Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

DarkMetroid567

A great big ‘ehh’ from me. I appreciate the scope of the experience very much, but the ride itself was pretty lackluster. Many rides are better. Lot of hallways with piping and ductwork scenery lol.

Glad the Star Wars crew enjoys it tho. You deserve it :)

Which is why losing the preshows is so darn important. Most of the ride is Hallways: The Ride with a cute elevator and a nice drop. Not even close to as fun as Spider-Man or Flight.

Rich Brownn

The hallways ae mainly before the AT-AT room... it helps with the grand reveal (Cinematically speaking its like going from a close-up to a wide angle view). After that there's more than just hallways - you have blasts, encounter with Kylo, elevator with lightsaber, battle with the cannons, the last encounter with Kylo, and then the drop and escape. The beginning is mostly tunnels because a this point, the chase hasn't begun. :) <its similar to how Pirates closes in right before the scene with the pirate ship bombarding the city. Its designed to be a grand reveal>

I am Timmy

The ride itself reminded us of Escape from Gringotts, with the zooming and stopping for story and zooming again. The biggest wow factor came when the doors first opened, whoa. Cool. We liked the ride, and the details, but upon quick reflection both my adult sons like FoP better. Now, they've only ridden RotR once, but it was the complete ride with preshow. They have ridden FoP loads now, but compared their first time to this. FoP left them blown away, this was "fun!". They had multiple opportunities on our last trip to try to ride it again (and again, if they wanted), they opted for the one. They rode MF multiple times, but that never really saw more than a 30 min. wait while we were there (Dec. up to the 24th). They felt like that was more like playing a video game - which is probably why I sucked at it, lol. They put me on left pilot for my 1st time (they being my boys)! I also found Hagrid's terrifying while the boys were "fun".

DarkMetroid567

The hallways ae mainly before the AT-AT room... it helps with the grand reveal (Cinematically speaking its like going from a close-up to a wide angle view). After that there's more than just hallways - you have blasts, encounter with Kylo, elevator with lightsaber, battle with the cannons, the last encounter with Kylo, and then the drop and escape. The beginning is mostly tunnels because a this point, the chase hasn't begun. :) <its similar to how Pirates closes in right before the scene with the pirate ship bombarding the city. Its designed to be a grand reveal>

I’ve been on the ride a lot. Even with the fun stuff in mind, the set is so samey that it still feels like Hallways: The Ride.

disneygeek90

I’ve been on the ride a lot. Even with the fun stuff in mind, the set is so samey that it still feels like Hallways: The Ride.
You're escaping in a Star Destroyer, lol. I think you see a ton of things other than "hallway." It still floors me that every single inch of the ride is completely themed. From the ceiling to the corners not a show light in sight. People can like FoP all they want, but there's something about physical sets, multiple ride systems, and an actually good preshow that puts the ride well in front of FoP for me.

Epcot_Imagineer

Decided I'd just come here to say I finally rode the ride after keeping myself away from all spoilers and on-ride videos in order to be completely surprised by everything on the ride. I have to say, going in blind is the absolute best way to experience this attraction. The pre-shows, in my mind, were the absolute highlight of the attraction. Audible oo's and aa's for the Rey hologram/BB-8, and I was completely stunned/surprised by the transport to the Star Destroyer. Absolutely mind-boggling how much thought and care was put into the execution of that transition. My fiancé and I are still in shock of it almost a week after riding. The vehicles moved much quicker than I expected, and the effects for the blasters/first order soldiers went great. Found myself ducking constantly from blaster fire even when there was no need.

There was so much happening in the ride, but not so much that it confused me. As someone who hasn't been reading the back and forth on this thread for a good couple hundred pages, I've got to say this is my favorite WDW attraction. I'm ready to read some comments and criticisms now.

Mike S

You're escaping in a Star Destroyer, lol. I think you see a ton of things other than "hallway." It still floors me that every single inch of the ride is completely themed. From the ceiling to the corners not a show light in sight. People can like FoP all they want, but there's something about physical sets, multiple ride systems, and an actually good preshow that puts the ride well in front of FoP for me.
I really don’t understand the too many hallways thing. A Star Destroyer is basically a military vessel. They’re made for utility not to be pretty.

DarkMetroid567

Yeah, I'm not sure what else people are expecting to look at that we're not seeing. Maybe some nice house plants? Do those grow in space?

I’m not suggesting they add anymore; I realize they’re constrained by immersion and setting.

It’s just boring. Telling someone not to be bored doesn’t make them any less bored. I don’t know what else to tell y’all.

gerarar

Premium Member
You're literally in "hallways" for a good 10-20 seconds, than you're met with stormtroopers shooting at you, which lead you to the gigantic AT-AT room, than the bridge with Kylo and Gen Hux....than an elevator with Kylo barging his way in....then a moving set piece with cannons. Then you're on your way to the escape pods but stopped briefly by the man himself.

Flashing lights everywhere after the first encounter reduce the feeling that you're in some "boring" hallway anymore imo.

skiir97

During the 2nd Kylo encounter when he is using the force to pull you in, when you reach the point when the vehicle is closest to Kylo, there are tons of show lights in plain sight if you look above you.

disneygeek90

During the 2nd Kylo encounter when he is using the force to pull you in, when you reach the point when the vehicle is closest to Kylo, there are tons of show lights in plain sight if you look above you.
Seems a bit like grasping at straws there. Point is, I have never seen a dark ride so incredibly themed, far and above any other attraction I personally have ever witnessed. I went on ROTR and Gringotts/Hagrids the same day on Sunday, and I couldn't help but notice a ton of lights and framing throughout much of both rides.

The Pho

Seems a bit like grasping at straws there. Point is, I have never seen a dark ride so incredibly themed, far and above any other attraction I personally have ever witnessed. I went on ROTR and Gringotts/Hagrids the same day on Sunday, and I couldn't help but notice a ton of lights and framing throughout much of both rides.
Comparing it to coasters is a little unfair. There really are only a handful of coasters that try to immerse you and Gringotts and Hagrids aren’t them. Personally I think that Haunted Mansion is the closest comparable ride that is also pretty much fully immersive for most places you’ll look, while also having multiple stages to the experience. If you’re looking to spot the flaws in Rise’s immersion though you’ll find multiple areas that fall a bit short, but like Haunted Mansion you’re unlikely to notice them if you aren’t looking for them.

disneygeek90

Comparing it to coasters is a little unfair. There really are only a handful of coasters that try to immerse you and Gringotts and Hagrids aren’t them. Personally I think that Haunted Mansion is the closest comparable ride that is also pretty much fully immersive for most places you’ll look, while also having multiple stages to the experience. If you’re looking to spot the flaws in Rise’s immersion though you’ll find multiple areas that fall a bit short, but like Haunted Mansion you’re unlikely to notice them if you aren’t looking for them.
My complaint with Hagrids is the "inside" show room. I was more referencing show rooms that forget the ceiling is still part of the attraction. I'll keep looking to find other areas in Rise, but it's impressed me over and over.

The Pho

My complaint with Hagrids is the "inside" show room. I was more referencing show rooms that forget the ceiling is still part of the attraction. I'll keep looking to find other areas in Rise, but it's impressed me over and over.
Ah, that is a big issue for a lot of rides. I wasn’t trying to put down Rise either, it’s absolutely an impressive attraction.

Rich Brownn

Probably the closest would be Haunted Mansion, where there are even ceilings in the house part :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom