on a plan. A lot of it comes down t how they market it.
My only point was that there will be people staying there who aren’t 100% into it. There will be babies and toddlers there. There will be bored grandparents
You are probably correct based on past history at WDW but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt that maybe this will be different. I honestly believe that people bringing babies and toddlers should be discouraged (I know Disney will never ban it completely because of PR). Everything doesn’t have to be for toddlers and if the place is clogged up with mega strollers and 3 year olds looking for autographs it will take away from other guest’s experience. I say this as a parent of 2 kids who were toddlers not so long ago. When my kids were toddlers they would have been more than happy with the SW meet and greets and rides in the parks. (This is where someone posts how their special snowflake was so into Star Wars at 18 months and would love to go to a place like this). I know by posting this I’m making a generalization and there are exceptions but on average this type of experience is really not for the preschool and under crowd...the vast majority of WDW is so they aren’t hurting for stuff to do.

I don’t blame parents for not wanting to separate from their party for multiple days, but kids grow up fast and it won’t be long before they will be old enough to enjoy and play along so maybe just wait a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom