Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

TrojanUSC

Great movie ride was able to use fog / cryo effects in the oz and alien scenes and real fire effects in Indiana Jones and Wild West scenes. Theatrical haze and / or low fog, and / or cryo are used in muppets, beauty and the beast, frozen, and little mermaid and that’s just in the same park.

What attraction did you work where it was turned off?

Indy in CA also uses quite a bit.

YodaMan

Great movie ride was able to use fog / cryo effects in the oz and alien scenes and real fire effects in Indiana Jones and Wild West scenes. Theatrical haze and / or low fog, and / or cryo are used in muppets, beauty and the beast, frozen, and little mermaid and that’s just in the same park.

What attraction did you work where it was turned off?

Wasn’t there some issue at Everest where they used to use fog to hide the track switch but had to turn it off because it kept triggering sensors?

TrainsOfDisney

Wasn’t there some issue at Everest where they used to use fog to hide the track switch but had to turn it off because it kept triggering sensors?

Yes. My understanding was it was related to the fact they were using a water mist. If you had ridden the attraction with the fog you would know the huge difference fog can make! Not seeing the track switch and falling through the fog and out of the mountain was an incredible effect.

Steph15251

Yes. My understanding was it was related to the fact they were using a water mist. If you had ridden the attraction with the fog you would know the huge difference fog can make! Not seeing the track switch and falling through the fog and out of the mountain was an incredible effect.
I miss that part with the ride,but imo I do not think great rides need all these special effects to make them great.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. Being water based it was starting to corrode sensors.

TrainsOfDisney

The tricky thing about rise is there are so many moving parts. With Everest, as long as the coaster parts work the ride works. The bird, yeti, fog, etc. can all be broken and the ride still works.

With rise you’ve got a lot of moving parts. Tower of terror does too but there are basically 2 rides in the building so you can at least operate at half capacity.

Add in all of the pre-show rooms that have lots of moving parts as well and goodness that’s a lot of maintenance.

Smoke/fog effects with animatronics is nothing new, especially from Disney....I'm sure they could work it out if it was intended

It's the projectors.

Imagine setting off a tiny puff of smoke in a movie theater. The projectors light becomes visible for a LONG time. With all the projection mapping, there would be no way to use smoke/haze effects without revealing all the projectors and making the images murky.

Spiderman and Transformers (projection rides) have controlled blasts of cryo fog that are kept well away from the projectors (basically in fan controlled hallways). Both are designed to cascade down and dissipate like a waterfall.

Small C02 puffs could be used - but the expense and upkeep could be problematic. All day and all night - tons of C02 tanks replace constantly. Would they need to pump fresh oxygen into the show building? Expensive.

TrainsOfDisney

Small C02 puffs could be used - but the expense and upkeep could be problematic. All day and all night - tons of C02 tanks replace constantly. Would they need to pump fresh oxygen into the show building? Expensive.

Yes... a simple effect like c02 “cryo” that used to be included in attractions such as muppets 3d and spaceship earth is now too expensive for the “most expensive attraction ever built”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom