Star Wars The dark side half marathon - questions

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I'll be getting to fly down to WDW friday, and as I get ready for the race, I'm confused about the logistics of the day of the race.

I'm planning on possibly taking a Cab or the monorail (I'm not sure which). I'm staying at the contemporary, but it seems a cab will be the most direct, since the I'll not have to switch monorails - does this make sense?

Also the timing, the event guide states:
Participants must board a bus or monorail no later than 3:30 a.m. in order to
make it to their corrals on time.

That seems awfully early for a 5:00am race, I'm worried that I'll be standing around in the early morning.

FerretAfros

Given the number of people that need to arrive at Epcot in a limited period of time, I always advocate taking "mass transit" (bus or monorail) whenever possible. It may take slightly longer for you, but it clears up the roads for people who will be coming from off-site and have no other option. If this is your first Disney race, simply watching the early-morning logistics is an under-appreciated spectacle of its own!

I also think you would have a tough time getting a cab at that hour, especially with the road closures for the race (though these closures seem less intrusive than the courses that go to MK)

The "board by" time is usually a little aggressive for all races, but it seems especially early for these races, especially since they don't have the long walk to start corrals on Epcot Center Blvd. It could easily take 30 minutes of travel time to get to Epcot (especially if you have to wait a few minutes to get the next bus/train), plus another 10-15 minutes to walk to the far side of the parking lot, and 10-15 minutes to go through security. Add in some time for a bathroom stop and getting to your corral with time to spare, and I don't think 3:30 is entirely unreasonable for a 5:00 race. Early, yes; unreasonable, no.

You could probably wait another 30 minutes if you really wanted (particularly if you're in a later corral), but I'm not sure I'd want to risk it myself. On the bright side, the weather seems like it will be good for waiting around, so at least it won't be completely miserable. There are DJs and stuff to keep you entertained, and the atmosphere is usually pretty infectious with all the nervous-excited runners everywhere

ejsanta13

I'll be getting to fly down to WDW friday, and as I get ready for the race, I'm confused about the logistics of the day of the race.

I'm planning on possibly taking a Cab or the monorail (I'm not sure which). I'm staying at the contemporary, but it seems a cab will be the most direct, since the I'll not have to switch monorails - does this make sense?

Also the timing, the event guide states:

That seems awfully early for a 5:00am race, I'm worried that I'll be standing around in the early morning.

I would take the monorail. A cab will have you sitting in traffic trying to get to the parking area. You will also have a pretty decent walk no matter what kind of transportation you are taking. If you get on the monorail when advised, you will make it to your corral on time. You may have some waiting, but better than sitting in a cab in traffic watching the meter go up......

Mad Stitch

Take the monorail. Why pay for a cab when you don't need to. Yes, you need to be on the bus/monrail by 3:30. There will be over 20 thousand people trying to get to the same place at the same time. Closed roads will add to the congestion. Running any race involves a lot of waiting before the start.

surfsupdon

FYI I almost missed the start during Princess Half.

Got to bus stop at Riverside and had to wait long for an empty bus. Traffic to get to start. Traffic to park. Long walk to 'base camp.' Bag check. Then super long walk to Corral A/B in crazy congestion. I had to jump ship, jog in the grass, and I JUST made it for the national anthem. Literally jumped around and started the race with the 1:50 pace group. Never thought it would ever take that long, but I encountered several worst case scenarios.

Leave plenty of time!

Figment82

Definitely take the monorail! I stayed at BLT a couple times for the January races and it is a very easy trip. I found it a little fun to ride a packed monorail in almost total silence - everyone was too tired/nervous/focused to talk.

I'm local so we usually drive from home, and will be doing the same this time. You don't want to have to sit in the traffic back up when you have to pay fare and I'm fairly certain taxi drop off for the races is near the buses/monorail anyway so you're not saving any distance.

I, too, almost missed the start for my last race - the January half. The bag check line was so outrageous with the increased security and relatively new costume policy. I also have a nervous bladder and like to use the facilities at least 2-3 times before start (don't judge!) and they started the first corral while I was still in line at a porta potty. I think we ended up a corral or two back because we couldn't find the correct one once they started moving everyone up. Definitely err on the side of being early - you'll be far less stressed!

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
If this is your first Disney race, simply watching the early-morning logistics is an under-appreciated spectacle of its own!
I used to the inline skating marathons back in the day, but I hadn't done a Disney race since then.

I also think you would have a tough time getting a cab at that hour, especially with the road closures for the race
Good point, I completely forgot about the road closures, and in fact after you posted this, it jogged (pun intended) my memory of those races and the line of cars trying to get to the starting location (for inline skating marathon it started/ended at the wide world of sports).

Everyone else, recommending the Monorail, thank you all, I appreciate the comments of leaving plenty of time and using the mass transit.

So I will be getting up at 2:30am and taking a monorail around 3 to 3:30am :( Hopefully I get enough sleep for the race. I will say it's going to be hard going to bed at 8:00 (or there abouts), I'm not so sure I'll fall asleep but I don't want to be so tired the race.

Texas84

Go early, it's fun. Adrenalin will make up for lack of sleep. Don't stress that.

From Jeff Galloway:

Try to relax so you can sleep. But if you can’t sleep, the race isn’t lost. (I’ve run some of my best races after sleepless nights.)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ditto to what everyone else said. I got to the bus stop for the Princess 5k 30 minutes before board by time. Thought I was the only one. The bus didn't leave until after the board by time and with all the road closures, still took longer than normal to get to Epcot drop off point. And if you can, don't bring your gear bag. Just one more thing to be searched, dropped off and picked up after the race. Since the monorail will be running for the races, take it. But don't take a cab....you will have a longer walk to check-in, etc. As you travel to your resort on Friday after arriving, you will see all the cones, signs, etc., in preparation for road closures for Saturday's 10k. So do what Disney wants runners staying on property to do, take Disney transportation. We're staying at the Boardwalk and Disney discourages those staying in Epcot area resorts walking over to the race staging area.

And as @Texas84 said, the most important thing is to relax and try to sleep. But at least rest. If you're worried about falling asleep, take some melatonin. Unlike other sleep aids (zzzquil), doesn't leave you drowsy.

Oh, and depending on your corral, you may be standing around for an hour waiting to walk to the starting point. But at least it won't be as cold as the races in January and February.

Good luck on Sunday! And don't forget to sign up for the runner tracking.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I will say getting up so early (And getting lack of sleep) is rubbing me the wrong way. I guess in part because I'm not going to WDW to do a race, but I just so happen to be that we planned our vacation the same time the race is being held, so losing out on Saturday and to a degree Sunday is turning into an irritant.

As I mentioned, I've done Disney races before, but like 10 years ago, and I don't recall getting up so early. I think I got going around 4:00am (may a bit earlier), but then I was there to race, this time we're here for the kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom