Star Wars: Rogue One

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Got it. That actually makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for clearing that up :)
It is still highway robbery, but it is what it is.

We will normally try to hit a locally owned eat in theater called Sun Ray Cinemas that has much more reasonable prices on both tickets and food, but they just don't have screen and sound system you need for something like Star Wars.

Princess Leia

We will normally try to hit a locally owned eat in theater called Sun Ray Cinemas that has much more reasonable prices on both tickets and food, but they just don't have screen and sound system you need for something like Star Wars.
My local theater is usually ridiculously cheap (movies on Tuesdays are $3.25), and I'm signed up for concessions coupons through Cinemark. It helps. I know that theaters make their money off of concessions, but they can be ridiculous in their snack pricing.

tk924

Ah, yes. Reserved seating is the only way to watch a movie.

images

Nice, plush electric recliners with swivel food tray. :happy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My local theater is usually ridiculously cheap (movies on Tuesdays are $3.25), and I'm signed up for concessions coupons through Cinemark. It helps. I know that theaters make their money off of concessions, but they can be ridiculous in their snack pricing.
The local AMC is somewhere in the $5-$7 range for matinee times.

WhatJaneSays

In my head I know why theaters have high priced concessions, but at some point I feel like the bigger chains have priced themselves out of better returns. The AMC 24 at Disney Springs is one of the busiest theaters, yet the rate of people getting concessions is extremely low.
(I'm sure partly due to the easy access to other food options, why pay $6 for a so-so hot dog when I can get a great corn dog +fries or 2 empanadas for $8?)

I'm already planning that my second (or third) viewing of Rogue One will be at the "local" drive in, because why not?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
First and foremost, I want to know what kind of a movie theater you're going to that has reserved seating??? The only things I've had to reserve seating for have been sports venues and theater productions (like Phantom) I usually go to Cinemark theaters, and have a pretty decent time. I highly suggest getting there early. When I saw The Force Awakens last year, 3 days after it premiered, I didn't get there until a few minutes before the movie started, and ended up in the 3rd row. "Never again!" I said, not knowing that I would be in the first row when I saw Deadpool in February.

I'm planning on going Friday or Saturday (at a local Cinemark), and buying my tickets in advance (once I figure out my dad's schedule, since he'll want to go). We'll probably get there at least 15 minutes early (though I think the latest would be 20 minutes lol). I live in a university town, and most of the students should be gone by Saturday afternoon, so there shouldn't be a huge wait at the theater (though again, I have learned my lesson after TFA and Deadpool). I think it all depends on what theater you go to, and what crowds are usually like for opening day movies. I fully expect theaters to have several screens reserved for Rogue One, so it should be easier to pick a time that works best for you.

Looking back on your other posts, I think you should be okay going into Rogue One without any prior Star Wars knowledge (I think). Sort of like how Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them can stand on it's own without Harry Potter, Rogue One should be able to stand on it's own. Before you ask- the sequel to Rogue One is called Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It came out in 1977 ;) This is probably going to be the only movie with these characters (because I fully expect 75% of them to die before the end).

In terms of the watching order (idk if you've started yet), I'd simply just watched IV, V, VI, and VII. If you want, check out the prequels for Young!Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson & Ewan McGregor doing a pretty decent job with what they're handed, Jar Jar Binks- the worst Star Wars character ever, and Darth Maul- one of the coolest villains designed who unfortunately was not given a lot to do. I don't remember anything from the prequels being mentioned in The Force Awakens (episode VII), so you probably could be okay skipping them.

(This turned out to be a lot longer than I expected, please let me know if you have questions)

We have 2 near me in N. Virginia Alamo Draft House and Cobb.

Princess Leia

http://www.avclub.com/review/rogue-one-adventure-star-wars-dark-side-247345 The AV Club gave it a B. Not the grade I was hoping for, but I'll take it. Two things that stood out to me:
  • The author isn't so keen about Jyn, and believes that the reshoots may have occurred to make her more relatable
  • The author doesn't think that Krennic is a great villain
It's darker than Empire. @21stamps , I'm not sure how your son normally handles dark movies, but this is something you might want to look into. Growing up, I didn't like Empire because of how dark it was (oh how the times have changed, since it's one of my favorite films now). In comparison to A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, it was hard for 5-to-8-year-old me to watch. If you haven't watched Empire Strikes Back, it sort of deals with our main trio being separated for the majority of the film, three characters are tortured (though we don't see anything happen to Leia on screen), one character is frozen, and one has his arm cut off. As Rogue One is bleaker than that, I'd look into parental sites or something (I'm not a parent, just a Star Wars lover who used to be scared of Empire and a couple scenes in Jabba's palace).

"The path to A New Hope is littered with bodies, wreckage, and sacrifice." This sounds like my theory of 75% of the characters dying could be accurate.

There is a heavily used CGI Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin) that may not be so great

Last edited:

Princess Leia

CNN's review: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/13/entertainment/rogue-one-review/
New York Times' review: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/movies/star-wars-rogue-one-review.html?_r=0
Variety's review: http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-review-1201939299/

CNN is more positive than the Times (who, unlike the AV Club, liked Felicity Jones in the movie). Both mention that it's dark and gritty (apparently it's rated PG-13 for 'Endless War', a category that I didn't know existed), and CNN even mentions that it's probably not suited for younger kids. Variety just states that younger audiences could be bored or confused.

I'm still excited for the movie, regardless. Idk if it will give me the chills that TFA gave me (when Finn starts using the lightsaber, my heart soared from hearing that familiar hum again), but it sounds like something I'll like.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

It's sitting at 83% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is down from Force Awakens 92%. Metacritic has Rogue One with a score of 66, and Force Awakens with 81. So clearly not wowing the critics as much as Force Awakens did.

TB4244

I saw Rogue One at a special screening tonight in London and whereas TFA left me disappointed this one blew me away.

It's quite intense and brutal in places so I agree with previous posters that if you've got little'uns it might not be suitable for them.

I won't say too much more as you'll all probably go and see it but as a hardened Original Trilogy fan I have come away happy.

21stamps

Well bummer. I am 1-3 in that race. :(

Still looking forward to giving RO a try this weekend.
Me too.
http://www.avclub.com/review/rogue-one-adventure-star-wars-dark-side-247345 The AV Club gave it a B. Not the grade I was hoping for, but I'll take it. Two things that stood out to me:
  • The author isn't so keen about Jyn, and believes that the reshoots may have occurred to make her more relatable
  • The author doesn't think that Krennic is a great villain
It's darker than Empire. @21stamps , I'm not sure how your son normally handles dark movies, but this is something you might want to look into. Growing up, I didn't like Empire because of how dark it was (oh how the times have changed, since it's one of my favorite films now). In comparison to A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, it was hard for 5-to-8-year-old me to watch. If you haven't watched Empire Strikes Back, it sort of deals with our main trio being separated for the majority of the film, three characters are tortured (though we don't see anything happen to Leia on screen), one character is frozen, and one has his arm cut off. As Rogue One is bleaker than that, I'd look into parental sites or something (I'm not a parent, just a Star Wars lover who used to be scared of Empire and a couple scenes in Jabba's palace).

"The path to A New Hope is littered with bodies, wreckage, and sacrifice." This sounds like my theory of 75% of the characters dying could be accurate.

There is a heavily used CGI Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin) that may not be so great

Thank you. I had looked it up on my go to site- common sense media. Below is an excerpt. They say it's for ages 10+.

I am a walking contradiction. My child was not allowed to watch any tv period before his 3rd birthday...and at that time it was 20 minutes a few days per week Disney Jr or PBS only, and I watched and researched the show first. This continued until age 5, and I still monitor the shows. However-- I let him watch all of the SW movies.lol.

I ended up reserving seats at a theater 30 minutes from my house.. only half way decent ones I could find. Based on your info..Maybe I shouldn't have chosen IMAX 3D? Hopefully it's not too gory!

IMG_9228.PNG

Princess Leia

Me too.

Thank you. I had looked it up on my go to site- common sense media. Below is an excerpt. They say it's for ages 10+.

I am a walking contradiction. My child was not allowed to watch any tv period before his 3rd birthday...and at that time it was 20 minutes a few days per week Disney Jr or PBS only, and I watched and researched the show first. This continued until age 5, and I still monitor the shows. However-- I let him watch all of the SW movies.lol.

I ended up reserving seats at a theater 30 minutes from my house.. only half way decent ones I could find. Based on your info..Maybe I shouldn't have chosen IMAX 3D? Hopefully it's not too gory!

View attachment 179601
It's ok, my parents were the same way with me and my sister growing up. If it wasn't PBS, CBC for kids (I still don't know why we picked up that channel) or Disney Jr (which sometimes we had, sometimes we didn't, depending on if we had cable), we weren't watching it. For movies though, it was strictly Disney, a few musicals... and Star Wars- the only PG movies we could watch. They saw Phantom Menace before us though. My sister and I had to wait for that one to come out on VHS before we could watch it, lol

Anyways, I hope you and your son have a great time at the movies :)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's my daughter. She's not "forbidden" from watching TV per se, she just has absolutely no interest in it. But she's two years old and knows Chewbacca, Stormtroopers, even Boba Fett by name. A particularly proud moment was last weekend at the toy store when she correctly identified which of two images was Kylo Ren and which was Darth Vader (Dark Gator, as she calls him).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom