News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

bclane

One more question, I keep seeing the “2day” timeframe mentioned, but do you really believe this will be how it plays out?

To have everyone basically forced to do a split stay? Again, I’m skeptical of that.
I think you can have the interactive experience and have outside time, I don’t see anything in the announcements to contradict that, but I don’t have any inside info.
I guess we’ll find out soon enough but to me it sounds like a blast. As a local it will be the perfect getaway. And I’ve had friends spend a couple nights at Grand Floridian and the rest at a more affordable resort. Maybe it’s not that common but I know people do it.

nickys

Premium Member
You know, if someone is paying $2000 for two nights and they want to ignore the themed entertainment they're paying for to hop to MK to wait on lines... let them go! They obviously don't get what they were paying for and would probably ruin everyone else's experience.

Then on the morning everyone's leaving and there's a big gathering and the announcing of prizes, and which guild made the most money, and whether the Jedi's team or the Sith's team acquired the kyber crystals, and people are cheering and hooting over who solved the mystery of the missing jewels of the royal family of Klatuu, and who got the best score on the Millennium Falcon ride, and which group found and released the leader of the droid uprising who was entrapped in Batuu's droid shop, and who got the Rebellion's leader safely off the cruise ship out from under the noses of Imperial agents... then that person who skipped out to the MK will realize just how much they missed and how much money they wasted.

True.

Or, to play devil's advocate, they may just roll their eyes and mutter "big boys and girls getting all excited over some make believe story" and smile to themselves. ;)

Equally, some who joined in some of it and really didn't have a clue what was going on, but at least they got to do Jedi Training, would be thinking "that was quite fun".

Either way, it is up to them.

I must admit I am in the half way camp. I'll be there, I'll join in some of it, probably not all and would hope I can get to SW:GE as a break from it all.

My concern is that those who are into this in a big way will be somewhat miffed when a lot of other, totally clueless, adults want to join in but hinder more than they help. Or ask questions like "what was @MisterPenguin talkimg about"?! Which is why I keep suggesting the option of special events for real hard core fans.

po1998

As in 3pm Check In, 11am Check Out the following day?

Do surveys always end up producing a reality that’s exactly like the survey? I’m asking because I don’t know.
I have to believe if they have you sold on this hook, line and sinker, they aren't letting you get away after 1 night. IMO it will be 2 night packages, and several times a year cater to the true diehards and offer a 3 night experience.

21stamps

I guess we’ll find out soon enough but to me it sounds like a blast. As a local it will be the perfect getaway. And I’ve had friends spend a couple nights at Grand Floridian and the rest at a more affordable resort. Maybe it’s not that common but I know people do it.

Definitely perfect for a local.. you wouldn’t feel any need to leave the hotel.

I’ve done split says because I was forced to, due to lack of availability at my preferred resort choice. Although frustrated at the time of booking, both worked out totally fine and were enjoyable. I had plans to spend “X” amount of days at Disney though. Sometimes people want to spend less than a week, which will definitely be my family moving forward.
It doesn’t sound like a good move to lose out on additional revenue from park tickets/park spending from people who don’t want to do an additional stay at another resort.

I have to believe if they have you sold on this hook, line and sinker, they aren't letting you get away after 1 night. IMO it will be 2 night packages, and several times a year cater to the true diehards and offer a 3 night experience.

I think/hope there will be choices.. maybe 2 night minimum/4 night max?

mmascari

That's what my youngest wants to do. Already watching the budget and knows this will be super expensive still in grammar school.

They don't know any other details or possibilities. Just that it'll be expensive and they want to spend one night there to do it, then move someplace cheaper so they don't blow the entire vacation budget.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Do surveys always end up producing a reality that’s exactly like the survey? I’m asking because I don’t know.

It depends. Some surveys revealed what was going to happened exactly as the survey revealed. Some surveys hinted at stuff that never happened (DHS name change comes to mind).

It's unlikely that a survey is being done to shape the course of a thing. More likely, they have thing and want to know if people would go for it or not. Bit of a binary thing.

The SWResort survey seemed more about if someone would pay $2000 for a 2 day event. Not how many days would you like it to be. That says a lot, IMO.

21stamps

Another reason I doubt the “no outside access”-

Assuming that the $2k number for 1 or 2 night is correct.. there’s going to be enough people to constantly rotate every 2nights, and then move to another Disney resort as well?

21stamps

It depends. Some surveys revealed what was going to happened exactly as the survey revealed. Some surveys hinted at stuff that never happened (DHS name change comes to mind).

It's unlikely that a survey is being done to shape the course of a thing. More likely, they have thing and want to know if people would go for it or not. Bit of a binary thing.

The SWResort survey seemed more about if someone would pay $2000 for a 2 day event. Not how many days would you like it to be. That says a lot, IMO.

That leads me to believe that it would be 3 nights, not 2. I could be wrong.

nickys

Premium Member
If you're going between Disney resorts on a split stay, don't they take care of moving your luggage for you, sort of like an extension of Disney Express?

Yes, they do. We've done split stays on all but one of our onsite stay. Very easy to do.

We'd probably spend about 4 or 5 nights at an Epcot resort first, to visit SW:GE and get over the jet lag, then this and then the last week somewhere else.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The real jist of that survey was

- What elements would you be interested in
- How much are you willing to pay?

I'm of the camp that the options presented with pricing were more about 'removing variables' to get more consistent survey results than they were about tipping their hand on the final outcome. Tho I do believe the right 'size' is 2-3 nights. Maybe 2 nights plus the SW:GE day. Part of me says 'shorter... to drive more capacity' and 'wider audience' - but the armchair imagineer wants more.

Flalex72

The real jist of that survey was

- What elements would you be interested in
- How much are you willing to pay?

I'm of the camp that the options presented with pricing were more about 'removing variables' to get more consistent survey results than they were about tipping their hand on the final outcome. Tho I do believe the right 'size' is 2-3 nights. Maybe 2 nights plus the SW:GE day. Part of me says 'shorter... to drive more capacity' and 'wider audience' - but the armchair imagineer wants more.

One option would be to let you stay for as long as you're willing to pay for, but to encourage people to stay for only a couple of days. The booking engine could automatically suggest a 5 night stay at the Boardwalk followed by a 2 night stay at the SW resort, and emphasize the ease of luggage transfer, etc. Combining the high priced SW Resort with a few nights somewhere more reasonable (by WDW standards) and marketing it as a place that can be experienced in 2 or 3 nights would reduce the number of complaints that it was too expensive.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some of the ten year olds were the best role-players! Just think how Disney kids get the idea that they're a princess or pirate or padawan. Put a robe, tiara, or bucaneer hat on them and they'll do just fine. They know how to play pretend. It's the adults you need to worry about.
Yup - they heavily emphasized the importance of allowing people to pick their own level of participation. This is also why I don't subscribe to the "this won't be for families" naysayers... Disney knows who their big spenders are and they know people don't like being split up. So they have to have a menu that allows those that just want to tag along, those who need some 'me time' and those who just can't get enough :)
Thanks for the insight @MisterPenguin, again I’m not familiar at all with the type of experience so I didn’t realize there were a lot of kids playing.

I’m one of the “not for families naysayers” but I need to clarify. A 10 year old makes sense or something like this, obviously fine for teens if they are into that sort of thing and your family could be 2 adults with no kids. When I say “not for families” I meant in relation to the way we talk about theme park rides. There are rides for the whole family and then those that are not appropriate for the younger kids. Most 10 year olds have no problem with riding EE but I wouldn’t call it a family friendly ride like the Safari or Dumbo or something like that. Maybe I should have used the term “not for the whole family” instead. I don’t see this as being something for little kids. 4 year olds, kids in strollers, etc. If they dumb it down to appeal to toddlers too then when you approach a droid in an important part of your mission you may have to wait 15 mins while a 3 year old poses for pictures and then you would have to leap several strollers to get by.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all to make this more “adult” oriented. I know I’m preaching to the choir here when I say not everything needs to be for toddlers. It’s been quite some time since Disney focused on building something purely adult oriented. Maybe since Disney Institute opened under Eisner. Disney Institute also required a minimum stay and you also took meals there so there are some parallels to this project. Obviously, this project has nothing to do with what caused the failure of Disney Institute, that people did not want to go to class on vacation. The parallels end with a minimum stay and all the activities being on sight.

<whipser> That's because they are trying to come up with reasons why it wont work.. instead of legit concern ;) <whisper>
You can call it anything you want. This project is pretty far outside the box and is no guarantee to be a long term success. There’s not even a guarantee that the pitch they presented ends up being how the finished product works. I think some of the concerns are legit (my concerns ;)) and some are probably far fetched. It’s human nature to use more extreme examples to prove a point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m pretty sure it’s impossible or at least very impractical to allow outside guests to enter the resort. It has to be hotel guests only. @flynnibus and @MisterPenguin have also convinced me that it is unlikely they will encourage guests to leave to visit the other parks or eat somewhere offsite (likely no buses). There are ways they could have designed this to allow for that, but that doesn’t seem to be the plan.

21stamps

I’m pretty sure it’s impossible or at least very impractical to allow outside guests to enter the resort. It has to be hotel guests only. @flynnibus and @MisterPenguin have also convinced me that it is unlikely they will encourage guests to leave to visit the other parks or eat somewhere offsite (likely no buses). There are ways they could have designed this to allow for that, but that doesn’t seem to be the plan.
Other parks besides HS, specifically the GE portion?,, or do you think no park at all?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Other parks besides HS, specifically the GE portion?,, or do you think no park at all?
Other parks outside SW Land. There’s no reason to build it right next to SW Land without offering excursions there, but the way these guys explain the plan it seems pretty unlikely they will encourage trips to other parks. Not saying you won’t be allowed to leave just that they won’t provide transport. On check-out I’m sure you would be transported to whatever resort you are checking into if you do a split stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom