News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Regarding the lobby, they have to close it off to people without reservations. It will be overwhelmed with people just stopping by to look at it, far more than even the current deluxe resort lobbies

No...I don’t see anyway they can allow casual entry of any kind...I would say maybe a gift shop of some sort that doesn’t have access...but then you’d have to account for parking and that purpose could be easily served by a gift shop on the inner park side somewhere.

I wonder if they are gonna have an integalactic “trash compactor” themed pool?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure exactly what you’re asking.

On the site map...was the Star Wars hotel location one of the “expansion areas” that they hinted at but did absolutely nothing to promise a few years back on the rumor mill?

Remember...the “phase 3 is budgeted”?

I’m just curious if you know where those areas would have needed to be if it happens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is the roadway between SWL and the cleared areas going to eventually close?
The old entry point off world drive is slated to be removed - I believe...the new entry point will be off Osceola parkway across form wide world...heavy work is being down there now.

I don’t know if the back gate is going to remain...I think it might be buses only?

Does that answer your question?

Rteetz

On the site map...was the Star Wars hotel location one of the “expansion areas” that they hinted at but did absolutely nothing to promise a few years back on the rumor mill?

Remember...the “phase 3 is budgeted”?

I’m just curious if you know where those areas would have needed to be if it happens.
That area had nothing to do with phase 1, 2, or 3 as far as I know.

Indy_UK

If they close that back way to DHS past between galaxies edge and the hotel then that would open up a ton of potential expansion space for galaxies edge

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is the roadway between SWL and the cleared areas going to eventually close?

The road will likely go away. The main entrance is moving to the intersection of Osceola and Victory, and buses will enter from Buena Vista Dr. The question at this point is, will the old main entrance be kept to serve the Star Wars hotel.

BrianLo

My OPINION Is that you’d be hard pressed to find doctors, lawyers or a zillion other professions that have not had to handle/address things on vacation that they either didn’t want to...or felt compelled to.

That's a lovely opinion. That is not how the medical system has worked for decades. You clearly do not understand how a call system works in order for people to have some semblance of work life balance. That's not to say some people refuse to unplug, but there are many mechanisms to be able to do it for a meagre 2 days.

Very few individuals function within enough of a silo that they do not have colleagues or a group behind them. Even if they do still function under that model they bring in a locum for vacation. No one is the sole proprietor of their group of patients 24/7, 365 days a year.

Also no one has asked the important question, do pagers work in the new hotel? Ironically... probably.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You mean... like they do on a cruise?
I’m not a big fan of cruises but I’ve never heard of any cruise lines that don’t allow cell phones or contact with the outside world. Do these cruise ships allow cameras? Most people use phones for cameras these days so if your phone was locked away at checkin you couldn’t use it for that either. I don’t have any inside info, but I’m pretty confident this resort will allow cell phones.
It doesn't have to be hardcore where people pretend in character, etc. Just look at a M&G in the parks... people can play along with the characters without giving up who they are.

You can have the full environment without having people to play characters themselves. The ability to roll play yourself I think will be there without asking everyone to do so. You can pick and choose how far you go.

I mean, you won't have to makeup a backstory for yourself and dress up to goto a full experience bar and enjoy yourself.
I agree with this. I think some people are expecting a more restrictive environment. I posted something similar in another post.
Maybe they will... but that isn't a reason to shape what you set off to build here.

The idea that a product must be for EVERYONE and EVERYONE's needs is fallacy. You need an addressable market of sufficient size and access... not EVERYONE.
I agree with this too. I just don’t see Disney building a SW resort and gearing it towards adult SW fanboys who want to dress up and pretend to be a Jedi. The comicon crowd is not a demo that Disney tends to attempt to attract. Making it more family friendly akin to a park meet and greet seems the more likely route to go. If they do that there’s no reason they can’t have views of the outside or cell phones or buses to the other parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Regarding the lobby, they have to close it off to people without reservations. It will be overwhelmed with people just stopping by to look at it, far more than even the current deluxe resort lobbies
If it’s open to the public I’ll be part of that problem. I would definitely stop in to check it out. I may even be willing to throw on a costume to try to fit in. How long will it take for me to get tossed out if I show up wearing this:
AE743FDC-CC77-4E4F-AFDA-78321CA05680.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m not a big fan of cruises but I’ve never heard of any cruise lines that don’t allow cell phones or contact with the outside world

Up until recently... say the last 8 years... that was the norm. Everyone and their mother had cell phones and texting.. but not on board. That's why Disney's on-board phones were such a perk. The point was to illustrate that it DOES happen and people DO tolerate it.

People travel all the time where there is no cell phone coverage. People get on planes for 14hrs with no cell phone coverage. Being without your phone for a day/etc will teach some people good. If you really can't be without your phone for a few hours, you probably aren't really on vacation.

There is zero chance Disney will confiscate or ban personal devices - but they can easily discourage their use or even enforce not using them during certain times.

I agree with this too. I just don’t see Disney building a SW resort and gearing it towards adult SW fanboys who want to dress up and pretend to be a Jedi. The comicon crowd is not a demo that Disney tends to attempt to attract. Making it more family friendly akin to a park meet and greet seems the more likely route to go. If they do that there’s no reason they can’t have views of the outside or cell phones or buses to the other parks.

I'm not sure why you keep swinging to extremes to make your point somehow palatable... it just kills it.

100% this thing is about people who want to be IN THE ENVIRONMENT - and not just seeing some attractions and then leaving. Disney knows how engaging people will want to be will vary... people are self-conscious.. not everyone wants the attention on them... not everyone likes to roll play. That doesn't mean they don't adore the idea of BEING IN a star wars story/place. And Disney certainly wants to attract those people who pay thousands for the perks at those CONs. But that doesn't mean making it non-family friend... nor does that really have anything to do with separating from the outside.

To have the story only happening while you goto certain areas.. and floating back and forth.. destroys the whole setting.

For those who just want Star Wars and then do something else - that's what SWGE is for. This is about an inclusive, self-contained experience that spans your entire visit.. not just to see a show and then leave.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's a lovely opinion. That is not how the medical system has worked for decades. You clearly do not understand how a call system works in order for people to have some semblance of work life balance. That's not to say some people refuse to unplug, but there are many mechanisms to be able to do it for a meagre 2 days.

Very few individuals function within enough of a silo that they do not have colleagues or a group behind them. Even if they do still function under that model they bring in a locum for vacation. No one is the sole proprietor of their group of patients 24/7, 365 days a year.

Also no one has asked the important question, do pagers work in the new hotel? Ironically... probably.

I do understand the concept of practices/corporate medical groups...

And I hit a nerve there...completely unintentionally. But it’s not just about doctors...and maybe some don’t have the conglomerates?

But that isn’t the only profession that may or may not unplug.

And who said 2 days? What if it’s more? Are they gonna tell somebody to be banned for 4?

They will have some mechanism for contact...as you stated - OPINION.

The contention here about the abstract is ridiculous...it’s just discussion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Up until recently... say the last 8 years... that was the norm. Everyone and their mother had cell phones and texting.. but not on board. That's why Disney's on-board phones were such a perk. The point was to illustrate that it DOES happen and people DO tolerate it.

People travel all the time where there is no cell phone coverage. People get on planes for 14hrs with no cell phone coverage. Being without your phone for a day/etc will teach some people good. If you really can't be without your phone for a few hours, you probably aren't really on vacation.

There is zero chance Disney will confiscate or ban personal devices - but they can easily discourage their use or even enforce not using them during certain times.
I think the world has changed quite a bit in the last decade. Social media certainly plays a bigger role now and that more than anything drives the need for people to be constantly connected. I think there’s a big difference between not being able to use a phone because there’s no cell service for a few hours on a plane or even on board a cruise ship and not having access to your cell phone for several days at a resort which could easily accommodate it. I know you are saying zero chance of a phone ban, but that’s the context of the post that started the whole conversation. I think we both agree that they won’t ban them so no need to discuss further.
I'm not sure why you keep swinging to extremes to make your point somehow palatable... it just kills it.

100% this thing is about people who want to be IN THE ENVIRONMENT - and not just seeing some attractions and then leaving. Disney knows how engaging people will want to be will vary... people are self-conscious.. not everyone wants the attention on them... not everyone likes to roll play. That doesn't mean they don't adore the idea of BEING IN a star wars story/place. And Disney certainly wants to attract those people who pay thousands for the perks at those CONs. But that doesn't mean making it non-family friend... nor does that really have anything to do with separating from the outside.

To have the story only happening while you goto certain areas.. and floating back and forth.. destroys the whole setting.

For those who just want Star Wars and then do something else - that's what SWGE is for. This is about an inclusive, self-contained experience that spans your entire visit.. not just to see a show and then leave.
Honestly, I was reacting to the extremes others posted. I think some people are expecting it to be exactly what you are saying it doesn’t have to be.

I expect this to be marketed to the same types of guests who go to the SW meet and greets in the parks and the various exhibits because they love the movies. Where I am skeptical is that it will require guests to focus only on the SW resort and the storylines created there. I think the end product will be attractive because it looks really cool and will also provide several interactive experiences a day that allow guests to be part of a mission or adventure but I don’t see them providing resort focused activities for the whole day or days at a time. I do expect people will want to go back and forth between living out a SW experience and being a regular tourist.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Umm...the cruiselines weren’t fitted to send/receive the data or transmit via wifi...

It wasn’t royal Caribbean “holding out” so you’d play bingo.

21stamps

I think the world has changed quite a bit in the last decade. Social media certainly plays a bigger role now and that more than anything drives the need for people to be constantly connected. I think there’s a big difference between not being able to use a phone because there’s no cell service for a few hours on a plane or even on board a cruise ship and not having access to your cell phone for several days at a resort which could easily accommodate it. I know you are saying zero chance of a phone ban, but that’s the context of the post that started the whole conversation. I think we both agree that they won’t ban them so no need to discuss further.

Honestly, I was reacting to the extremes others posted. I think some people are expecting it to be exactly what you are saying it doesn’t have to be.

I expect this to be marketed to the same types of guests who go to the SW meet and greets in the parks and the various exhibits because they love the movies. Where I am skeptical is that it will require guests to focus only on the SW resort and the storylines created there. I think the end product will be attractive because it looks really cool and will also provide several interactive experiences a day that allow guests to be part of a mission or adventure but I don’t see them providing resort focused activities for the whole day or days at a time. I do expect people will want to go back and forth between living out a SW experience and being a regular tourist.

Totally agree. This will appeal to the Mega Geeks..but I don’t think it’s marketed to that demographic specifically. Star Wars is huge right now, always has been, but now with a new generation in the mix.
There will be parents who take their kids because their kids are huge fans, families with a Mom or Dad who can not cut themselves off from the outside world for days at a time. There will be super fans and casual fans and everything inbetween.

It’s not going to be a sea of Comicon junkies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom