News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m curious if the hotel will be closed off to non-guests entirely. Presumably it’d have access to the other three parks and therefore access back, so you’d be able to visit it via bus transport like you can with any other hotel on property. Unless they bar entry to those without a room key.
If they want it to be truly immersive it will definitely have to be off limits to non-guests. Maybe just the lobby would be accessible but nothing else.

TJJohn12

I’m curious if the hotel will be closed off to non-guests entirely. Presumably it’d have access to the other three parks and therefore access back, so you’d be able to visit it via bus transport like you can with any other hotel on property. Unless they bar entry to those without a room key.

I was under the impression that the resort *won't* have access to the other parks - that the concept is a closed experience not a hotel. This seems more like the boutique park that we've been hearing rumbling of for years. Guests check in in cadres and experience a specific story arc over the course of their 2-3 day stay. After that, they move to Contemporary (or wherever) for the rest of their visit to WDW.

I think we'd be better served to think of this as a park and not a hotel - it's not meant as a simple place to sleep between jaunts to the Magic Kingdom. It, in some sense, *is* its own Magic Kingdom.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The key is does Disney have a true desire to attract the hardcore SW geek crowd who aren’t necessarily going to WDW but just SW resort? If so then yes, this resort could follow a strict set of rules where the guests are part of the story and people are not expected to break character or leave or even look outside and it would be a truly immersive experience but will likely not be as attractive to families/kids and casual SW fans who also want to do other non-Star Wars stuff. I think that’s what a lot of posters here are picturing. A “murder mystery train ride” style experience where the guests are part of the story and the resort is the focal point of the experience.

On the flip side if Disney built a SW themed hotel similar to the one in the concept art with windows appearing to look out in space and all the bells and whistles but they choose not to focus on the cosplay aspect and have regular resort things like pools and windows to the outside and a lounge on the top floor with views into SW land and of fireworks I think that would also be wildly popular and attract a broader audience that looks more like the typical WDW demographic. Hard core SW fans wouldn’t like it as much.

It would be out of character for Disney to opt for the fully immersive option 1 when option 2 is much more likely to bring in guests who will stay longer and spend more overall at WDW. It will be interesting to see if they forgo extra profits to try to attract a niche demographic that isn’t in their normal wheelhouse.

You are right that hard core fans wouldn't like the "softer" experience as much, but a good number of them would still come. I think the hardcore experience would turn off more families, then the soft experience would turn off fans.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are right that hard core fans wouldn't like the "softer" experience as much, but a good number of them would still come. I think the hardcore experience would turn off more families, then the soft experience would turn off fans.
Agreed...and we all know Disney’s history of appealing to the masses. I see them aiming for the family demo since SW is popular with kids too. The Comicon crowd just doesn’t seem like a desired target audience.

I do think you can blend both styles. It can be a lot more than hotel rooms with Darth Vader sheets and still not be as restrictive. Maybe they offer limited “adventures” without making it a 24/7 story line. Show up in the lounge at 2pm and you will be given a mission that maybe takes a few hours. They could offer several adventures a day. This way guests who want a little more interactive can take part in everything and those that want a little less can maybe try 1 or 2 things and still do classic WDW stuff.

Dunston

You're all out of your minds if you think the resort isn't going to have cell service/wifi, televisions, a gym with normal equipment, etc.

Edit: And making people wear costumes? Get outta town lol

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With the limited number of rooms, and the corresponding price point, you can be sure WDW will *not* be appealing to the masses for the SWResort.

Niche hotel, niche market, niche experience, niche occupancy.

You tell people that they have to give up their cell phones in public, no TV, no pool, must stay in the SWResort or Batuu the entire time, have to wear at least minimal costuming... that will absolutely turn people off. And that's OK. It's not for mass consumption.

Hubble will be like the ultimate low-capacity E-Ticket ride... only a small percentage of the people who show up at the park will experience it. It's FP+ only and each FP+ will be starting at $2,000.*

It's the Victoria and Albert's of self-contained resort entertainment.

*Or some other high value to be announced.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With the limited number of rooms, and the corresponding price point, you can be sure WDW will *not* be appealing to the masses for the SWResort.

Niche hotel, niche market, niche experience, niche occupancy.

You tell people that they have to give up their cell phones in public, no TV, no pool, must stay in the SWResort or Batuu the entire time, have to wear at least minimal costuming... that will absolutely turn people off. And that's OK. It's not for mass consumption.

Hubble will be like the ultimate low-capacity E-Ticket ride... only a small percentage of the people who show up at the park will experience it. It's FP+ only and each FP+ will be starting at $2,000.*

It's the Victoria and Albert's of self-contained resort entertainment.

*Or some other high value to be announced.
If they decide to go that route then I hope they also at some point make a SW themed resort for the masses. I know many huge SW fans who would love to stay at a place like this while at WDW but have no desire to play dress up or limit their movements to the resort for days at a time.

mmascari

I don't think they'll go that far.

It's a very large spectrum between simply Darth Vader sheets and a fully immersive 24 hour strict role play experience. I think they'll aim for the middle somewhere.

I'm still thinking more like a cruise ship than a hotel and not as restrictive as an actual park ride.

So, not as complete an adventure as the full on LARP might want. But, more restrictive than a typical hotel resort you just wander around the grounds. I expect there will be bus stops right out front and typical transit to the other theme parks and areas.

I do expect that beyond the lobby (and maybe even that) will require a room key/magic band scan to get in. Again, much like a cruise ship where it requires a room key to board and they don't let random people on.

Continuing that cruise ship analogy, assorted adventures could end up like shore excursions on a cruise. Where you can sign up for different ones or just spend the day on your own not doing any. Sign up for set of tasks, or just walk out the main entry and board a bus to a different park, or take the transport to SWGE. All very analogous to how you vacation on a cruise ship.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't think they'll go that far.

Well, I wasn't making the point that that's what they'll definitely do, but that any type of restriction (no cell phones in public as an example) or any lack of usual hotel amenity (no TV in the room) that would turn off a potential customer is not an issue for WDW since they'll have more than enough customers willing to live with such restrictions.

Several posters above were starting to make points about how such (if any) restrictions would turn off the general public. My point: this isn't for the general public.

To use the cruise ship analogy: I know many people who don't want to be on a boat and refuse to cruise. That in no way stops cruise lines from being successful since there are plenty of people who don't mind all the restrictions that come with being on a boat.

Stripes

The site is indeed aggravating to use to find out real information, and maybe you'll get one or two tidbits a week. And in between those two tidbits are mountains of glurge. My bookmark is set to "latest stories" to catch them all.
Yep. I've never seen a worse search system. I bookmark anything remotely interesting otherwise I'll never see it again.

nickys

Premium Member
Yep. I've never seen a worse search system. I bookmark anything remotely interesting otherwise I'll never see it again.

I have tried searching for a specific word, that is in the title of an article, and still it manages not to find it! Did they give it to a bunch of 8 year olds to program it? It is totally useless as it is. As you say, read it whilst it's one of the leading stories, or it's gone for ever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They could tell you that your phone won't work in space.

People will have to make some concessions to gain full immersion. One of those is likely to be phones and pads. Can you imagine being in a tense scenario where the transport is being boarded by Imperial stormtroopers to search for Rebel spies, and someone's cell phone rings?

Darth Vader would not approve. I know it would twist my knickers as well, if I paid some ginormous amount of money to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe, and somebody else ruins it by taking a phone call in the middle of the action...

...the reality is, at least SOME of the people here actually work...or own...or have responsibilities.

Some take care of the elderly...some have patients..many have school/family commitments that may require interruption.

They’re gonna be flexible on this whether they like it or not. Or word will get out.

“Out of range because I’m on the Death Star jun 1-3” won’t go over well as your away message.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The key is does Disney have a true desire to attract the hardcore SW geek crowd who aren’t necessarily going to WDW but just SW resort? If so then yes, this resort could follow a strict set of rules where the guests are part of the story and people are not expected to break character or leave or even look outside and it would be a truly immersive experience but will likely not be as attractive to families/kids and casual SW fans who also want to do other non-Star Wars stuff. I think that’s what a lot of posters here are picturing. A “murder mystery train ride” style experience where the guests are part of the story and the resort is the focal point of the experience.

On the flip side if Disney built a SW themed hotel similar to the one in the concept art with windows appearing to look out in space and all the bells and whistles but they choose not to focus on the cosplay aspect and have regular resort things like pools and windows to the outside and a lounge on the top floor with views into SW land and of fireworks I think that would also be wildly popular and attract a broader audience that looks more like the typical WDW demographic. Hard core SW fans wouldn’t like it as much.

It would be out of character for Disney to opt for the fully immersive option 1 when option 2 is much more likely to bring in guests who will stay longer and spend more overall at WDW. It will be interesting to see if they forgo extra profits to try to attract a niche demographic that isn’t in their normal wheelhouse.

It doesn't have to be hardcore where people pretend in character, etc. Just look at a M&G in the parks... people can play along with the characters without giving up who they are.

You can have the full environment without having people to play characters themselves. The ability to roll play yourself I think will be there without asking everyone to do so. You can pick and choose how far you go.

I mean, you won't have to makeup a backstory for yourself and dress up to goto a full experience bar and enjoy yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom