Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

gerarar

Premium Member
Seems like Tom Brady got to ride Rise on Monday before park opening from the short video posted today.

512084B4-94BD-44EC-ABCD-8528E1223D6C.jpeg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Seems like Tom Brady got to ride Rise on Monday before park opening from the short video posted today.

View attachment 545640

Mmmhmm..... He's such an interesting person.....

AEfx

The whole thing is just preposterous to begin with...not that a new, complex attraction can go down for a day. That's a given, it happens. But the impact when it does is so great because of the convoluted mess they created in the first place by having this new, signature attraction designed in the way it was. This needed to eat people. Instead, we have people planning vacations around this attraction, which only a select group of phone clickers ever even gets a chance to ride.

Honestly, whole thing blows my mind...

mergatroid

The whole thing is just preposterous to begin with...not that a new, complex attraction can go down for a day. That's a given, it happens. But the impact when it does is so great because of the convoluted mess they created in the first place by having this new, signature attraction designed in the way it was. This needed to eat people. Instead, we have people planning vacations around this attraction, which only a select group of phone clickers ever even gets a chance to ride.

It's the popularity of the ride that makes it so hard to ride. The whole 'experience' is what people love in my opinion. This includes the 'trip' into space and being caught and placed in a cell. To tell a story in this unique manner, it would be hard to make it a people eater. They could have skipped the trip and being captured part I suppose or changed that part to just be part of the ride, but then it would lose the uniqueness of the story telling somewhat.

People often complain about new rides being too short or not good enough, in this case making the attraction as good as it comes at a price. Star Wars is popular, the attraction is a long well built family ride and that makes it so much in demand. Throw in the pandemic and we've only ever seen it operating using Boarding Groups which is wasn't originally designed for, hence it having more than the one queue option. I'm not saying it's impossible to have a head liner 'people eater', but I think to tell the story they want to on this one there's not many other options without losing quality to make it more efficient.

Put it this way, personally I'd rather have the quality of the whole experience and have it more difficult to ride than to have it 'dumbed down' so more people can ride it. I do also think that when things are 'back to normal' that they'll introduce a standby line which in my opinion would make it fairer for those willing to wait.

GladToBeHear

This. We masked up and made an impromptu trip to WDW back in August/September just so we would have a chance to ride this attraction. Because it probably won't happen again for a long time. The whole day there was stressful because of it. And we only got a boarding group after guest relations intervened -- because not everyone in my family was fast enough on their phones. Some of them were almost in tears (including my wife). It was no fun. But I'm glad we made the trip when we did.

All that being said -- it's a great attraction (if you actually get a chance to ride it).

AEfx

This. We masked up and made an impromptu trip to WDW back in August/September just so we would have a chance to ride this attraction. Because it probably won't happen again for a long time. The whole day there was stressful because of it. And we only got a boarding group after guest relations intervened -- because not everyone in my family was fast enough on their phones. Some of them were almost in tears (including my wife). It was no fun. But I'm glad we made the trip when we did.

All that being said -- it's a great attraction (if you actually get a chance to ride it).
Exactly. You don't build a super-headline attraction based on the most popular IP of all time that people plan entire trips to visit based on the advertising, and then underbuild it to make it such a logistical nightmare that people have to stand outside the gates before the park even opens, booking it with a cell phone in a seven second window. It's just preposterous. It's bad enough now with limited park capacity - when capacity is at 100% and more of the general public is there, versus super-Disney fans who went in the middle of a pandemic and put up with it, I can imagine the lines at Guest Services are rightfully going to extend down Hollywood Blvd on a daily basis.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Exactly. You don't build a super-headline attraction based on the most popular IP of all time that people plan entire trips to visit based on the advertising, and then underbuild it to make it such a logistical nightmare that people have to stand outside the gates before the park even opens, booking it with a cell phone in a seven second window. It's just preposterous. It's bad enough now with limited park capacity - when capacity is at 100% and more of the general public is there, versus super-Disney fans who went in the middle of a pandemic and put up with it, I can imagine the lines at Guest Services are rightfully going to extend down Hollywood Blvd on a daily basis.
Honestly, they should have done Great Movie Ride vehicles on steroids.

TikibirdLand

It's the popularity of the ride that makes it so hard to ride. The whole 'experience' is what people love in my opinion. This includes the 'trip' into space and being caught and placed in a cell. To tell a story in this unique manner, it would be hard to make it a people eater. They could have skipped the trip and being captured part I suppose or changed that part to just be part of the ride, but then it would lose the uniqueness of the story telling somewhat.

People often complain about new rides being too short or not good enough, in this case making the attraction as good as it comes at a price. Star Wars is popular, the attraction is a long well built family ride and that makes it so much in demand. Throw in the pandemic and we've only ever seen it operating using Boarding Groups which is wasn't originally designed for, hence it having more than the one queue option. I'm not saying it's impossible to have a head liner 'people eater', but I think to tell the story they want to on this one there's not many other options without losing quality to make it more efficient.

Put it this way, personally I'd rather have the quality of the whole experience and have it more difficult to ride than to have it 'dumbed down' so more people can ride it. I do also think that when things are 'back to normal' that they'll introduce a standby line which in my opinion would make it fairer for those willing to wait.
they need to add reliability to "quality of the experience". There's alot of tech there that, frankly, isn't needed (i.e. the cannons that are moving on trackless vehicles). They need some of the old imagineers, like Bob Gurr, to help them with reliability. I never saw the Kong attraction with as much downtime as this ride. And, Kong was just as immersive.

mergatroid

they need to add reliability to "quality of the experience". There's alot of tech there that, frankly, isn't needed (i.e. the cannons that are moving on trackless vehicles). They need some of the old imagineers, like Bob Gurr, to help them with reliability. I never saw the Kong attraction with as much downtime as this ride. And, Kong was just as immersive.
When Universal opened it's reliability was dreadful. Many attractions including Kongfrontation kept going down for months, they actually tried suing the company that built their attractions and had to give free tickets out to numerous guests to return in the future. I love Universal and I enjoyed Kongfrontation but wouldn't say it was anyway near as immersive as ROTR.

If there's anything positive to be said about Universal Studios Florida's grand opening on June 7, 1990, it's that the World Wide Web wasn't around yet to allow theme park fans from around the Internet to roast the park in real time. But everyone on site at Universal that day, including local and national news reporters and other invited guests, certainly did their best to do just that. Even Disneyland's rough opening — with ladies shoes sinking in fresh asphalt, inoperative water fountains and hours-long lines — looked like a day with a private VIP tour guide compared with Universal Studios Florida's debut, when almost none of the park's rides actually worked.

corran horn

When Universal opened it's reliability was dreadful. Many attractions including Kongfrontation kept going down for months, they actually tried suing the company that built their attractions and had to give free tickets out to numerous guests to return in the future. I love Universal and I enjoyed Kongfrontation but wouldn't say it was anyway near as immersive as ROTR.
Yes John, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down the pirates don't eat the tourists.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You ain’t kidding. I was there 2 weeks later. Interesting to say the least.

mergatroid

You ain’t kidding. I was there 2 weeks later. Interesting to say the least.
I went the year it opened and was relatively lucky with regards to riding several attractions. The problem they had was later that day when there were only two attractions still operating and everybody joined the lines for those two attractions and chaos ensued.

I've got to say though apart from the Volcano Bay opening fiasco, Universal are usually pretty fantastic at what they do nowadays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom