News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

andre85

The entrance road is going away so that opens up some options there, and the hotel probably isn't going there. There will also be room between the land and the GMR building, and there is room in the south west corner. This area is marked as Star Wars Land on that map. but there are actually a bunch of back stage buildings there.

Gotcha, that's good to know, because I was just looking at maps of SW in DL and it looks like there's an expansion pad to the east (according to Micechat), plus Toon Town if they want to go nuts.

BrianLo

Well, we're presuming it will be on the other side of the park boundary next to SWGE for easy access to SWGE for extended hours time in the park. So far, no clues and no insider confirmation.

I could have sworn @marni1971 said it was not in the current clearing, but instead was on the other side of the canal. Specifically drainage area L402-17?

I assume they actually want the whole new clearing for parking after the garages were written out of the plan, still giving the option of the park expanding out from Echo lake down the line without a garage commitment to pull that off. The Star Wars hotel North of the canal would commit them to parking garages.

roj2323

I could have sworn @marni1971 said it was not in the current clearing, but instead was on the other side of the canal. Specifically drainage area L402-17?

I assume they actually want the whole new clearing for parking after the garages were written out of the plan, still giving the option of the park expanding out from Echo lake down the line without a garage commitment to pull that off. The Star Wars hotel North of the canal would commit them to parking garages.

There's really nothing preventing them from building it out as a parking lot so they can then close off part of the existing lot to build a parking garage. Once the garage is up they could then use the new parking lot space for other things. Now i'm not saying this is what they are going to do but it would make some sense if they did.

For the moment however the only thing that's pretty much a sure thing is the Cast parking is going to be moving over to the new parking lot area once it's built as that change alone increases the guest parking by a third and the reconfiguration of the existing lots with the deletion of the canals running down the middle of the lot also added probably another 600-800 parking spots. Between the Reconfiguration and the new added parking area south of the existing lot they are adding probably close to 3000 parking spaces.

Pixieish

I think you missed the rest of the conversation.

But anyway, let's look at what we know-

*This is going to be completely different than any other Disney resort. A "360 experience"

*Might be all inclusive?

*We know price will be high. But how high?

I don't think Disney will have a starting price point that only the rich and/or famous can afford.

I do think they may have one or two "special" suites that would fall in that category though.

I also think the starting price point will have to be somewhat palatable for a decent chunk of their demographic.

People probably can justify @ $5k for a family of 4 on a completely unique all inclusive 3 night experience.

And just to be clear- I'm not talking about "all people" I'm talking about people who spend that much on vacations anyway...just probably not for 3 nights very often. Add in the fact that it's Star Wars- yes, it would be justifiable once, to many in that demographic.

Plenty of "Family's of 4" spend that now on a 3-4 night Disney cruise during certain times of the year.

All of that said, I hope it's less, but the person who said "$5k all inclusive for 4" probably isn't too far off...based on what we know of Disney's pricing.

Sorry, but we've done a very inclusive Disney vacation at a moderate resort for a little less than $1000 a day for 9 days for our family of 4, including the deluxe dining plan, water parks, park hoppers, a rental car, and flights. There's no way we would pay an extra two grand on a three day trip just for theming, and we're pretty hard-core SW fans.

Pixieish

Where the heck can I stay at GWL for $80?!?

We went for 3 nights this past Spring.. it was close to $500 per night for a standard room.. not including food, MagicQuest etc.

Use the bounce-back offer. We went in August and got a bounce-back for 50% off...booked according to when would be cheapest in the time-frame we wanted to go, and got a room for $99 per night. (The fees and 2 breakfast buffets ended up bringing our 2 night/3 day trip to around $375. Our visit is in a couple of weeks.)

Pixieish

I'll share this little tidbit from my Lucas pals about this resort project... so, please keep in mind these folks are literally swimming in Star Wars every day of the week as they are working on the films, games, parks, etc. Each of them told me that they will be booking a trip to the resort once it is finished.

That's about as high of praise as I could imagine as if anyone could reach SW saturation - it would be this crowd and this project has them excited to experience it for themselves. This isn't going to be a trip to the Bibbidty Boddibi Boutique in space... which is good because that glitter is hard to get off.

HAHAHAHA! Glitter = herpes of the crafting world.

Pixieish

Neither. I'm saying the hardcore fan base is, on average, older than @21stamps would believe based on her experience with her son.

I have to agree. My husband and I are the really hard-core fans in our family. Our boys (6 and 11) enjoy Star Wars (and ESPECIALLY Jedi Training - I'm not looking forward to telling my oldest that he's aged out), love the toys and the Lego video games, but they just aren't as interested in it as we are. That could change in the future, but I wouldn't be enormously surprised if it did. Most of my older son's friends are casual fans, too...not hard-core like their parents.

