• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Star Wars themed resort confirmed

Texas84

Premium Member
Maybe they could provide different levels of immersion. Total immersion for the hardcore LARPers and another for the "I just want to be in a cool looking Star Wars hotel" crowd.

Progress.City

My guess is that there will be a walkway from within the hotel to SWGE. The resort wouldn’t be “connected” if there weren’t. A bus from the restort entrance to the park entrance would not be an immersive experience, as guests would leave the Star Wars universe and enter back into it multiple times.

Maybe the plans do not yet show this project. It could be added as a separate project to be built after the hotel itself. My guess is an enclosed pedestrian sky bridge with no moving sidewalks or peoplemovers but with theming and special effects within it.

Just look at what Disney is doing in California, with its pedestrian skybridge connecting the new parking structure to the parks and Downtown Disney for a hint of what they could be up to. The distance for walking is longer (I think) for the California bridge, which means Disney is too cheap to add moving sidewalks or people movers in general to their projects, especially for such a sky bridge project in Florida. The enclosure and theming is something they have to do by default in order to keep the whole thing immersive.

Incomudro

Maybe they could provide different levels of immersion. Total immersion for the hardcore LARPers and another for the "I just want to be in a cool looking Star Wars hotel" crowd.
They have to.
Within a family, all guests might not want the same experience.
What if Grandma comes along, but would rather be left alone?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
These are the plans for the hotel from a South Florida water management district permit that was filed today. We can see that the end of the DHS lot will be the parking for the hotel. The plans do not show any direct connection to the park.
While reviewing this permit further, I found this....

"The current schedule proposes to begin construction in late 2018 and complete work in 2020."

LieutLaww

No one's ever really gone
Premium Member
Yea you don't bring someone along to something where they will be immersed in something if its not something they are interested in

seascape

I think the best way to plan for the Star Wars hotel is to have those interested in staying and experiencing it to do that at the start of your regular trip for a few days and then have the rest of the family come for the majority in another resort.

Lets Respect

I don't think families are going to break up their travel party for this.

Let's say you're a family with 3 small kids and a grandma flying in, you're all going to fly in, do the SW resort, then move on to another resort for the rest of the week

nickys

Premium Member

Let's say you're a family with 3 small kids and a grandma flying in, you're all going to fly in, do the SW resort, then move on to another resort for the rest of the week
At $1000 per person? Or more...!

nickys

Premium Member
Sure. Who would they leave out in my hypothetical, assuming they want all three kids to have the experience?
Ah, I thought you meant just Mom or Dad was interested and that 5 were tagging along!

Although I would leave it until the kids were old enough to follow and understand an evolving storyline. When you said 3little kids I was envisaging a 2, 3 and 5 year old.

Lets Respect

Ah, I thought you meant just Mom or Dad was interested and that 5 were tagging along!

Although I would leave it until the kids were old enough to follow and understand an evolving storyline. When you said 3little kids I was envisaging a 2, 3 and 5 year old.
You're right I did say small kids.

Let's say it's a family with a 10 yo, 8 yo and a 3 yo and a Grandma. My point was that I don't think families are going to break up their travel party for this, so I expect the resort to have a lot of little kids (and Grandmas!)

GoofGoof

I agree on not splitting up. I think most families will be fine with splitting up for a few hours or maybe a day, but multiple days and nights seems much less likely. IMHO, Its more likely that if a family with 3 small kids and a grandma is going to WDW they would just skip this experience instead of paying for half the people to go and not really use it. Maybe try it on a later trip without granny and/or when the kids get older or maybe just mom and dad for a quick several day getaway.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
You're right I did say small kids.

Let's say it's a family with a 10 yo, 8 yo and a 3 yo and a Grandma. My point was that I don't think families are going to break up their travel party for this, so I expect the resort to have a lot of little kids (and Grandmas!)
And let's say grandma or the 8 y.o. isn't interested in the role play. What are they going to do for two days? How does this scenario work out from their perspective?

GoofGoof

And let's say grandma or the 8 y.o. isn't interested in the role play. What are they going to do for two days? How does this scenario work out from their perspective?
2 days is way to long to ask a family member to “suck it up” and go with what the majority is doing. Making your 10 year old son go to a princess character meal for an hour is pretty standard if it’s a mixed group, but multiple days and nights isn’t fair or right to do...and that’s not even taking into account the thousands of dollars you would literally be wasting. Will some people do that anyway, sure. Will the majority of guests, no way. Especially not when you are paying $1K+ per person.

Lensman

Premium Member
Have we been reduced to arguing the straw grandma? lol

Let's talk about the ways arguing about this straw man scenario is wrong:
1. It's probably a small subset of people who are the target audience for this experience. Now we've got 2 parents and 3 kids, all Star Wars fans, with one grandmother who is not a Star Wars fan. So unlikeliness #1 is a family of 5. 6% of U.S. households are families of 5.
2. All 5 are Star Wars fans - 5%.
2. Why is grandma not a Star Wars fan? 50%
3. Why is grandma not interested in watching her son/daughter and grandkids running around playing? Isn't this 90% of being a grandma?
4. Sadly, grandma is widowed - 45%
5. Family is rich enough to pay for grandma to participate in the Star Wars Experience - 2%

Back of the envelope calculation says that there are about 150 households that we are talking about or about one is a million.

Back to #3: Wait a minute this is a grandma who is somehow a Disney fan so they're happier to sit and wait on a hot park bench in Toy Story Land for the parents and kids to finish riding Slinky Dog Dash? I think we're down to 15 households now! :)

Lets Respect

My point was that people are going to come to this resort with their travel party of whatever configuration. I don’t see families breaking up their group for days to do this. So yes there will be “Grandmas and little kids” (aka the uninterested) there.

Top Bottom