Pixieish

Serious question for all of the serious Star Wars Nerds in this thread--

Are all of your spouses just as obsessed as you are?

My husband has read many of the books, watched the cartoons, etc. etc.

His brother even more so.

Me, I wasn't a huge fan until the prequels were released (I hated them, but my love for the original trilogy grew by leaps and bounds). HOWEVER...the difference is that I have NEVER read the books or any of the other stuff because I didn't want to corrupt what I thought of the movies with other stuff. Sort of the same reason I'm basically terrified to watch The Dark Tower because the books are probably my favorite series ever and I know the movie will never live up to my expectations. I don't want the SW books/comics to damage my feelings for the films, or cloud any story-lines in my head - especially since I saw ROTJ in the theater with my dad, who I lost in my teens...and also considering that there is so much out there in terms of fan-fiction and background that has been removed from canon.

Pixieish

Millions of American parents will disagree with you. I'm super strict about what my kid watches, and I still took him to TFA on opening night.

Common Sense Media is my go-to.. check this out..

It's says age 10+ right?
View attachment 217005

But here's the breakdown of "why"-
Only the violence.. but it's fantasy violence..look at the rest of the categories.

View attachment 217006

And most of all, Disney is definitely maketing SW to kids under 10.

My 6-year-old has seen more PG and PG-13 movies than I can count. Mostly because he only pays attention to things like spaceship dogfights than he does the human interactions at this point, and keeping everything G-rated is a nightmare once you have two kids that are five years apart combined with parents that love SW, LOTR, HP, Pirates, etc. etc. The thing that really hooked our now 11-year-old on SW? JEDI TRAINING. He LOOOOVED it. To the point that he wants them to develop a next stage for the kids who age out so they can continue their adventure.

Pixieish

I'm asking this as a parent who didn't let my kid watch tv or movies before age 3.5 and has heavy parental controls on every tv and electronic device in our house- and the point of CSM is to break down the ratings/scenes/topics so the parent can decide (which is why I love it so much!)

What is inappropriate for a 7 year old with Star Wars?

But more importantly, how many 6-9 year olds, especially boys, do you think haven't seen SW? Do you think the ones who haven't seen it are the majority or minority?

Marvel (and all super hero movies) for instance is too violent/adult themes in my personal opinion, we don't watch the Marvel movies, but SW? It's so different to me, maybe because I grew up with it.

I think the violence levels are about the same between SW and Marvel, but the violence is spread out more time-wise in the Marvel movies. Also, you very rarely see actual blood in any SW film. (Light-sabers cauterize wounds just by the nature of the weapon. ;) )

Pixieish

Agree. I've never heard of SW fandom starting at 9-10 years old before reading this thread. Not now, and not when the originals came out. Even more so today as now it's so passionately shared between the 2 generations.

And really, does it matter if a 6 year old comprehends every single nuance of the storyline? I mean-- light sabers, tie fighters, the millennium falcon, good vs evil.. what's not for a kid to love?lol

Actually (and I'm speaking as an Education major AND parent here), very young children need the violence of fairy tales and the plots of good vs. evil because it helps them learn to cope with their own very real fears in regards to death, etc. I'm specifically referencing the original, very gory, Grimm's Fairy Tales, but the same theory could be applied here. Lack of exposure to these elements results in a lack of ability to cope under stress and frightening circumstances.

Now, because this is based on stories and not visuals, I will say that there is a limit to what our children should be exposed to visually so that we don't create desensitization. BUT...there is a pretty blatant lack of blood in the SW movies in general, and I want to say in many of the Marvel movies as well. Ant-Man is a particular favorite of our 6-year-old son's because of the battle that takes place in the little girl's bedroom and the resulting hugification of Thomas the Tank Engine. He definitely doesn't grasp the subtleties of the human interactions of any of these movies, he just loves the eye-catching visuals of the suits/spaceships etc., and honestly I'm grateful for that most of the time. (Although it would be nice if he would pay attention to Thor sharing his hammer with the others in Age of Ultron.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Between the Reconfiguration and the new added parking area south of the existing lot they are adding probably close to 3000 parking spaces.

On top of that, the Skyline should discourage all the people staying at Pop, AoA, CBR, and Riviera from driving to DHS and using their parking lot.

flights. There's no way we would pay an extra two grand on a three day trip just for theming, and we're pretty hard-core SW fans.

The thing that really hooked our now 11-year-old on SW? JEDI TRAINING. He LOOOOVED it. To the point that he wants them to develop a next stage for the kids who age out so they can continue their adventure.

The SW Resort is more than just a themed resort. It includes Live Action Role-Play, and, most likely, two nights of EMH to SWGE. It would be like being part of Jedi Academy for a full two days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom